“A hidden sanctuary, full of character and style in the heart of Rome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Habsburg Porta Metronia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Villa Habsburg Porta Metronia
You added Villa Habsburg Porta Metronia to your Saves list
Piazza di Porta Metronia, 00183 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #433 of 632 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A hidden sanctuary, full of character and style in the heart of Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I feel compelled to write a review, having never contributed to this kind of website before because I was so horrified at the negative comments I read about this wonderful place. My family and I have recently returned from our stay in this magical location and I can honestly say it was one of the loveliest places I've ever stayed. The romantic setting, behind a gated entrance, amidst large, beautifully maintained gardens couldn't be bettered. Yes, it IS dark if you come back late, but a torch is provided for guests and the path is lit up to the villa.

Inside Guest House 2, it was immaculately clean and cool. The interior is lovely - simple Italian elegance, with some lovely antiques and light airy designs on comfortable furniture. The kitchen is simply furnished, but with all the essentials. Even though we were a family with two boisterous girls, the house provided us with a lovely romantic haven, and plenty of space outside for the children to roam and play in safety.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay anywhere else in Rome once they've stayed here!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

I have had to write this review as i am so surprised by some of the previous reviews. It is some time since we stayed at the Villa, but we have stayed twice and each time it was wonderful. The first time we actually stayed there for two weeks with our son; who was then 10 years old; using it as our base to explore Rome and further afield. Mrs Talliani was always pleasant over the 'phone and everything she said would be done was. The cleaning staff, gardeners and Bruno the driver were all lovely and friendly. I have never met Mrs Talliani, but spoke to her on the 'phone on numerous occassions; I would love to meet her. We stayed again a couple of years later, taking my father as an 80th Birthday trip, our son couldn't wait to return. My father also loved the place. No, its not a 5 star Hotel, it has soul which a sterile 5 star hotel does not. Some of the antiques which are dotted about the place are just incredible,remember this was a family home, it was not purchased as a business and much of how it is reflects this. It has a wonderful ambience and feels like your own personal retreat within this busy, bustling, vibrant city. It is a truly hidden gem and we would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Leeds UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

After reading some of the reviews, I really have to ask myself what people would expect when renting a historical building....The Gardens and locations were Fabulous, the appartment was in fact a 3 bedroom home, much larger than we had anticipated, the many rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable and whilst a little dated, really i cannot see that modern furnishings would have done anything to help the wonderful atmosphere, in fact quite the opposite. When in Rome in the past I have stayed at 3 & 4 star hotels and have certainly never found these to be luxury, therefore i would suggest anyone wanting this pays the 5 Star prices and gets the 5 star faceless, charecterless 'luxury'. BUT if you want to live in Rome while on Holiday and you want a peaceful oasis to return to at the end of the day, with full cooking faciilities, clean basic bathrooms with plenty of hot water , comfortable antique beds and furnishings, private garden and terrace etc etc the list goes on.....then this is definately the place. we will most definately recommend to everyone we meet, it was the highlight of the entire trip...including all the famous sights in Rome, we will be back as they say in the movies and if you have any sense ignore the picky people who clearly have little else to do except spend their holiday taking photos of minor issues of their appartment when they should have been experiencing life in Rome

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Leeds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

