“Do not even consider any other hotel in Roma!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel San Anselmo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza S Anselmo 2, 00153 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #16 of 1,265 Hotels in Rome
Boston, Massachusetts
“Do not even consider any other hotel in Roma!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed in this charming hotel for our honeymoon in the Summer of 2008. My husband made his decision by looking at its reviews in Trip Adviser, and I'm glad he did so. All good things that have been said about this place, they are true.

First of all, it is located in a very quiet, upscale residential area. The building itself used to be a private villa before being turned into a hotel. But don't think that it is in a remote area; we could walk from the hotel to the T-station (and the next station is Colosseum) in about 10 minutes. And it is a very nice walk. If you take a cab from the hotel, it takes 10 minutes to the central Rome, for 7-8 Euros.

The room we stayed was beautifully furnished. Oh and the bathroom... Beautiful red marbles and the luxurious shower area are what I remember. Usually I'm disgusted to use hotel bathrooms no matter how clean they look, but I felt very comfortable in this place.

The only possibly negative thing I can say about the room is the fact that they joined two twin beds to make a bed for two. You could feel the gap between the beds when lying. But we were so captured by all the other nice things about the hotel, it did not bother us that much. This was also mentioned in the hotel reviews, so we expected that.

They offer a rich breakfast in their peaceful backyard. Breakfast included tea, coffee, cheese and jam varieties, boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, butter, honey, Nutella, cereal, etc. However, they do not have a restaurant to offer dinner. Still not a problem. They have a sister hotel in 5 minute walk: Hotel Villa San Pio. We had dinner there two nights and it was great. It was also very romantic to walk back to our hotel after the dinner.

I don't understand why some people told in their reviews that the staff were negligent. They were very kind to us.

So in all, we were very satisfied by our experience in Hotel San Anselmo. We can't wait to go back and stay there again. I say, don't even search for other hotels. This is the place to stay in Rome.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Warsaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

beautiful location and interior design, very good and reach breakfast. The only negative thing we found was that the room was a bit small for us. The staff are very friendly and helpful and we'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I would SO stay here again!

After a bit of a difficult start when we tried to book about 6-7 months ahead (in which I was told that if we wanted to reserve a specific standard room, #823 L’Angelica in this case, we would have to pay the price of a deluxe room, i.e., 50% more), they finally agreed to reserve L'Angelica for us at the standard price of €180, and they honored that.

If you like good design and appreciate details, you owe it to yourself to consider this hotel. It is gorgeous and so well executed! I fanaticize that it’s owned by a person of means, who wanted everything done as exquisitely as possible, no matter that corners could have been cut to save money (and almost no one would have noticed). But I can’t tell that any corners were cut. The result is something you have to see to fully appreciate.

In addition to interior design that is out-of-this-world romantic and almost “decadent” in terms of luxury – but in a fresh and unstuffy way – the hotel is also located in a lovely area of the city. Both our taxi drivers told us it is an expensive residential area. I guess so: the residence of the Egyptian Ambassador to the Vatican is practically next door. It was so nice to return to this quiet and peaceful area each evening, and to wake up there each morning. No horns, no sirens. No hustle and bustle.

Breakfast was extensive, of high quality, and beautifully presented. My husband wasn’t happy that they didn’t serve cooked eggs (other than cold, boiled eggs), and he said he was unimpressed with the cereal selection (assorted Kellogg’s options, none of the good granolas he usually enjoys getting in Europe). But there was a wide assortment of other offerings, including salmon. And the room itself! Wow! I would say the hallmark of this hotel is its attention to detail. Even the cappuccinos were made in such a way as to leave a white heart on the top.

Some of the other above-and-beyond details we noted: The toiletries weren’t just set out on a tray in the bathroom. Instead, waiting for us there were two small, monogrammed (silk?) bags holding toiletries. I liked the toiletries, but don’t know the brand because they came in attractive bottles with the hotel’s name and logo. It seemed that each of the two mornings we were there, if there was a partial bottle of body wash or shampoo, it was taken away and replaced with an unopened bottle. That was certainly unnecessary on our account, but was an example of the 5-star service they provided. As someone else said about the Sant’ Anselmo, it had 5-star quality for 3-star prices.

Our room was small (though the bathroom was fabulous!) but I think the standard rooms are a much better value for the money than the deluxe rooms, which are 50% more.

