“Fantastic location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #321 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Wolverhampton, UK
“Fantastic location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Location for this hotel is perfect, we walked to all the major sights and didn't need to bother with any public transport or taxis to get around.

The hotel is clean and the staff, although not overly friendly, were professional and helpful.

We had a refurbished room and the bathroom was particularly impressive.

Would definitely stay here again if I returned to Rome.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

My first trip to Rome and I certainly hope not the last. If I did return I would check back into the Smeraldo in a heartbeat. The location is amazing! Walk to everything from The Piazza Navona to the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. The list goes on. So many restaurants and trattorias in the area you will have a hard time choosing one. Bakery next door and cafe/esspresso shop right out the front door. The hotel is in a weird spot. So weird in fact the taxi driver had a hard time finding it. Semi alley/narrow street. This does make it pretty quiet though. The hotel is divided into two buildings. The main part and the annexed part a door or two away next to the bakery. My room was in in the annexed area and it was not inconvenient but I did feel a little removed. My room was a single and taught me the Roman meaning of the word. It was by far the smallest room I have ever stayed in and the twin size bed was built for a child I think. However, it was still very clean and comfortable since I did not spend much time in it. My friends had a much larger room in the main building with a big queen size bed. I brought some wine from Tuscany and shared it with a friend on the small rooftop terrace. Not fancy but wonderful just the same. This is an absolute must! Makes you feel like a Roman and home with nice Chianti and gazing out onto the skyline at sunset. Sorry, started to get a little misty there for a minute. Did I mention shopping? How about the Farmers Market at dawn? The cab ride from the airport is about 50 euro but worth it. Same for the return. Ask for a cab at the desk and they will shedule your return trip for you. Also this hotel is very reasonable compared to many. I am a creature of habit when I travel and if I have a good experience I tend to return to same place again. I would have no problem returning to The Smeraldo Hotel in Rome. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main part and not the annex. but it's not a tragedy if you don't. D...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Norwood, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

It's a couple blocks between largo di torre argentina(taxi/minimarket) and Campo de Fiore(dinner/people watching). Nice updates like keycard room entry and soundproof windows. Ask for cappuccino at breakfast. Would've liked 24 hour lobby coffee or a kettle in the room. All in all a well maintained hotel.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Glamis, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for three nights. We stayed in room 203 and it was small but that was not a problem for us as it had everything we needed. Very upto date decor and new bathroom. Shower was excellent. The bedroom and bathroom were very clean. Bedding and towels were crisp and fresh. The only place we felt let down was breakfast. The juices were not fresh and there was no choice of skimmed or semi skimmed milk. The fresh fruit was tired. There was not much street noise. Staff were friendly and very helpful. The area was very central for our sightseeing and had lots of very good places to eat round about. All in all a good place to stay and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in room 203 which was a twin room and had recently been renovated by the look of it.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

We've just come back from four nights in Rome, staying at Hotel Smeraldo. The hotel is in a great location - 5-10 minutes walk to Piazza Navona, and easily walkable to all other main sites in Rome. It's in a semi-pedestrianised backstreet so fairly quiet at night although a bit noisy at other times. Staff were very helpful. They organised a taxi to and from the airport for us. The family room had a double bed and bunk beds which come out of a sofa. This was just about ok for our 12 and 13 year olds, particularly as our 12 year old is quite small but for anyone older/bigger I don't think it would be very safe/comfortable for either child. Otherwise the room was big enough and the bathroom was huge! Breakfast was ok - nothing very exciting but the usual pastries, toast, rolls, salami, cheese, cereals, yogurts. Plenty of restaurants nearby for lunch and dinner and a few places for breakfast. The room had free wifi which was fine although a bit erratic and you had to put in your username and password every time you wanted to connect.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
san francisco CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

We had a disappointing stay at the Smeraldo - probably because we were assigned to room 306 which is incredibly small, has no space for luggage, has not been renovated and had one window that looked out at an air shaft. The accordion folding shower "curtain" was creepy. It appears there may be other larger, more recently renovated rooms. That said, the staff was very helpful. We appreciated their storing our luggage while we took a 3-day trip to southern Italy, even though we would not be staying at the Smeraldo upon our return. We also were picked up too early to enjoy the free breakfast, but they did encourage us to go downstairs and grab a roll for the road. The location is excellent for exploring central Rome, but I will look for a different hotel on my next trip.

Room Tip: Avoid the "06" line of rooms.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

We stayed here while touring rome for four days,excellent location we walked everywhere & returned to a spotless clean room every evening.would definitely stay here again when we return to Rome.the staff were very helpful for all our requests

• Stayed October 2014

Been to Smeraldo Hotel? Share your experiences!