“First-time solo backpacker friendly.” 4 of 5 stars

Alessandro Downtown Hostel
Via Carlo Cattaneo 23, 00185 Rome, Italy (Esquilino)   |
Ranked #205 of 724 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Quezon City, Philippines
“First-time solo backpacker friendly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed in a 6-bed dorm ensuite which was relatively spacious, with lockers that could easily fit my 38L backpack and hand carry bag. My top bunk bed was comfortable, with a clean pillow case, sheets, and comforter provided.

The staff at the reception was very helpful and friendly. (Shoutout to PJ!)

Things to watch out for:
1. Finding the hostel--the sign only reads "Hostel Downtown", because the are 3 or 4 hostels in the same building.
2. The lights in the private and common bathrooms are sensor type, so they shut off every 5 minutes while you're in the shower.

It's very easy to find from the Termini, and not a bad walking distance point from the main "must-see" sights of Rome if you want to explore the city by foot--something I'd definitely recommend. Otherwise, it's also very near the metros. The hostel provides a city map as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed for 9 nights in May,2013. Paid approx 26 euros per night for bed in 6 bed dorm. Ensuite room numbers 205 and 203. Both rooms were large and had a table and 3-4 chairs which is unusual for a hostel and is a welcome touch.

Pleased with cleanliness of hostel and friendliness of staff both in breakfast room and at reception where they will give advice, maps and organise chargeable Rome walks, tours and pub crawls. Breakfast is 4 euros extra and on balance is worth it. Laundry is shared with a sister/joint managed (?) hostel on 1st floor called Four Seasons Hostel and costs 4 euros per wash plus 1 euro for detergent plus 4 euros for dryer. There are no cooking facilities available, only a kettle, cups and plates.There are various vending machines for coffee, water and snacks. Food provisions can be bought at Spar Supermarket on Platform 1 of Termini and brought back to hostel for consumption.

I only booked one night initially to get a feel for the hostel and as confidence grew I extended for 2 more and eventually for 6 nights more once I was convinced the hostel and its guests were compatible with/to me. When staying in hostels your fellow guests can make or break your stay often with their activities. Nice atmosphere when I stayed, not too noisy.

Spent most evenings in hostel after spending day exploring Rome ( went on HOHO bus for 2 trips on arrival and got a 7 day bus/metro/tram pass for remainder of stay which costs 24 euros ). Went out of Rome for one day by train to Tivoili, then Villa Adriana (Emperor Hadrian's Country Retreat) returning by Cotral rural bus.

Take a padlock for locker or buy from hostel for 5 euros, towels rent out at 2 euros for your stay. WiFi is free and works well..

Whole stay was enjoyable and everything worked for me whilst I was there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Nowy Sącz, Polska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in a large room with six beds. It was clean and colorful, got clean sheets and my bed was comfortable. There were lockers to put things in but everybody needs to have their own locks. Met some really nice people, the staff of the hostel was polite and helpful. Bathrooms could be better but can't really complain. Location - perfect!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here for one night in April 2013 with my boyfriend and we selected a 8 person mixed dorm room for the price. I chose this place because I was pleased to see its connection with Hostelling International--whose partner hostels I've had good experiences with in the past. We arrived late without a problem and the check-in staff was nice enough and it went quickly. 5 Euro key deposit which we did receive back the next day. We went up to the room and immediately assumed the two fresh-looking beds without any belongings on them were ours but didn't place anything on them (on a side note, we were slightly disappointed that our beds were not near each other's--it would be better to have a numbered system in their booking so that we could have wound up on the same bunk). When we returned later that night, we discovered someone sleeping on my boyfriend's bed, so it appeared that the 8-person room had 9 people (although some were still out). We asked for help at reception but they told us that they only had 8 people down for the room and we should just move someone else's things and make up a new bed for my boyfriend. We did this and no one came back to bother him later in the night, but it did not seem like the perfect solution. They were at full occupancy though, so nothing they could do, I guess? I also had to make up my bed which I did not want to do when others were already sleeping and I was on the top bunk. The most upsetting part of our stay was when in the morning, I saw a piece of toilet paper on the ground and decided to pick it up and throw it away only to discover poop on the other side. Disgusting! Otherwise, the rooms and the hostel were very clean and the location was quite convenient and close to Termini train station. Fine hostel, but bad experience due to the guests (and perhaps management of the situation).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staff were unhelpful, room was tacky, location was poor (although close to Termini station and they did supply maps), not the nicest area to be in at night and the layout of the hostel was very confusing.. Will not be returning again,

• Stayed May 2012
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Good hostel, with excellent location (near Termini station). The staffs are friendly and helpful. They have a free pizza at 8pm every day (except Sunday), where you can meet other travellers and have a good chat. I had a great time here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hostel building is very near the Termini and is actually not hard to find (though we kinda did). The reception is not on the first floor, so expect to climb the rather narrow stairs or squeeze into the lift big enough for regretably two.

The reception staffs were very approachable to remind you of breakfast times, and to give you walking directions to the Colosseum and other train stations. Both the shared toilet and the 8-bed room we stayed in were cleaned everyday, so thumbs up to the personnel!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Alessandro Downtown Hostel? Share your experiences!