“Reasonable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #150 of 632 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Birmingham, England
“Reasonable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

Nice, clean and tidy rooms. Very helpful staff but the breakfast was pretty poor. Worth staying in (Good price) but head out for breakfast !

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

First 3 nights at Palace Hostel was great. However if they ever offer you a "PRIVATE APARTMENT" DO NOT take it. Because we liked it the first 3 nights, we decided to go back for 2 nights after and then the staff said the triple room was full, but said they had a "private apartment" available for the same price, and the bathroom is shared. So we took it, except later on I found out it's actually some of the staff's dorm/apartment. We had to share the apartment with a bunch of guys, and the kitchen was absoltely gross. Washroom was not that clean. Worst of all, I got flea/bedbug bites that first night. Needless to say I changed hotel right after. I just find it absolutely unacceptable that they would rent out their own private apartment (asked me to pay cash too saying the machine was broken) makes me wonder if the staffs were just making money on the side or something.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

We stayed for 4 nights at the hostel in a 6 bedroom all girls room. The room was very clean and the shared bathroom in our room was very clean. The other roommates we had were very friendly and we all shared place to go and see in Rome. Most of the staff speak perfect english too. There's a bar in the hostel where most people hang out at night and that's also where they serve the continental breakfast in the morning. This hostel is 5 mins from the train station which was very convenient for us since we had quite some luggage. The staff was very friendly and offered to help us with our luggage to our room since there is no elevator (our room was on the 4th floor). There is also a internet cafe at the place for $3 euros for an hour. Since we were close to the train station, we took it to all the major tourist attractions (i.e. Colliseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain). Only thing I noticed was that there were pigeons cooing very loudly outside our windows in the morning. Other than that, I think this hostel is a great value for 20 euros a person per night. it's also close to a supermarket and laundry mats. I'd definitely stay again.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California/Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

Not only did I go to Rome without a reservation, but it was also All Saint's Weekend when I arrived. The staff was immensly amusing, entertaining, comforting, and are still my friends. I stayed in a 4 person bedroom the first night which was really cheap I though. 20E... The bar inside was the biggest attraction. It was such a pleasure to be able to drink, get drunk, have the best times of my life, and know that I didn't have to get on the metro and walk back to my hostel. I love this hostel. This hostel made me choose to never stay in a hotel again. Only hostels, since my experience at Hotel Alessandro Palace!

• Liked — Dante, Lucca, Portugual: The Staff At The Palace
  • Disliked — That I had to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Be Prepared to have a GREAT TIME
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

I stayed at the Hostel Alessandro Palace for four nights last week and came back home to California not only with my souveniers but with flea bites! I started breaking out into hives the next day on my arms which then appeared on my both my legs, and neck. My body was suffering so terribly that I even had to go to the Emergency room two days later and the doctor told me it was a bad case of the flea bites and bumps were appearing all over my body as an allergic reaction. A few days later, things weren't improving so I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed me steroids to ease the itching pain and I've been taking them for two days now. I just called Hostel Alessandro Palace Downtown and told them about my situation and urged them to take better fumigation measures and she reluctantly said she'd look into it. I know that I will recover in a bout two weeks but I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through this themselves, especially if they have senstive skin like me. Please don't stay here -- enjoy your stay in Rome and then come back home without any bites!

Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

This hostel was amazing. While the shower cams at first were a little intimidating we began to embrace it while entertaining the ever so friendly staff.
The DVDs are available, just e-mail Alessandro he will gladly send some over cheap cheap.
In all seriousness (the above about the cameras is a JOKE...) the staff made it one of the most fun experiences we have had in Europe. They are incredibly friendly and fun and all these losers on trip advisor who say otherwise simply suck at life in general.
Staff helped us to our room, packed our bags, made our beds, brushed our hair, did our laundry, sang a myriad of bedtime songs, read us books, helped us brush up on our gymnastics, and got us blindingly drunk. Thanks for the solid bottle and half of wine every night.
The shower in room 12 rocked our socks off.. with awesome pressure and always hot... so if you plan on staying there request room 12:)
Get there before the week is over as most of the staff are moving to greener pastures. Thanks Wouter, Alex, Nemo (we know this is not actually your name), Tish, Sam, Danteeeeeeee Leganteee (we should be Saturday nights now!) and Luca :)
Lotsa South African-Australian love,
Andy and Carli xox

Stayed January 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

The Alessandro Palace is a good, solid hostel. Rooms are spacious and cleaned daily, and seem to have been recently renovated. There was a good deal of stair-climbing, but nothing unusual. Staff was very friendly and fun, especially the bartender. Some of the male guests in the bar were incredibly sketcy, but that's hostel life for you. All in all a good bet, especially for young people.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Alessandro Palace Hostel? Share your experiences!