“Great place to stay in a fantastic location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Carlo Suite

You added San Carlo Suite to your Saves list
San Carlo Suite
Via del Corso, 112 | between Piazza del Popolo & Via Condotti, 00186 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)   |
Ranked #1,076 of 2,884 Rome B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great place to stay in a fantastic location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had the junior suite on the back side and it was extremely quiet. Our room was beautifully appointed and well designed with a wardrobe and two drawers on each side of the bed. The desk functions as a vanity and the shower is wonderful. And we loved having the ambiance of the fireplace. We had breakfast delivered to our room every day and every one of the staff was extremely helpful...from making eggs and cappuccino to making reservations and recommending restaurants and tours. They also surprised us with a nice bottle of Veuve Cliquot to celebrate New Years Eve!! The location is fantastic...in the middle of the best shopping and restaurants and very close to the Metro, Spanish Steps and Borghese Gardens.

• Stayed December 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
HYDE PARK, NEW YORK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

After arriving at this impossible to find hotel, we were told that we had no reservation even though I had a copy of my confirmation from hotels.com. After waiting in a tiny "sitting area" for over an hour, we were told that they could accomodate us at the rate we secured but would have to split the party up at another location for one night. Just arrived home and went online to check my credit card charges while in italy and San Carlo Suite overcharged me by $200 and my sister much more than that. We have to file a dispute with our credit card companies now...
Look elsewhere!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Vanina M, Proprietario at San Carlo Suite, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are sorry for the situation that has arisen during your stay at our San Carlo Suite, but we would like with this answer give you some clarification and to express also our point of view.
It 's true that when you arrive you had a booking through Hotels.com, but it is also true that the reservation was cancelled as well as written on the mail that you showed us.
Nevertheless, as we do with all our Guests, we have immediately provided assistance asking you to wait in our breakfast room, while we were trying to resolve the situation. You have been staying for the first night in two separate structures, and the next day, arranged in two adjoining rooms.
Regarding the charge on your card, we only charged the correct amounts, what happened with your credit card company we don’t know, since they were not in charge but only in pending, and did not depend on us. We are sorry for it, but certainly was not our fault. We sent you by e-mail he copy of your invoices where we showed you that were only one charge and not a double charge. Infact, after 48 hours you have written saying that the situation had returned to normal. I'm really sorry for this comment and for the inconvenience that you experienced, for us our customers are important and we never want them to leave our hotel unhappy.
For this reason, we invite you on your next visit to Rome, to return to us, to give you an experience that has always characterized us.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Four of us booked 2 rooms for 2 nights in October. When we arrived, we were told that the hotel did not have our reservations. Thankfully we each had our confirmation pages printed out, so they could not dispute the fact that we did indeed have reservations; although they had no record of them. We too had to wait in the infamous breakfast area for over an hour, while they sorted the situation out. I had to stay the first night at the Gigli D'Oro, where the water from the shower flooded the entire bathroom floor. The second night we moved all of our luggage; etc., to the San Carlo Suites.There is no staff there so you must speak to the staff via a web cam and telephone set up. This is only possible from 8-8, and only if someone is standing at the reception desk at the other hotel. The rooms are nice and new and clean, but clearly the hotel has problems.The air conditioning was not working properly, as stated by previous guests. Thankfully it was not hot, so we were able to deal with it. The staff was not pleasant and the impersonal service was insulting; especially considering the price. The hotel is in an ideal location but there are service flaws that they seem to have a problem correcting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

