“Had a great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #231 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Rockville, Maryland
“Had a great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2006

Stayed from Christmas through New Years. Arrived at the hotel using public transportation (train from the airport, metro from the Termini Station, and walk from Ottaviano stop) and I was relieved to not have to deal with taxis from the airport.

The room was spotlessly clean, with new linens and towels every day. The room was small - there was room for a small wardrobe, desk, and bed. The bed was smaller than an American double bed, but I like my wife, so it wasn't an issue :o) The bathroom had sink, toilet, bidet, and shower. Again, it was small, but I am 6'3" and was able to use all the facilities with no trouble. There was no street noise, but the interior walls are thin. Two of the nights our neighbors woke us up, but the rest of the nights were peaceful.

Breakfast is included in the price of the room and was good, with breads, rolls, pastries, crackers, meats, cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, juice, cereal, and made-to-order coffee. The hotel does not serve lunch or dinner, but there are 5 or 6 restaurants within a two or three block radius, but they keep "regular hours", not the longer "tourist hours" you might find closer to the Colesseum. We found the non-tourist restaurants to be better quality than the tourist ones. Find one with an Italian-language menu).

The hotel staff spoke english well and tried very hard to be helpful, though they had a hard time understanding our wanting to eat and shop like locals instead of tourists.

The location is very close to St. Peter's and Vatican Museum, somewhat close to the Spanish Steps, and somewhat removed from the Colesseum and Forum. The Ottaviano Metro stop is a 5-6 minute walk, and then it is a 10-15 minute subway ride to even the furthest sights (most sights a 5-6 minute subway ride).

I recommend this hotel highly if you would like to be away from the noise and tourist traps of the more crowded areas, and if you plan to be out all day. It will be slightly less convenient if you are the type that likes to return to your room a few times each day (as that involves the metro ride and short walk). Have fun!

• Stayed December 2005

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2005

I stayed at the Franklin only for one night. I wish I had booked my entire stay there. I selected a double room after reading the reviews of the tiny singles. The double was the same price as the single. It was luxuriously large and tastefully and imaginatively decorated. It is a welcome change to the typical over decorated, depressing hotel rooms with faux antiques often found in Europe. Altough the hotel is not conveniently located to a subway station (the subway stops at 9:00 p.m.), it is a short walk to the Vatican and around the corner to a bus line which will take you into historic Rome in 5-10 minutes. Finally, the staff made my stay in Rome. They not only told me how to get to places, but they knew the hours museums were open and gave me invaluable suggestions. They warned me that the line to get into the Sistine Chapel would be horrendous (it was). I would have wasted half the day of a long weekend waiting in line, but they volunteered to book a reservation that would get me right in (there is an additional charge, but it is worth it). The hotel was so helpful that I was able to make the most of my very short stay in Rome. My experience at this hotel was the complete opposite of my stay at the Villa Morgagni the next night.

• Stayed November 2005
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2005

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Franklin and were suitably impressed - could move in tomorrow ! Rooms finished to a high spec. blonde wood floors and fittings with B&O music system/phones. Bathroom white/chrome. Great continental breakfast served in equally stylish dining room with patio. Hotel situated in quiet residentail area away from crowds
but within walking distance of local metro station (10 mins) and St Peter's
Sq/Vatican (15 mins). Staff very helpful and friendly. Great value (by Rome
and other European Capital standards) at around £100 pernight.

• Stayed September 2005
brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

Just came back from Rome, and we really enjoyed our stay at the Franklin.
We had chosen the Peter Pan room (2 adults, 2 children) and everything was perfect.
Every morning we had breakfast in our own private little "garden" outside the room. Our table was set before we woke up and the girl from the bar (Simona I think) prepared delicious capuccinos and hot chocolate for the kids. Everyone at the reception was very helpful.
I think this is the perfect place for people travelling with one or two kids: TV, stereo, PS2, mordern furniture, a very nice bathroom, a relaxed atmosphere and nice people to help you.
Not cheap, but the place is ultra-modern and safe.
The fact that it is not centrally located should not be an issue. Just around the corner, you'll find bus 23 and 70 to the city center and two blocks away, there's the subway station.

• Stayed August 2005
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

Franklin Feel The Sound is one of the best hotels I have stayed in.

The design of the hotel is really unique and you can see the owners are musicians.

You can borrow DVD's and CD's from their extensive library to play in your soundproofed room.

The hotel is a 10 min walk from Vatican City and the nearest metro station.

There were some really nice touches in the hotel, each night when you returned to your room there was a biscuit on the bed with the weather forecast for the next day.

The breakfast area was really nice as you could sit out in the garden if the weather was nice.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

My girlfriend and I chose to stay at the Franklin after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed between the 14th and 17th June 2005 and we couldn't fault it. We checked-in to be told our room wouldn't be ready until 3pm, however they upgraded us to a camera room which was fantastic.

We found the hotel to be spotlessly clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Yes, the hotel is out of the way but we preferred that as you're not surrounded by tourists. The metro is a 10 minute walk and so is the vatican city. The area where the hotel is situated is safe, with local shops nearby.

We took advice from trip advisor and booked an internal room as previous reviews suggested the nearby garage was noisy. We didn't hear any noise, and it was ever so quiet at night which you wouldn't get staying in a hotel in the centre of Rome, nevermind how much you paid.

Breakfast on the terrace was great and typically european - [fresh bread, toasts, eggs, cheeses, meats, cereals, fruit, yoghurts with delicious coffees and fresh juices], and the staff were friendly and helpful.

You spend most of your time away from the hotel anyway but it is nice to return to a clean room with a good shower and air conditioning. The Franklin is perfect!!!!!!

We have both stayed at a lot of 5* hotels throughout the UK and Europe for business and leisure, and have found the Franklin to be up there with the best of them.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

I stayed at the Franklin for one night a few weeks ago. Like some of the other reviewers, we were put in a tiny single room with a less than average sized double bed and no room to move around. I asked why when I'd reserved a "standard" room the room was smaller than the majority in the hotel (checking the fire escape plans on each floor made this clear to me!) and was eventually upgraded but the hotel blamed the website we had booked with. In atmosphere, service and facilities it's basically a youth hostel that has been done up with some cheap gimmicks (the CDs, the stereos - more Hitachi than Bang & Olufson, rubber flooring in the hallways). Definitely not 4 star. The garden is lovely, but there's no bar or cafe service after you return from a hard day's sightseeing, so its usefulness as a place to relax is quite diminished. Paying for a 4 star hotel, and then having to wander the streets to get a snack for my sick co-traveller was not ideal.

Yes, its very close to the Vatican but in a down-at-heel Roman neighbourhood with few joys to be found roaming the local streets, so once you've done the Vatican the rest of your trip will be a hassle of taxis, metro and 30-40 minute walks.

Unlike one of the reviews I read above, I thought the photos were very unrepresentative of the reality of the hotel. It's cramped throughout (not just the tiny rooms) and throughout our (mercifully brief) stay, there always seemed to be some staff drama going on (doing the accounts in reception on the guest seating - come on!!!).

As several people said, its a rip off and panders to what people might think a boutique hotel is supposed to be like. There are better ways to spend 200 euros than being dazzled by a free-to-use CD collection.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Franklin Feel the Sound? Share your experiences!