“Perfect Family Basecamp for Exploring Rome” 5 of 5 stars

The Beehive
Via Marghera 8, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #15 of 549 Specialty lodging in Rome
Teramo, Italy
“Perfect Family Basecamp for Exploring Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed with our 2 year old son in one of their immaculate and very pretty spacious ‘Sweets’ with en-suite bathroom and full access to their very handy family-friendly communal kitchenette. Our son particularly enjoyed the sweets left on the pillows and sniffing the gorgeous handmade soap. Noise from a bustling Rome was pretty minimal inside and we all slept well.

Wi-fi was speedy and there is use of an iPad for customers as well maps and guidebooks for those that like to discover a city by more traditional means. Staff are incredibly helpful too on handing out tips of local restaurants in the area. We had breakfast in their organic cafe which was a lovely space and provided some great poached eggs. There is communal area to relax indoors and outdoors.

The hotel's location to Rome’s main railway station,Termini, means it is perfectly situated for walking around the city or for jumping on the bus to the different locations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

665 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Rohnert Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have been staying at the Beehive for years. I go to Italy every year now. It is my treat to myself and the Beehive is always my point of arrival and departure in Rome. It is extremely easy to find and very close to Rome termini - the main Train Station in Rome (just one block). I love the people who run it. All the years i have been going there they have always been extremely friendly and helpful. The cleanliness is great, not always perfect perfect, but it gets a lot of traffic. I have met some wonderful people there from all over the world as well as from the United States. I have stayed in the dorm and have rented private rooms as well as rooms in the separate quarters they have (apartment with kitchen). I like staying both places, because in the apartment I can make my own food - i haven't found the greatest of restaurants in the vacinity of the main train station, they might be there, i just haven't found them. One of the best treats for me at the Beehive are their delicious breakfasts. They specialize in really good healthy wholesome and vegetarian foods.

Room Tip: I like staying in the dorm because I get to meet some interesting people. The apartments are nice c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed with my teenage son for a few nights in November in a twin room. We wanted somewhere close to Termini which this is; a 3 minute straight walk. The area around Termini is not the most salubrious but your risk is pushy ticket touts rather than being mugged.

Rooms were large and clean. Bathrooms shared but there are sufficient that we never had to wait. Given location very quiet at night. Ceiling fan had failed in our room but reception immediately found a pedestal fan for us. Lounge, garden and seating near reception give good opportunity to talk to other visitors. Most visitors from USA but with a smattering from elsewhere across the globe. I liked the fact it was not too large.

Staff all friendly and helpful. There are a couple of good restaurants round the corner. Breakfast extra cost but good. Prices are good given its Rome! Its Wifi works if that's needed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I chose the Beehive due to positive feedback from other reviewers. In summary, I confirm what others have said - convenient location to Termini, clean and helpful staff. It is a small property with perhaps 6-7 private rooms and just one 8-bed dorm. This business model intrigues me because I think the owners are making accessible their property to those who want to stay in dorms but still experience the best of what the Bee-hive has to offer. Their small lounge downstairs is a nice place to relax but can get crowded.For those who want to meet other travelers, this atmosphere does not permit boisterous conversation like you may see in other "typical euro hostels." So you will be disappointed if you want a party atmosphere as there is nothing outside this hostel for such personalities!! For people who want just quiet, this place is an oasis. If you think you will spend late nights in Rome at other attractions, then this place can be perceived as "far." For e.g. after a nice stroll in Piazza del Popolo or at Trevi Fountain at night, it can take at least 30-40 minutes door-door by bus/train. So consider this factor, if your time is short in Rome. For me, the Bee Hive was the best value because I stayed for more than 5 nights and preferred to have a nice evening winding down in a quiet, comforting atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed before a cruise. Location was excellent--only 2 blocks from central train station and numerous local buses. Owners extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Spotless rooms--shared bathroom was not a problem. Inexpensive. We would not hesitate to stay there again. The info on their website is very extensive and useful, including recommended restaurants and local sights often overlooked. Ask them how to get to the best gelato place in Rome!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is my second time to stay at The Beehive and it didn't disappoint. Convenient, very, very clean, extremely helpful and hospitable employees, and a quiet respite. I have only stayed there during off-season, so cannot comment otherwise. Thanks

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Ubud, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had heard about the Beehive long before I stayed there, and the reviews were always positive. I finally understood why. As someone who used hostels a lot in my early days but have now graduated to family hotels, I have missed the ease, accessibility and character of those early experiences... but the Beehive balances those two worlds beautifully. It has all the amenities and privacy you would expect in a high end hotel, but the fun and friendliness of a hostel. As a bonus, it is exceptionally CLEAN and well located. The hosts Steve and Linda are very helpful and great storytellers, and its obvious how much they really care about their place, and the people in it. Cannot recommend it enough.

Room Tip: the new 'Sweets' were spacious, quiet, and the beds very comfy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Beehive? Share your experiences!