“Would have walked 7 miles to eat here!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Would have walked 7 miles to eat here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We actually walked 6, but that is beside the point. The majority of the most recent reviews are spot on accurate, and as you will see, they all consistently agree that this is a gem. Indeed, this maybe my favorite seafood restaurant in Rome.

There is a large selection of raw seafood starters, and you must be sure to have at least one to start. We had the carpaccio di ombrino. The ombrino was so fresh and sweet and sliced so thinly it was translucent. The citrus reduction came in a bottle, allowing us to decide how much to "cook" the fish. Together with the occasional red peppercorn, the flavors were invigorating and appetizing. We also had the polpo grigliato con velutata ai ceci--a perfectly seared octopus on top of a chickpea paste. I've had more tender octopus, but I don't think I have such a fresh tasting octopus. Other places allow olive oil and lemon to carry the taste, not here. The chickpea paste was light and together with the occasional rosemary leaf complemented the octopus perfectly. We elected to go with one of the special catches of the day--the sea bream. They had brought the fish table side before hand so that we could stare at the clear eyes of fresh that must have been caught that morning. It was baked simply and served with crisply seared scalloped potatoes with lightly roasted grape tomatoes and kalamata olives. The table side filleting was perfect-informed and interactive. He knew to ask if I wanted meat from the head, and whether I wanted the skin on. We also had king shrimp, grilled just enough to caramelize the exterior of the shrimp without cooking it to disappointing density. Dolci did not disappoint either. Do try the Spuma di ricotta siciliana con cioccolata calda--when it arrived, I mistook the ricotta for whipped cream. I don't think I have ever had ricotta this light before. The chocolate, rich without being bitter, served as perfect counterpoint to the cheese that would be cream.

All this, at a centro storico trattoria, could have easily run us 200 euro. Here, despite going with a serious Sicilian white that I have been unable to find in the U.S., we got out for 110 euro.
All this on top of some of the friendliest, most attentive and intelligent service I've had in Rome. What's not to like? The only reason I haven't given Trattoria del Pesce 5 stars is because of its ambiance. It is clean and bright, but it is a little sterile and, as I mentioned, it is a LONG walk from centro storico. Still, worth every euro and step.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“good tiny neighborhood fish restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a small place with a fantastic cousine, large choice of wine and excellent fresh fish dishes. We really enjoy dining there, not many tables so you need to reserve well in advance and intimate environment (only one large table sitting max 8 people). Srvice is attentive and final bill with good wine € 100 for 2 people!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kigali, Rwanda
“seafood ecstasy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a small restaurant with extraordinary food. You definitely need reservations as seating is very limited. The food is a combination of raw and cooked items. As my Italian friends ordered for us, I am not sure what items to recommend, but honestly, I think everything they serve is fabulous. Wine selection is great. prices are moderate. This restaurant service is what you hope/expect from a small restaurant, great support and care for the art and craft of cuisine. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic all round, one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Arrived with no reservation and were asked to come back in 30 mins, and when we did the manager gave us a table ahead of a couple of local regulars who had no reservation either- he could have easily given them our table . . Amazing fresh quality produce, excellent service this place is a hidden gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Trattoria del Pesce is a true Roman gem.

It's a wonderfully intimate and delicious experience from start to finish.

The food is exquisite and the service is some of the best I've ever received, you're made to feel like you're the only people in the restaurant. All the staff are well informed and couldn't do any more to ensure your evening is a memorable one.

The food, largely fish-based (surprisingly), is fresh, varied, traditional and yet contemporary and just damn fine.

We were in Rome for three nights at, having been to Tratoria del Pesce on our second night, didn't hesitate to book a table for our last night as well. Having eaten there once, you'll clamor to return!

Well done Tratorria del Pesce!

Visited October 2012