There is no restaurant on the premises, but they will make you a simple sandwich in the bar, which can be eaten in the lounge. Ours was very simple: two pieces of bread and cheese – no butter, no mayo, no mustard, no lettuce and tomato. I don’t remember the price, but it wasn’t cheap. However, it did fit the bill for that night, as we’d had a later lunch and weren’t very hungry.

The drawbacks:
The hill. It was absolutely worth it for us to climb the hill in order to stay in that lovely area, away from the noise of the city center, and yet in easy walking distance to most things we wanted to see (though for the Vatican we caught bus #23 – buy your ticket first at the tobacco shop). However, we stayed there in October. I would not – not even once – want to make that walk uphill in summer! Assuming the hotel is air conditioned, I would still want to stay there in the summer, but we would need to plan on a taxi ride for the return up the hill. We did that one night after dinner, and it was € 8 from the Pantheon.

An area for improvement:
In general, the staff could stand to be quite a bit friendlier and still present a professional image. Quite often their formality had an almost wooden stiffness to it. We’re on vacation. Lighten up. Make us feel welcome. (I would still go there again. If you want to know why, look at the photos. :)) We would like to commend the man behind the desk when we arrived, however. We refused to be cheated by the taxi driver, and the driver followed us into the hotel, saying we hadn’t paid what we owed. (See crime tips below.) The hotel employee handled it with grace and poise, I suppose telling the taxi driver (in Italian) that we were saying we didn’t owe it. He remained professional throughout, and when I asked him to call the police, he picked up the phone (which sent the taxi driver on his way).

Crime tips:
Our cab fare from the RR station, where we dropped off the rental car, was just under € 29. My husband was low on Euros, so I pulled out a 20 (the only one I had) and a 10 and handed it to my husband, who handed it to the driver. As I was putting my wallet away and my husband was reaching into his pocket for some more coins for the tip, the driver switched the bills and said we’d only given him a 10 and a 5. But the 20 was gone from my wallet, and my husband said he had seen that it was a 20. Our plan from then on was to hold out the money before handing it over and saying, “Do you agree that this is a 20 and a 10 [or whatever]?”

How you carry your bag could get you killed. While we were in Rome, we saw pictures in the newspaper of a woman who’d been pulled into the street by a would-be pickpocket. He was on a motorbike, and when he tried to grab her purse, he couldn’t get it because she had the strap crisscrossed across her body (over one shoulder and under the opposite arm – the same way my husband was carrying his camera bag). His attempt pulled her into the street. Thankfully, she wasn’t killed – miracle enough on the streets in Rome! But it was a lesson not to walk too close to the streets. I wore my camera bag like a fanny pack, with an additional strap around the neck. Figured if they cut it one way there would be a back-up. It helps if it’s cool enough to wear a sweater or lightweight jacket over all that. We can never ensure that we’ll be 100% safe, but we can do things to discourage their picking us as a target in the first place.

In conclusion:
The Sant' Anselmo isn't perfect, but it is an incredible, incredible place. Rome wasn't my choice (I wanted to go back to Croatia), but I have the most special memories of being there, and it's largely because we stayed at the Sant' Alselmo.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

We learned of this hotel from my husband's business friend who lives in northern Italy and visits family in this neighborhood. We wanted a place that would suit our party of three couples staying in Rome for several days at the end of a cruise. This place completely filled the bill, and was described by some of our party as the best part of our Roman stay.

Those of us who weren't keen on traipsing all day welcomed the away-from-the-bustle location, and spent time relaxing in the garden or exploring the neighborhood. This area is home to embassies, old churches, walled garden villas, schools and monasteries. The walkers among us weren't much daunted by the south-of-the-Roman-Forum location, although there were days when we just plain quit walking and called a cab to get back to the hotel.

I'd say this hotel does not see itself as primarily a tourist hotel. Guests in the breakfast room appeared to come from many continents, and were not (as we were) perusing their guidebooks. Each day staff at the front desk helped us find and make reservations at local restaurants, but it seemed to me that hand-holding with tourists might not be a favorite duty.

We walked to the sister hotel's restaurant (good, moderate prices) and also Apuleius restaurant (good but expensive). We also walked down the hill, along the river and across the Ponte Palatine to Trastevere for more casual, reasonably-priced restaurants.

Owner and staff were willing to negotiate a lower rate for three rooms, and arranged for a driver and a no-frills minivan to meet us at the cruise ship port to transport us and lots of luggage to the hotel for a reasonable price.

