“Depends on what you want....” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Mimosa
Via di Santa Chiara, 61, 00186 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #303 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
OKC
“Depends on what you want....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

It felt like a rundown Motel 6 to me. First, let me say that the location is good and that if you need a budget hotel it is that. It is centrally located in a nice safe area and is within walking distance to the places you will want to see and/or within walking distance to transportation to the places you will want to see. The staff is limited and try to be helpful but there are issues with this hotel that need attention but they don't seem to be concerned with. The internet and WIFI is basically limited to a small foray that is about 6x6 off the lobby and the breakfast room which is frustrating. The room itself was small but had air conditioning which was a plus. Mu main complaint was that there was only one small window about 9 ft. up and the only way to access it was a rope hanging down. If there had been a fire I would have been toast. Also the bedding was not questionable. The sheets seemed ok but the mattress and pillows were old and dirty and the bed spread looked like it was used for a science experiment. When I asked to exchange it for perhaps one not so stained they told me they had no extra bedding. Also there were some stains on the wall. The bathroom was a redeeming feature and it seemed newer and cleaner. The breakfast was just ok but it was ok and got you started in the morning. I did talk to some of the other guests and they had more favorable reviews for their rooms so maybe it was the just the room I got. However, based on my experience I can't recommend. It comes down to what you need and what you expect. Will it kill you to stay here--no but you probably won't be raving about it if you do.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Hotel Mimosa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Sure, it depends on what one wants when you book a hotel: pay the luxury of a 5-star hotel or the simplicity of a small family run hotel!
We are a 1 star hotel. Simple, cheap and clean family-run for about 40 years!
This is what is written on our official website and is not a secret!
The staff tries to be always attentive to the needs of our customers.
Our services are included and listed on our official website: Internet and wifi are free and available in the lobby and breakfast room for guests all day.
The small room: It was a single, with FREE air conditioning at a price unmatched in the historical center of Rome.
Sorry for the mattress and the pillow, but if You had requested a room change, surely the 'we would have done as always.
Finally, I apologize for the behavior of my co-worker who has not changed the blanket immediately. The hotel although small, have spare clean blankets.
How You got to hear from our other guests, all had a favorable reviews for Their rooms, perhaps could it be enough to change room to have a different view of what one wants.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This was the second time in Rome. I wanted something central, decent and cheap and this was the place. When in Rome I just use the hotel to sleep, that's all....I got a small room, which is kind of standard to hotels in Europe. No safe, No Tv, No refrigerator. But you have a private clean bathroom IN your room, which for the price I paid was one important reason I stayed here. Unbeatable location. 1 minute walking to the Pantheon and very central to go around the touristy and non touristy areas like Trastevere. Free Internet in the reception area, free breakfast which is super basic... Very basic but free. They sell water and sodas in the kitchen area, if in the middle of the night you're thirsty. What I didn't like was that I had to pay cash at check out, very inconvenient.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Maybe I expect too much, but no TV, no maid service, no room service, the same items every morning for breakfast?

We stayed for four nights. Our first impression was okay. On our last night we were presented with a bill for five nights. When we called that to their attention we got "okay, okay, we fix". Then we were told the credit card machine was broken and they wanted cash!! We told them we would have to go to the bank. We don't walk around with that much money in cash.

The next morning when we checked out the total of the bill was correct. I informed the man at the desk that they could take the credit card, not get paid, or call the police. I was NOT going to pay cash. He called someone on the phone. He then plugged in the broken credit card machine and entered the charges. He also claimed it was understood and written everywhere that they expected cash. I asked to be shown that information and all I got was a blank stare.

It is one star. I'll give you that, but to try to add a day to the charged and wanting cash payment makes me think this is not a place I would recommend at all. I haven't even mentioned how thin the walls are or how much street noise there is.

Room Tip: Have plenty of cash on hand if you stay more than a day or two!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Direttore at Hotel Mimosa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
A review that really puzzles me. Perhaps those who book should first read more information on our site.
We are a small hotel at 1 star, not 5 stars! And this obviously leads to a difference in services, such as: of course there's not a maid all day in a hotel of 10 rooms and a one star! Our cleaning service is done once but each morning.
That in the rooms there is not a tv is listed on the site, it's not a secret. The breakfast is continental buffet and it is even included in the price and at a price that is really great, as everyone knows.
As for the error in the calculation of the nights, of course it was a mistake as this has been corrected, with apologies, and the payment was made with card, through our POS.
There were absolutely no problem from our side: the only problem is that can happen that can have slowdowns. Obviously, the POS was not broken, but only with telephone line problems, so we had no problem with payment.
I always remind everyone that ours is a 1-star hotel, whose services are included in the price and are easily viewed on our website.
Who wants the maid in the room, English breakfast etc. etc. can easily go to one of our many neighboring hotels (prices quintupled, obviously, and rightly so).
I remain, moreover, always puzzled when people stay with us for several days(4 nights!), without complaining, without saying anything until the last day… and without leaving if the place is so terrible!
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We went on a girlie weekend for a friends birthday. We wanted a low cost break away but wanted to be central. This hotel ticked all the boxes. Good value for money. Our room was small but clean and the bathroom was recently refurbished. The breakfast was basic but tied us over until lunch. We were soooo central it was amazing. The Pantheon was a 1 minute walk away and only 15 minutes on foot to the Coleseum amongst other attractions. I was definitely recommend this hotel for a low cost break away, however, if you are looking for more luxury and added extras like tea and coffee making facilities in your room, bar, etc then go somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you can get Room 1 or A these are very spacious and on the quieter side of the hotel.
Guildford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This hotel is only rated one star but is easily two stars! The location is perfect for those wishing to explore Rome on foot. The Pantheon is on the door step and all other major places of interest are within walking distance - we didn't use the metro system once! The rooms are clean and tidy and our party of 14 had no complaints at all. It exceeded our expectations and was exceptionally good value for money. Breakfast is basic, but sufficient to start the day and the staff were all very helpful. Wouldn't hestitate to recommend this hotel - we just loved it and hope to return!

Room Tip: The triple rooms are really spacious, but some of the twin bedded rooms had luxury showers.
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had an excellent weekend in at the hotel mimosa, rooms very clean some had new bathrooms we were a party of 14 and they accommodated us great. Fantastic location central to everything. Good restaurants on doorstep one directly underneath was fab . Will defo go back -great value for money !!!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011 via mobile

Terrible front desk "service" - unhappy and painfully unhelpful. Worst "breakfast" in Italy - it is listed as a B&B in Trip Advisor so pre-packaged croissants was not what we had thought we paid for. No common room or lounge to sit in. At €120 per night this was the worst value and quality of our trip.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Hotel Mimosa? Share your experiences!