“Rooms look quite modern, location is far from centre of town.. Theft?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Church Palace

You added The Church Palace to your Saves list
The Church Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Aurelia 481, 00165 Rome, Italy (Formerly Grand Hotel Palazzo Carpegna)   |
Ranked #636 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Sydney
“Rooms look quite modern, location is far from centre of town.. Theft?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

One of the first impressions of this hotel is its impressive building. The rooms look quite modern but maybe cheaply done.. The wardrobe door is not very solid. Bathroom was cramped but has modern taps and toilet.
When first checking in, the toilet seat in our room was cracked. When we came back to the room later that night, someone had come in to our room and fixed the seat without advising us. It would've been nice if we were advised earlier that someone would come and fix it whilst we were out.
That same night, we overheard a girl asking the reception to call the police as someone had stolen something from her room.
On the positive side, breakfast was great. Large range of food available, and plenty of food to feed the hundreds of people at breakfast.
This is a large hotel. Tour groups use this frequently so it may get rowdy.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is without any doubt an impressive building in a park setting and good location to the city center with the subway around the corner BUT it has very high ceilings, floor tiles and marble everywhere and the only piece of carpet can be found in the elevator (looks as old as the building). Why does this matter? The hotel is extremely noisy, you wake up because someone above you moves the chair or shuts the door, you hear the waterfall from above when someone flushes the toilet and the breakfast room is as noisy as a military cantina. The building was originally built as a convent and the rooms remind more of a cell than a hotel room. There is no place to put your suitcase except on the floor in front of your bed. The wardrobe is just an open area with 5 hangers and the Manager for housekeeping (if they have one) should have a look at the overall cleanliness. This place may be acceptable for tourists in jeans, coming with a bus and staying for two nights. It is a great pity that this impressive building is being used as a simple and run down hotel. Just take a look at the pictures.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Near the end of the metro, you will find this imposing pretty hotel. THe rooms and bathroom are very nice, and the buffet breakfast has plenty of choice (still puzzling at all the choices of cake for breakfast). The main drawbacks for this place are the poor service from the front desk staff, and the distance from town. That said, it was the choice for our tour group to meet, so it was convenient to stay there before we started our Europe tour.

Would I recommend it? Yes, if you are staying for one night before joining a tour leaving there. But if you are looking for a base for your own tour of Rome, I'd recommend something closer to the centre of action.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have beautiful views over the gardens (south wast corner) - but ask for one on a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Don't let the hotels website fool you. The photos make the hotel look a lot nicer than it actually is. The hotel looks nice from the outside but from the moment you step in you get a cold feeling. The staff are very matter of fact and there are no homely areas for you to sit other than than the bar/courtyard area. The bedrooms are a good size but are basic and dated. The rooms were clean and the towels changed everyday. The hotel was only a metro ride from all the major attractions so was a good location if you don't want to be right in the centre of Rome. Breakfast was served in a very large cafeteria like room and was adequate. We won't be going back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was my first stop on a three week trip in Italy. I booked this hotel last minute and I had no idea what to expect. Boy was I ever impressed by my sepection!

To begin, this hotel is not in the heart of Rome but a rather quieter area. The Cornelia red line metro station is easily accessable and gets you to all the main attractions in the heart of this magnificent city. The hotel itself sits far from the main road which means very little noise and it overlooks beautiful gardens on one side and a quaint little outdoor market between it and the main road (Via Aurelia).

When I entered my room my jaw dropped. It was large! It had a separate living room that connected to a beautiful bedroom. It was extremely well kept, not a spec of dust! The washroom seemed brand new and the toiletries provided were of high quality. Even the towels felt like they were of superior quality. There were two TVs (not that you should be watching TV when in Rome), a sofa, safe, large wardrobe, minibar fridge, hairdryer etc...

The breakfast was included and it too was high end. Typical Italian favorites such as cured meats, Italian bread and pastires but also North American favorites like eggs, bacon etc... I loved the little packs of Nutella! I was not a fan of the instant espresso... quite frankly it's a shame to have bad coffee in Rome. However, they do offer real espresso at their other small bistro also located in the hotel.

Then there was the staff. Ritchel was so helpful! Thank you Ritchel for helping me with all of my questions.. grazie mille! In fact all of the staff were patient and friendly.

Wireless (WiFi) internet was only available in the lobby but that didn't affect the awesomeness of this hotel. By staying a little bit further away from the city centre you end up saving a lot of money... the value for this level of quality is exceptional to say the least. I highly recommend this hotel for those that don't mind begin just a little bit away from the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Ask to be in one of the tower rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay in this hotel. Hotel was stunning and food was great. Facilities were poor though, main thing was having no iron in the room or available from reception. Cost 9.50 Euro to have one shirt ironed. Also waiter in restaraunt was a bit unfriendly. Other than that a nice place.

• Stayed July 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

No help on finding out I'd been pickpocketed. No sleep due to Hotel noise. No basic medicine or scales. No basic manners. Non-existent customer service.

When I arrived at the Hotel I realised my wallet had been pickpocketed on the Metro. I lost all my Euros, credit and visa cards, travel cash card, drivers licence as well as other cards. The receptionist did not care at all. They gave me no guidance as to what to do. My mobile signal would not work in Italy so I needed to use their phone to cancel my bank cards and travel cash card urgently. Initially they would not let me use their phone because I was calling back to the UK, I literally had to beg them to use the phone. This is the last thing you need on finding out you've had all your money stolen abroad just as you've arrived in the country.

I must had got two or three hours sleep a night as outside our room the Hotel was receiving deliveries throughout the night so all I could was trucks and drivers shouting outside the Hotel. The Hotel walls are paper thin so in the middle of the night I could also hear tourists yelling in the corridors.

Due to the stress of being pickpocketed I had a raging headache and had run out of Paracetomol. I asked reception if I could have two Paracetamol to which they said no and told me to go to the Pharmacy ten minutes down the road once it opened in half an hour. Seriously, they can't spare Paracetomol???

My friend asked reception if they had scales we could use to weigh our luggage, after much thought the receptionist said no. I had warned my friend reception were going to say this!

My friend and I caused no issue or trouble to the Hotel which may excuse their treatment towards us. I will visit Rome again but will not be staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Church Palace? Share your experiences!