I have used trip advisor many time before booking a stay and this is the first time I have been compelled to comment.
My wife & 2 children stayed in guest house number 2 for a week at the end of October, if you arrive after dark the first thing you must bring is a torch, as the lighting from the entrance gate to the apartment is dangerously poor, only 2 lamps in the top 3rd of the drive, the drive itself is in parts falling apart and unstable.
We were advised by the owner that the apartment 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, when we arrived we could not find the 3rd bedroom, there was a room adjoining the master bedroom with what appeared to be a fold a way single bed in the corner but this was not made up nor did any bedding appear to be available, so my children had to share the twin bedded room, very misleading at the least.
Next the kitchen don't forget to take your own kettle, yes the fully fitted kitchen has no kettle, if you need to boil water you need to use one of the mixed pans available, on one of the 3 working rings on the four ring hob.
The condition of the apartment was generally shabby, I've attached pictures on one of the bathrooms showing the mould and flaking paint, left the towels smelling musty all the time.
Hot water is available but don't try to run 2 baths at once, one will take at least 20 minutes to fill and then you may need to turn on another tap to get enough water flow to get the boiler to kick in.
Keys if you do book a stay you will receive a pack along with keys detailing how inept all the British guests appear to be, we had no problem at all, maybe it's the type of locks and keys used on the continent we find difficult.
Overall a very disappointing stay, very poor quality furniture and a feeling that the place was furnished with second hand furniture, one wardrobe is lined with wood finish sticky backed plastic, sums up the place really - Shabby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
helene65, owner manager at Villa Habsburg Porta Metronia, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
We would like to reply to most important of these comments, also because subjectively we found some to be justified.Others were objectively correct but need explanation . There is more than an element, as always in any appraisal, of beauty being in the eye of the beholder
1. the lights on the driveway and indeed the driveway itself belong to and are under the jurisdiction of Rome Town Council - We only have the exclusive right of way. I am utterly delighted to be able to show them this review. I couldn´t agree more, but unfortunately cannot take the responsibility for Roman infrastructure . I did speak to these guests after I had read their comments . They admitted that otherparts of the town the cobblestones are in exactly the same state.With us at least you have a ravishing garden either side of this charming little hidden road, which thus remains entirely private.
2. Three bedrooms: I further thank these guests for giving me the opportunity to say, as I thought it had been made clear, that one room is a bed in the study .I am sorry if there was some mutual misunderstanding on this point .
3. Kettle ,definitely should have been present but had these guests informed the housekeeper, they would have been given a replacement immediately.Things do occasionally disappear, or are removed for special cleaning and then by oversight not replaced. The housekeeper is present to make such things good
4 Shabby : and here, we are just going to have to agree to differ.I suppose you could call a sixteenth century Spanish chest or a wooden painted Tyrolese wedding trunk second hand : we tend to think of such things as antiques. There are, in effect several museum pieces in that apartment. I do not think any of the furniture or the materials (Bennison linen and chintz throughout) to be of poor quality .
5 The photographs- honestly I think if you take pictures of minute areas with a bright flash light and enlarge them, it certainly does make bad impression- but all our apartments are repainted and freshened up every year
In conclusion, yes, it would be possible to do the whole house over in what I call Grand Hotel style - and charge triple.We have consciously opted not to. We wish to keep this wonderful atmosphere of an old country hunting lodge now in the midst of town as it was when our aunt lived in it To change it too much- beyond rewiring and repainting etc which we do/have done would be to destroy that atmosphere and one could never replace it. Please please if you like fitted carpets , Jamie Oliver kitchens and power showers do not choose us .We have waiting lists. We feel we mut be doing something right ! But we absolutely understand when we are not what people are looking for, because we are very different from everyone else
New Brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I am writing this review because I was recommending the Villa Hapsburg to a friend and stumbled across this website. My family and I stayed at the Villa Hapsburg for a week or so in the fall of 2007. It was wonderful. It was, of course, partly that Rome was wonderful, but the villa was magical (including the Apple Cider!). It is the case that if you ADORE the happy clappy customer service treacle that prevails in many places you might be put off. But presumably you didn't go to Rome to enjoy room service while watching HBO.
The villa is in a beautiful, peaceful location and has the kind of faded glory aesthetic that pervades the whole city. We all consider ourselves very lucky to have found it. (And as for the 10 page key management handout - it was hilarious [ and informative]. Lighten up people - jeeze).

Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Fareham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

This is not actually a hotel, it's a set of self-catering apartments. We stayed in the Piano Nobile (main floor). Our party consisted of ourselves, our children and my mother-in-law.

We had 3 huge bedrooms, each with a balcony with great views across Rome. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. We also had a large lounge and a huge kitchen-diner.

Our stay started at the end of March and we did have a couple of very cold evenings, but were well supplied with blankets. We got the impression that the building was designed more to keep the heat out in summer than for warmth in winter - it had wooden or marble floors, thick walls and shuttered windows - so if you're going at a chillier time of year do take warm clothes with you.

The location is amazing, literally just 10 minutes walk from the Colosseum yet set in the middle of lovely gardens. Much has been written about the plumbing, heating and electricity here but we followed the instrutions in the apartment and had no problems.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Midlands, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

Just discovered this site, but it seems from other reviews that things haven't changed much and others have had similar experiences. Stayed in July 2006 for just under a week.

5 stars for the location, which is a genuine short walk down into the city. Views, at least from ground level, somewhat overstated. Not exactly quiet; the place seems to be above a main route to one of the area's hospitals, so the peace is regularly punctuated by those odd Italian sirens. Something which comes with the central location, I suppose.

3 stars for the actual accommodation. We stayed in a ground floor flat, which was adequate, but a little dark and the bathroom in particular was fairly dingy, with mould in places. A mish-mash of furniture, more substantial pieces mixed with the ubiquitous chipboard, for example in the kitchen.

0 stars for the the attention received and the attitude of the owner. She is straight from the Basil Fawlty School of Customer Relations, and clearly a star pupil. Her condescension was amusing at first, but when this turned to downright rudeness it ceased to be. Having previously insulted a colleague of mine at work and the whole of the south of Italy, she accused me of being "stupid" for having the temerity to try and change the time of a taxi to pick us up from the airport. Note the tone of her replies to other complainants.

Incidentally, in the time we were there we saw no-one else, neither staff nor representatives of the owner, nor any other guests. This is not a complaint, just a comment.

I hope these observations will make you make an informed decision as to whether or not to stay here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Owner's attitude
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family

Been to Villa Habsburg Porta Metronia? Share your experiences!