“Beware their free cancellation offer rates = welcome to hell” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Diana Roof Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Principe Amedeo 4, 00185 Rome, Italy (Esquilino)   |
Ranked #467 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Beware their free cancellation offer rates = welcome to hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had a reservation for 1 night, Thursday 26 September. I had booked it on the "free cancellation 8% off" offer. I was in Rome for a few days 19-22, then flying to Genoa, then maybe returning to Rome for one night.

My plans changed, and I did not need the Hotel Diana Roof Garden for the night of Thursday 26 September. Their cancellation rules stated on the reservation form I had taken with me: "cancellations must be made directly to the hotel at least 48 hours before your expected arrival time". What could possibly go wrong?

I visited the hotel in person on Saturday 21st September to cancel, 5 days beforehand. The receptionist refused to accept my cancellation - I had booking reference, passport etc with me. She was arrogant, rude, dismissive. She told me I must cancel online through the ticket agency I had used. I pointed out I had booked directly through the hotel's own website! She said that made no difference. Their website routed via an agency and it was through them I must cancel.

I regarded my walking into the hotel in person was meeting their criteria "cancellations should be made directly to the hotel". They did not!

I told her I did not have a pc with me. That was, apparently, my problem. Though she did haughtily say I could use the hotel computer "over there" ..... er, why could she not do it herself?! She had my name on the system for the night in question and reference number! How hard could it be for them to cancel?

She told me I would have to come back on Monday and see the manager to see if he would accept the cancellation in person. "you have plenty of time before the 48 hours" she said, haughtily. No possible thought that maybe I would not be in the vicinity of the hotel that day, or even if I was, that I would want to make a second trip there.

I left in despair. I texted a friend in UK. He could make no sense of how to use their website to cancel the booking, and he had my details and reference number. But I gave him the hotel's email address, he emailed them, and they emailed on Monday to say my cancellation was accepted. No hint of an apology from them.

Had they had availability, I would have stayed there for my 4 nights 19-22 Sept. Luckily they didn't. Maybe the hotel is fine if you stay, I don't know.

But i would advise in the strongest possible terms not to make any booking at a rate advertising "free cancellation". They will put you through hell should you need to use the cancellation option.

A year ago I stayed at the StarHotel Metropole across the road for 6 days and it was superb. They were full this year, so I could not stay there. But I walked in to say hello to one friendly receptionist I recalled fondly - and I got a huge welcome, he remembered me. Quite a contrast.

I will never go near the Hotel Diana Roof Garden in future. AVOID. You can not trust them not to make life hell for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My Mum and I stayed here in July. Found it be in a great location. Reception staff oredered a few taxis for us. Not sure if they were working together, but the taxi drivers always seemed to take us the long way round. Never happened when we found our own taxi. Staff were polite and courteous to us. Rooftop Garden restaurant was lovely and had a nice view of the city. Good eateries and easy to find your way around Rome. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The only thing that you can benefit from is the location since it is located next to the subway and train station. Other than that, do not even ask for service. The breakfast buffet is unacceptable. If you are looking for an employee at breakfast, just try to chase the loud voices that annoys you in the morning since those people scream in the morning when talking to each others. The only person who approaches you is a kind trainee. The rooms are so small to the point that you can barely move.
I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I truly hope a manager is reading this because I would like to think they will take my feedback on board.

I am from Ireland and I stayed in the hotel 2 weeks ago and was very much looking forward to my first-time-visit to Rome, and the hotel looked very nice from the website.

In truth, the hotel itself isn't that bad. It is clean, comfortable with a nice breakfast and good location to Termini station, this providing easy access to the rest of the city.

However, the customer service and general staff behaviour was appalling. The check-in staff were curt and ignorant - slapping my room key onto the counter and not providing any details about breakfast or hotel amenities. For a 4-star hotel this was a surprise. My room wasn't registered until over 3 hours later, so I couldn't use the internet. I noticed later they were much more friendly with an elderly American couple, giving them discount vouchers for drinks at the bar and so on. I sincerely hope that it wasn't because I was perceived as a young English-speaking traveller, on my own and therefore without any money. Regardless, this is how it felt at the time.

However, upon going to the roof-top bar, it got even worse. The man behind the bar was discourteous, arrogant and obnoxious. He was very aggressive when speaking to me ("What do you want?"). In some ways, i was thankful that it wasn't just me this time - he was also astonishingly ignorant to a group of old people trying to order some drinks and enjoy themselves. This person also engaged with a heated discussion with the other staff, so all-in-all it was a very unpleasant experience. So much so, that myself and my colleagues, who were previously going to order some food there, decided that we wouldn't spend any more money than we had to in the hotel, and went elsewhere for the night.

There are many things to enjoy in Rome, but Diana Roof Garden is not one of them. If people ask about where I stayed, I will never recommend this hotel. In fact, I will actively discourage people from coming here. I often wonder why people, who obviously have little time or patience for other people, work in customer-facing roles such as this. It is clear that hotels like this are very fortunate to have Rome as their selling point.

In conclusion, I would like to advise the hotel this ... it costs nothing to be polite and friendly, but the lack of such things is priceless.