once i walked into the building, i found the smell of garbage pretty bad, unfortunately the smell continued throughout my stay. during the night, it was very noisy even with the windows closed. the hotel should have done something about it like some other hotel with the same problem. a building across the street was undergoing construction work starting around 7:00 am which made the matter worse. the mattress was uneven! the blinds were without blackout, so one could hardly sleep through early in the morning. the best they could offered for the snack was crossaint but they didn't refill, what was left was some cheap chips which were left untouched by any guest. the electronic interactive conciege worked but not the staff! whatever i asked for, they always said yes but no execution followed. In one incident, i asked for some toileteries, i asked Giusy, a female staff over the phone when would the toileteries be delivered after repeated requests over hours, she yelled at me as if i had requested something so unreasonable! i was so mad, so I hung up the phone. i could not understand such thing could ever happened! another thing was that mold was found in each piece of the tissue inside the tissue box, if i didn't open the box, i would never have discovered such gross thing! (see pictures uploaded). all in all, it was the worst experience i ever had in any hotel. i must warn all to avoid!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I together with our two young kids arrived in San Carlo Suite in early Aug 2012 at a melting temperature of 37C (or 98.6F).

Our choice of San Carlo Suite was definitely one of our greatest regrets.

We were checked in at the main building/reception over Gigli D'Oro Suite. The reception staff was initially polite and helpful, driving the 4 of us in a golf cart to San Carlo Suite which was about 5 to 10 min away. Our nightmare began as the staff showed us into our Royal Suite on the second floor.

The suite had no air-conditioning at all although we were told that the air-con had been turned on to its maximum level (19C as shown on the wall mount panel) long before our arrival at 6:30pm. The reception staff also gave a puzzled look but put the blame on not properly closed windows, though all the windows seemed properly closed or we would have heard the noise from the main street downstairs (Via del Corso). He told us that the room would become cool in a few minutes' time and left to fetch our luggage from Gigli D'Oro as the golf cart was too small to accommodate any luggage in our first ride.

We waited at the small breakfast area outside our room where there was air-con. After more than half an hour the man returned with some of our luggage. We told him that there was still no air-con inside the room. He reassured us that it would not be a problem and would send someone over to fix it. He immediately left to get the rest of our luggage from Gigli O'Doro again.

When he returned after another long wait I told him that the air-con was clearly not working, as we had already been waiting outside in the breakfast area for well over an hour by then but our room was still very hot and stuffy. I tried to find out from him if the hotel would have any contingency plan but he just rushed for the door, repeating his reassurance without even turning back.

We waited for another 20 minutes or so but nobody came or called. I called up the remote reception at Gigli D'Oro and requested the same staff to fix the problem asap as we had been waiting outside our room for far too long and my little daughter was having a fever that day. The man simply told me to wait in a layback tone and remarked that "air-conditioning is not good for fever" (his exact words)! He said the techician would be arriving by 8pm.

Shortly before 8.30pm the "techician" came at last who was in fact a junior staff/handyman of the hotel. He simply pressed the buttons on the wall mount panel randomly without knowing what he was doing. After a few minutes he told me that he could not do anything about it and went outside the room to make some telephone calls. When he returned he put me on the phone with his manager, Miss Giusy. She said as it was Sunday night they could not get any air-con maintenance people until the following day. She also said the hotel was full and there was also no other room available to relocate us. I told her we clearly had no choice in those circumstances but to leave and find another hotel ourselves. She however asked us to stay even without any air-con but at a discounted price for the 1st night (our reservation was for 4 nights). She even suggested us to leave the two windows while we sleep, though it was summer in Rome and our room was facing one of the busiest streets - Via del Corso, just steps away from the Spanish Steps! I refused right away and told her it was totally unacceptable even if my daughter had not been unwell. I repeated my demand for cancellation of the entire booking. Miss Giusy then suggested us to stay at another hotel on our own for just the 1st night but to return to San Carlo Suite after that to complete our stay for the remaining 3 nights. I again rejected and said it did not make sense to change hotels like that.