If you stay at Sant'Anselmo, be sure to visit one of my all-time favorite churches, the early-Christian-era Santa Sabina (ca. 432) set in a lovely rose garden. The carved wooden doors may have inspired the later bronze doors of Bishop Bernward at Hildesheim (1015).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We booked into this hotel, because it was close to where we were having meetings. Its reviews here and in guides were very positive. so we were ok with it, but overall I felt that it is worth putting another view forward as I felt that its shortcomings are not fully highlighted.

In fairness, I'd have to say it was ok, the rooms were nicely decorated, but mine was extremely small (just space to walk around the bed). Other rooms where much bigger with balconies and seperate rooms etc... the mad thing is they are all the same price. So book very carefully, as a box is charged the same as a suite.

Second it is expensive. The room rate we paid was almost EUR 300 per night, which frankly you expect a lot for. We didnot get that, and as a regular hotel travellor, i think it is vastly, and I mean vastly over-priced.

Third it is dirty. They have all sorts of fancy bubble baths, and showers, but it is all old and worn, not well maintained and just dirty if you look closely. No-one really loves this place ensure that the high standards are really high. Everything was ok, but just not more than that.

Fourth it doesn't have a dining room ! That would be ok for a b&b for for an expensive "luxury" hotel it is not to be believed that no evening meals are available. They recommend a series of other restaurants, but sometimes that is not what you are looking for. It does do a good breakfast spread, with fresh and wide range of foods, and when we arrived late one morning, they kept it out for us (which was nice) but again no wow-points from me, as that is what I pay the huge amount of money for.

The staff are curtious and fine - no complaints, but nothing amazing either.

the area is residential villas on a hill above Rome. The next square is one of the best insider tips in Rome, it houses the HQ of the Order of Malta (a unique organisation with sovereign status, which means that their Villa is like the vatican - not part of italy). If you look through the keyhole you have an amazing view through three countries (the Order of Malta, Italy and the Vatican) and see the dome of St Peters. Pretty cool. not that the hotel told us it was there, of course, but we discovered it of our own accord.

so, in summary, I know that Rome is expensive for hotels, but you pay a lot here, soif you are a seasoned and demanding travellor you'll be unimpressed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Readfield, Maine, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Our stay at this wonderful little hotel was great from start to finish. Located at the peak of the hill in Aventino, it is situated in a lush, shady and quiet neighborhood of Rome - attributes hard to find in that otherwise totally frenetic city. The hotel is on Piazza S. Anselmo - a block away is a park of orange trees from which you can look out over the city, and the "keyhole" gate at the Order of the Malta Knights - don't miss peeking through that on a clear night to see an incredible view of St Peter's!

From the moment we entered the hotel's small foyer, we were impressed with the attention to detail. Decorated with a lovely, quirky and a tad bit funky eye, the surroundings are welcoming and comforting. Every member of the staff was attentive and helpful -- even to the point of noticing it was Jack's birthday (from his passport, I guess) during our stay and sending champagne up to the room to mark the occasion!

Breakfast was fine and the cappucino delicious (foam in the shape of a heart in every cup!). The best part, though, was sitting in the garden with a paper each morning - what a treat.

Getting to the hotel was the only difficulty we had, having driven to Rome from Puglia, dropping the car at the airport, taking the train to the Termini station and then taking a taxi from the station to the hotel (and getting ripped off by the taxi driver -- be sure the drivers turn on the meter...they seem to like making up fares for the tourists) was a trial. But once in our room, we were rewarded. Each room is decorated differently -- ours was in shades of burgundy, with long flowing curtains in the tall window. Parquet flooring and a bathroom to die for -- chandelier, a bronze tiled, massive soaking tub/shower -- luxury!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We chose the Sant'Anselmo as we wanted a quiet hotel which was not too far from the historic centre of Rome. The hotel is in a leafy residential area on the Aventine hill and there are several historic churches in the vicinity. However there are no shops, bars or cafes. The rooms are themed in a rather theatrical style; the overall ambience is quietly efficient and elegant. The staff are discreetly attentive and service is very good. The hotel is at the top of a steep hill and the walk back is daunting at the end of a long day's sightseeing. There is no restaurant, although evening meals can be taken in the garden restaurant at the hotel's sister establishment, the San Pio, which is in the next street. This is quite an expensive option, but the only alternative is to descend the hill again and find a restaurant in the narrow streets of the Testaccio area (and then face the walk back up again!). Overall a very good hotel - but before you book, just be aware that the hilltop location does have some drawbacks as well as many advantages.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel San Anselmo? Share your experiences!