“Value for money!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #901 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Bangalore, India
“Value for money!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had two full days and 1 night to spend in Rome and booked this hotel for the combination of its rating as well as pricing. The hotel surprised me with the efficiency and courtesy of the staff. I was planning to drop my bags off in morning; and go out, come back again by check in time and do check in, however they let me do early check in and similarly late check out for no extra charge. The staff quickly arranged for adaptor, wifi etc the moment i asked for it. The facilities are not great but when you consider the money that you pay for; it seems more than worth the money.

The location is fantastic if you are on a budget tour...Its in the university area and thus is surrounded by all types of food joints, pizzerias etc all of which serve excellent food at nominal prices.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for value for money stay in Rome.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms closer to reception for better wifi signals.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a terrible experience staying at Hotel Athena. When we arrived they escorted us out of the hotel and across the road and down a back street. The room they gave us was in a separate apartment block and it was the most basic room I have ever seen and stunk of cigarette smoke. This was not what we were expecting from the pictures of the hotel. We went back to the hotel to complain and they said that they would give us back some Euros if we stayed in that awful room (I have stayed in hostels which were much nicer than that!)

When we refused to stay in that room, they then showed us a room which was actually in the hotel (which must have been empty all a long – very cheeky!! They must have just seen that we were a young couple and thought they could scam us into taking a disgusting room). I read reviews about the reception area being noisy but the only room they had available was on this floor so we had no choice but to take it. The room was what you would expect from a basic hotel. The reception area was however very very noisy and the walls were so thin that you could hear everything next door. I had 3 awful nights sleeping there and kept having to complain to the night staff. We tried to move rooms numerous times but the rude hotel staff/owners wouldn’t let us. One of the owners chose to ignore my complaint and serve another couple instead - very bad customer service.

The only positives about the hotel are that it is in a good location (Bologna station only 5 mins away) and the towels and bed sheets were clean.

I also wouldn't recommend the breakfast - there are many lovely bakeries near-by which serve better food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked this hotel on the basis of reviews i got from this site only and i realized that that’s my right decision. I stayed there for two nights. 30th and 31st July 2012. Best part is its location. 10 mints walking distance from metro station and train station. They provide a good and no of verity in the breakfast and free internet. Most importantly the owner brothers (on the reception) were very friendly and cooperative. According to me this is the best budget hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My partner and I stayed here in April 2012. The location was very convenient to many of the sites we wished to see in Rome. We were within 10min walk of the metro. We soon sorted out the buses and we could catch these outside the hotel. The staff were pleasant and always helpful when we needed advice which was quite often. The breakfast room was very pleasant and the choice of food (continental style) was excellent. The hotel let itself down with the room. It only just made the description of 'basic' and was not as clean as it could have been. I don't think the balcony had ever been cleaned. The en-suite was very poor. Not only very cramped but poorly fitted. I am by no means a big guy (5' 8" and under 12 stone) and could only just squeeze between the two shower doors which incurred scraping my back and chest each time. We were unable to avoid flooding the en-suite each and every time when showering, as the doors did not fit properly. It was mentioned at reception but had not been rectified by the time we checked out. Having said all that we were in Rome to see the sights which were amazing so one just puts up with these problems and gets on with it. When you have paid your money you make sure you enjoy!!!

Room Tip: I guess you just have to ask for one!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Narrogin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is an inexpensive hotel relatively close to the center of Rome. Breakfast is buffet/continental and better than many other budget hotels. The staff are willing to help when needed and there is 24 hr reception. The room was spacious and tidy, but plain. I would certainly stay here again, unless I was richer. There is a very pleasant, interesting and inexpensive restaurant about 100 metres away.

Room Tip: You have to buzz the hotel at the entry which is on a side street, and then navigate a small lift to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Milano
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I will join most of the reviewer here: it is minimum comfort, certainly not a 3 stars for my standards, too noisy when you need to get up quickly... Oki... but it is cheap and you are in Rome, with a connection through the Metro to the center (Colosseum, ect), so it depends what you are looking for!

I rate it under average due to the fact it is clearly not a business friendly hotel (you need to park randomly in the street, not the best location from hotel and for highways, ect) but clearly you won't die.

If now you are only looking for a kind of upgrade of a youth hotel, well this is a good place to stay!

Room Tip: If you travel by car, there is no parking... you will have to park in the street
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

As motorbike travellers who had not pre booked accomodation prior to arrival to this famous city we were more than happy to stay at this Hotel which is only 5 stops on the Metro from the famous land marks. The staff were friendly and approachable, the rooms clean and the breakfast was nice. Best to ask for a room that is not located near the Reception as they prepare breakfast from this area. Good for a stop over but may be not long stay. The rate was affordable.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the reception area
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Athena Hotel? Share your experiences!