As I was speaking with the manager (Miss Giusy) the handyman climbed up and down the false ceiling in my room and after a while suddenly claimed that the air-con was back to order but the temperature would only come down after another 30 min or so. I was very doubtful and was seriously concerned that the air-con might break down again later (as experienced by another TA reviewer who had stayed in San Carlo Suite recently in June). I then managed to talk to a lady proprietor of the hotel who was talking to the handyman on the phone. I explained to her what had happened over the past 3 hours and requested for a no-liability cancellation. The lady boss initially said I would need to pay a penalty but eventually agreed to talk to the manager first before getting back to me. But she never called me back as promised.

The manager Miss Giusy then called and said as the air-con was already back to normal I had to stay. By then I had completely lost any trust in the hotel or its management. I complained about the waste of my family's precious holiday time (had been sitting idle in the breakfast area for more than 3 hours after we checked in) and demanded a no-penalty cancellation. After talking for a long time I said I did not want to argue anymore and offered to stay 1 night provided we would be free to go after that. But the manager insisted we stay for all 4 nights or face a penalty for the full amount. I became furious, complaining that my family's patience was abused and reserving my rights to take legal action if necessary.

At this point Miss Giusy turned extremely rude and said I had to abide by the law in Italy as there was a contract between us. She even challenged me to take the matter to the police or the tourism office, saying that Italy is a democratic country and I was free to do whatever I liked, but threatened to charge me the full penalty at their rack rate of EUR 490 per night instead of EUR 309 if I decided to leave!

By then it was already past 9pm and we were all very tired and hungry, not to mention our unwell little daughter. We had no choice but to stay, despite most reluctantly.

I just couldn't believe any decent hotel business operator in the tourist industry would treat or talk to their guest in such manner if I had not witnessed it myself!!

Would I consider staying again at San Carlo Suite (or Gigli O'doro) Suite? Not over my dead body!!

Would I ever recommend this hotel as a TA reviewer? Not if I am a responsible contributor!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went in June when the weather was 36degrees C. On out first night the aircon was broken, we had to wait until the guy came from the sister hotel to see it and were late to leave the room. He said that if it wasn't fixed we would be transferred for the fiyr night stay to the sister hotel, a much more expensive place. It was fixed when we came back.
The second night we arrived at 11 pm to find the aircon was broken again....this time it was too late to get maintenance, so we were moved to another room that had just been vacated. It just so happened that this was a much bigger room ( couldn't get any sleep there as incredibly noisy from the street below).
The next morning we got a very rude call from a woman called Juicy asking us to go back to our old room with the broken airconditioning, but as we had a tour booked we were in a hurry to leave and agreed with her that we will call her on our return. But when we got back we discovered.......OUR THINGS HAD BEEN MOVED. They actually went into the room, touched our things and stuffed them in a big jumble in the closet of our old room. COMPLETE AND UTTER INVASION OF PRIVACY. And you know what? The bigger room wasn't even needed until the next day.
Other than that, there is a permanent stench of garbage in the building entrance which is really disgusting. The elevator was broken and the place is four flights up. My husband had to wait for 15 minutes in the street after a long flight for someone to come and check him in. On the last day, we came down to find tens of garbage containers filled with rubble in the entrance.
For this fantastic service we paid 360 dollars a night. Location is great but there are many hotels in that area so avoid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My second trip to Rome with my family and the key to absorbing the eternal city is location location location......san carlo suite couldn't be beat. Right in the heart of the historical center, 2 minutes walking from Spanish steps, 7 minutes from Trevi , maybe 10 from Navona...best of all less than a minute from Via Condotti...shopping. Very new hotel with super clean rooms, fantastic bathroom, sparkling white linens, minimalistic and modern design, classy and very efficient. The common living room outside is very intimate and you are served a very good breakfast. Great for the money and very comfortable to sleep two adults and two grown up kids in the Royal suite. The bathtub in the suite is lovely for couples with a fireplace...very cozy feel.
To absorb Rome you have to be on Via del corso to access all the sights, sounds, and the feel for this fabulous city. The suites are technologically very savvy too with wifi and interactive monitors with the reception.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to San Carlo Suite? Share your experiences!