Room Tip: Very busy location in the morning, so try and get a room on higher floors. It won't get rid of a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Washington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel Diana Roof Garden is a very nice 4 star hotel near the Termini so getting around Rome on the Metro was easy. The staff was helpful although not especially friendly. The roof top restaurant is wonderful. Breakfast, which is included, is served there if you want, and drinks and even dinner is available later in the evening. Great view. The drinks were a little expensive though. Our only other complaint was that our room could not pick up the free Wi-Fi service and our bathroom was extremely small. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Waterford, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Diana for two nights while on a business trip in Italy during September 2013. Upon arriving at reception, I was left standing twiddling my thumbs while the two members of staff did their utmost not to make eye contact. Then a bus arrives outside, and I stood in disbelief as 10 or so people were greeted with huge smiles, offers of help and then checked in by these two members of staff. I listened as they were handed maps, informed of the wifi and even that the contents of the minibar were included.

The horror show had begun! I eventually managed to gain the attention of a reception staff member got checked in with sour faces, no offers of help, no information about wifi until I asked myself, and certainly no information about the minibar (which was empty as it turned out!), I chalked the terrible experience down to being a once off, picked up my bag and went up to my room rather unhappy.

Upon arriving I instantly realised I'd been given a cubby hole in the corner containing a bed. A cosy four star furnished and decorated, but a cubby hole none the less. I think to myself, I'm only here to sleep and I don't need much space so think no more of it.

I spent the first evening working on my laptop in the restaurant, while having dinner and enjoying a beer, I found this member of staff serving me to be very friendly and more than happy to help. My spirits lifted, I soon retired to bed for the night, hoping to get an early start in the morning.

The room was very stuffy, I then went to turn the air conditioning on only to find it was malfunctioning and a big bath towel sitting under it soaking up the leaking water. The hotel staff were also aware of this. Once more I said to myself, not a problem! I'll just open the window and let the outside air cool the room. I spent the night listening to the cooks chopping meat of some form or another. I was on the 4th floor, I'm not quite sure where the kitchen is, but the court yard seemed to amplify the sounds of the bar on the roof down, and the kitchen up. It took a lot longer to get to sleep than it should due to this situation.

I woke early, and went for breakfast. I noticed a reasonable spread waiting for the hotel guests. I drank my coffee and retired back to my room. From 9:00 - 15:00 I continued to work in my room. I had two different teams of workmen fixing the air con, and house cleaning services during this time. I noticed the minibar being stocked by the house keeping services, which was not stocked the first day. I decided to go for a quick walk around the city to clear my suddenly darkened mood.

I was to be joined by 3 colleagues later this evening, two staying at the hotel, and a third elsewhere. We had decided to meet at the rooftop restaurant and bar at Hotel Diana. Once more I was left standing, while the barman mutters under his breath. At one point he makes eye contact, raises his eyebrow with the universal indication he's ready to take an order. I smile, and ask would it be possible to order a drink, he instantly sneers and almost shouts "just a minute please!", it felt like I was asking him for something after I had deeply insulted him personally or something. I'm shocked. I stand in silence as he continues to work. Two minutes later I see him pouring a beer which he then throws in front of me, and shouts "Seven.". He did not ask what I wanted to order, and in shock and utter disbelief I paid him for this beer. Then walked to my seat. A second member of staff is shouting to take a seat at a two man table, and only grudgingly relents when I mention I will have 3 colleagues joining me shortly.

As my first beer is almost consumed, my first colleague arrives, and I take the opportunity to get a refill. The same barman stands ready to insult me once more! "WHAT do you want?" he asks once more in an aggressive manner. I must be coming down with a case of Stockholm syndrome I think to myself as I pay for a second beer. The original plan had been to have dinner at the Hotel Diana, but after discussing the situation we decided the only real way to deal with this was not to hand over another Euro to this company. We looked up the closest half decently reviewed restaurant and had a lovely evening there instead.

The next morning I went for breakfast, only to be met by the same sour faced restaurant staff from the previous night, who once more is half shouting at me telling me where to sit, I instantly do a u-turn, head back to my room, pack and head down to the lobby to checkout. I'd had enough.

This time I was served reasonably quickly. I was in no mood for niceties or pleasantries, and was amused to have received none from the staff member. I sat in the lobby waiting for my colleagues to checkout. Twice during this 20 minute period I had both the reception staff poking their heads around the pillar long enough to catch my attention with unfriendly faces making sure I felt unwelcome. I even had the porter walk right up to within 3 meters of me, also looking unfriendly and concerned at my presence!

My entire stay at the Hotel Diana was pretty nightmarish! Not only will I never stay at this hotel again, but it has ruined my entire trip to Rome! I'm unlikely to ever willingly return.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room far from the bar or the kitchen! Those cooks can certainly whack a skillet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Anywhere, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Diana is conveniently located near all the action in Rome. They serve delicious complementary breakfast every morning and it's close to public transportation :-) the service was ok, nothing to rave about. The room I stayed in was nice, clean and had a nice view of the street. Restaurants and entertainment is close by as well.

• Stayed April 2013