“very rude staff” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #258 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Frankfurt, Germany
“very rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel has a fabulous location only a few minutes walk from the colosseum but we had such a terrible experience when we arrived that I would not recommend it to anyone. I arrived with 3 young children at 1.30 in the morning in the middle of a festival in the street full of dense, drunk crowds. We were sent off to find the apartment which was 500meters away but we couldn't find it and I was very frightened of loosing my children in the crowds, I found it hard to carry all my bags through so many people and was worried about my bag being snatched as we had received many warnings about pick pockets in Rome. When I returned the man on reception refused to help me and was very rude. I was too scared to go out again so I said we would sit in reception until morning when it was safe. The man said I had to sit next door in a bar and when I refused we said I was a bad mother and a bad example to my children and I should sit where I was told. I explained I had just paid him over 1500 euros and he yelled "people pay much more than that now sit in the bar next door not in here and do what I tell you to do" when he realised I was not going to move he eventually took us to our room but this was 40 minutes after we arrived and he was shouting at us so loudly both myself and my children where very shaken and unable to sleep. I complained the next morning to the manager but he never got back to me. The room was also very noisy as theappartment next door were loud through the night and the walls were paper thin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have booked initially room in the hotel, but we were moved to an appartement near to the hotel. In the appartement was only cold water. After several complaints nobody did anything until decided to move away. I strongly do not recommend this hotel and I do not understand why this hotel has so many positive reviews.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed in one of the apartments that is down the street from the actual hotel. It has one separate bedroom and a pull out bed in the living room area which our two teenagers slept in. There is a kitchenette area with small stovetop, refrigerator, and dishes. The location is great - very close to the Colosseum, other ruins, and many good restaurants. You feel like a local because the rest of the building is regular apartments where normal people live. The only problem was that the internet connection never worked correctly (even after the router was replaced) which was an issue for us because my husband and son had work to complete.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellant service. Clean, great location and awesome breakfast provided. Stayed in an apartment down the road from the hotel. Spacious and even closer to the Colosseum than the hotel. Great restaurants and gelato shops on the same road.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I looked for a hotel close to Termini - the part of the Eternal City that I know best - and one where I could come and go with ease, with room enough to work, and with reliable WiFi. It was in early September and the temperature seemed constantly at 32 degrees.
The Apollo was recommended and matched all points really well. WiFi was a slight disappointment as it didn't work in the room. However, downstairs it was quick and reliable - though the username and password combination was unnecessarily complicated. That was the fault of the server, not the hotel's.
Rooms are small in Rome hotels, but this was adequate and kept very clean. The hotel staff members were exceptional. 99% of them were extraordinarily helpful, and particularly the room maid people.
A very comfortable stay and grateful thanks to the hotel workers, smiling and obliging, for keeping up their cheery welcome.

Room Tip: I booked through an agent, but they have good offers on their website with photos that reveal the ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed there for 6 nights in april.
Good position of the hotel close to Colosseum, metro station and not very far for the Central Station. In the neighborhood there are some restaurants were you can have your meal.
We had a beautiful apartment with a huge terrace in the same building with the hotel, but with a separate entrance.
The suite (one bedroom and a living/dining room) was nice furnished, except the cooking facilities (no coffee maker, kettle or micro vawe; the minibar to small considering the selfcaterig for the breakfast). The WiFi was pretty good, but we had problems with the TV set that didn’t work and they were not able to fix that during our entire stay, althought we asked this two times.
Room was kept very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
To sum up, the hotel (and especially the apartment we stayed in) is not bad and we may consider to come back someday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Glad to find the Apollo Hotel and apartments so that we did not have to book two hotel rooms for our family of five which includes three teenage boys. We were placed in an apartment a few blocks from the main hotel. There was a spacious bath with a very small cylindrical shower situated in the bathtub, a queen bedroom with a single as well and a pull out sofa in the living room. The furnishings were standard mid century modern, adequate and comfortable but overall the apartment itself was not charming although the building and interior courtyard you traverse to arrive at your apartment were old and charming. Did the job in that it was clean and comfortable, had wi fi and ac and was incredibly close to the Coliseum. In addition, the neighborhood features several restaurants and gelato shops frequented by locals and a city square where locals gather by the fountain every evening which adds vibrancy and entertainment to the locale. Very close to metro as well.

Room Tip: Breakfast on the rooftop at the main hotel is a great value and, although not included when staying...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Apollo Hotel? Share your experiences!