“Hidden gem near Termini” 3 of 5 stars

Aberdeen Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Firenze 48, 00184 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #237 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Wakefield, New Hampshire
“Hidden gem near Termini”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

On a quiet side street, entered through a common courtyard. Front desk staff very helpful and room was small but typical and bedwas comfortable . Breakfast was very adequate, but breakfast room is pretty crowded. Wifi was not very reliable, Fine little restaurant right across the street/

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I don't really understand why this place has rather high reviews. I was looking for something reasonably priced near termini for a quick last night before our flight home and I guess it mostly met that - although I'd say it's rather pricey for what you get. Pretty sure we paid for an actual double bed and got two awkward twins pushed together-common in Europe I know, but ugh. It was about what I'd feared - a little difficult to find, kind of grubby, and dated. The room was small and stuffy, even with air on and I didn't feel comfortable leaving the window open on a ground floor facing the street. Bed very thin with prominent springs; a fair bit of street noise. Desk staff was friendly and helpful. We left too early to try breakfast. A disappointing end to our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I'd like to give a better review of the Aberdeen, as we had high hopes for it when planning our trip. But, there are just enough negatives to say that the hotel didn't live up to our expectations. While it certainly wasn't horrible, we wouldn't stay here again next time we're in Rome. We chose the hotel based on the reviews here and because it is a longstanding recommendation of Rick Steves (with special rates for his readers).

The location is great, near the Termini train station and even nearer to the Metro stop and taxi stand at Piazza Repubblica. Plus, most attractions are within easy walking distance, with fascinating things to look at in every direction. Right across the street is a great restaurant called simply Snack Bar, which I thought was incredible (in fact, I would have eaten every meal there if I had my way). Lots of other "bars" and restaurants are also nearby.

The staff here was great - very friendly and talkative, and even the maids greeted us when they saw us. The included breakfast was pretty good - cold cuts, cheese, various pastries, yogurt, and some questionable-tasting juices.

Our room - 49 - was near the breakfast room, and there is a lot of noise in the mornings. We were getting up at 7:00 AM, but the noise started around 5:00 AM, and was amplified by the tile floors and hard surfaces in the hallways. Our room was good-sized, and had a little balcony overlooking a tiny little courtyard (very nice). It had high ceilings, and a lot of potential. But, it had a marble tile floor and one little picture on the wall. Other than that, the walls were bare, and every little noise was amplified many times. It was like living in a big empty room, and made it difficult even to have a conversation. There were apartments above us, and there were young kids up there running around and screaming until midnight each night.

The bathroom had a heated towel rack that didn't work, and it had a horrible humidity problem. The shower was very powerful, but there was no curtain (it was a tub/shower combination with a single pivoting glass panel to block the water - apparently typical in Rome), and we could never figure out how to take a shower without drenching the whole bathroom. Also, there was no mirror except in the bathroom, which made it difficult for two people to get ready in the morning.

There's a computer and printer available for guests to use, but both are slow. When I tried to check us in for our return flights, the computer took forever. But, the printer (an older inkjet) was just ridiculously slow. As my boarding pass was printing, I noticed that one of the cartridges must have been empty, because, after waiting all that time, my pass printed out in an unusable faded manner, and I just had to throw it away (along with the time I spent checking in).

So, location gets five stars, staff gets five stars, but room gets three stars. Maybe we just got unlucky with the worst room in the hotel, but I would rate this hotel around three-and-a-half stars. It's a good bargain, but I'm sure there are better choices in Rome.

Room Tip: Do not be anywhere near the breakfast room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
West Covina, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

It is one of Rick Steve's recommended hotels in Rome. I love the hotels proximity to Republicca, coffee shops and shops. The breakfast is so and so, cheese meat, yogurts, juice, coffee and stale bread. But other than this I will stay in this hotel again when I get back to Rome.

Room Tip: The reception is one flight of stairs, keep this in mind if you travel with heavy luggage.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was travelling alone for a few weeks and chose this hotel because it received good reviews on Trip Advisor and was recommended by Rick Steeves. Unfortunately, I got a very small single room which looked out onto bunch of other buildings. I asked to move and initially they agreed, but then I was told they couldn't because they were full, so they gave me a fair discount for a few nights. I stayed there for 5 nights.
The hotel itself is actually very nice and is in a good location. The breakfasts were very good. The service at the front desk was excellent.

My recommendation would be to ask for a quiet room with a view and then see what you get.

Good luck!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was searching for an hotel that was in the center of Rome and near the mais transportations, with a good price, and I found it in Aberdeen Hotel! Very well located, near the Repubblica Metro Station and Termini, between to very important streets, Via Nazionale and Via del Quirinale, and about 10 minutes from Fontana di Trevi. The staff are very nice and helpfull and always wearing a smile! The breakfast is good, cereals, bread, butter, cakes, orange juice, coffee, milk, etc, you can ask the waitress for a capuccino! The room was very clean with nice temperature, the tv only have one channel the rest is in italian. One thing I dindn't enjoy much, in two time, at almost 8 am, they were using the vaccum... if I wanted to sleep til late... but in general, I would return to this Hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Late planning made getting reservations at 2 hotels I was attracted to impossible.However,the Aberdeen accomodated us on short notice.A Rick Steeves reference got us a smart discount and a walk around the block revealed that the neighborhood had everything I wanted as a tourist. Easy access to the subway and buses, open air market and an arcade for souveniers, a splendid roof top bar called the Oratory.Restaurants,however, unremarkable.Our room was spacious,clean and comfortable. Owners and staff helpful and very pleasant. Because of the location, my urban hiking each morning was exillerating-watching the sun come up through the arches of the Colliseum,a professional photo shoot at the Pantheon, and most of the magnificent churches and buildings are walking distance. A gem!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aberdeen Hotel? Share your experiences!