“Nice hotel close to Termini with great roof garden” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Diana Roof Garden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Diana Roof Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Diana Roof Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Principe Amedeo 4, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #457 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Washington, Illinois
“Nice hotel close to Termini with great roof garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel Diana Roof Garden is a very nice 4 star hotel near the Termini so getting around Rome on the Metro was easy. The staff was helpful although not especially friendly. The roof top restaurant is wonderful. Breakfast, which is included, is served there if you want, and drinks and even dinner is available later in the evening. Great view. The drinks were a little expensive though. Our only other complaint was that our room could not pick up the free Wi-Fi service and our bathroom was extremely small. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Waterford, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Diana for two nights while on a business trip in Italy during September 2013. Upon arriving at reception, I was left standing twiddling my thumbs while the two members of staff did their utmost not to make eye contact. Then a bus arrives outside, and I stood in disbelief as 10 or so people were greeted with huge smiles, offers of help and then checked in by these two members of staff. I listened as they were handed maps, informed of the wifi and even that the contents of the minibar were included.

The horror show had begun! I eventually managed to gain the attention of a reception staff member got checked in with sour faces, no offers of help, no information about wifi until I asked myself, and certainly no information about the minibar (which was empty as it turned out!), I chalked the terrible experience down to being a once off, picked up my bag and went up to my room rather unhappy.

Upon arriving I instantly realised I'd been given a cubby hole in the corner containing a bed. A cosy four star furnished and decorated, but a cubby hole none the less. I think to myself, I'm only here to sleep and I don't need much space so think no more of it.

I spent the first evening working on my laptop in the restaurant, while having dinner and enjoying a beer, I found this member of staff serving me to be very friendly and more than happy to help. My spirits lifted, I soon retired to bed for the night, hoping to get an early start in the morning.

The room was very stuffy, I then went to turn the air conditioning on only to find it was malfunctioning and a big bath towel sitting under it soaking up the leaking water. The hotel staff were also aware of this. Once more I said to myself, not a problem! I'll just open the window and let the outside air cool the room. I spent the night listening to the cooks chopping meat of some form or another. I was on the 4th floor, I'm not quite sure where the kitchen is, but the court yard seemed to amplify the sounds of the bar on the roof down, and the kitchen up. It took a lot longer to get to sleep than it should due to this situation.

I woke early, and went for breakfast. I noticed a reasonable spread waiting for the hotel guests. I drank my coffee and retired back to my room. From 9:00 - 15:00 I continued to work in my room. I had two different teams of workmen fixing the air con, and house cleaning services during this time. I noticed the minibar being stocked by the house keeping services, which was not stocked the first day. I decided to go for a quick walk around the city to clear my suddenly darkened mood.

I was to be joined by 3 colleagues later this evening, two staying at the hotel, and a third elsewhere. We had decided to meet at the rooftop restaurant and bar at Hotel Diana. Once more I was left standing, while the barman mutters under his breath. At one point he makes eye contact, raises his eyebrow with the universal indication he's ready to take an order. I smile, and ask would it be possible to order a drink, he instantly sneers and almost shouts "just a minute please!", it felt like I was asking him for something after I had deeply insulted him personally or something. I'm shocked. I stand in silence as he continues to work. Two minutes later I see him pouring a beer which he then throws in front of me, and shouts "Seven.". He did not ask what I wanted to order, and in shock and utter disbelief I paid him for this beer. Then walked to my seat. A second member of staff is shouting to take a seat at a two man table, and only grudgingly relents when I mention I will have 3 colleagues joining me shortly.

As my first beer is almost consumed, my first colleague arrives, and I take the opportunity to get a refill. The same barman stands ready to insult me once more! "WHAT do you want?" he asks once more in an aggressive manner. I must be coming down with a case of Stockholm syndrome I think to myself as I pay for a second beer. The original plan had been to have dinner at the Hotel Diana, but after discussing the situation we decided the only real way to deal with this was not to hand over another Euro to this company. We looked up the closest half decently reviewed restaurant and had a lovely evening there instead.

The next morning I went for breakfast, only to be met by the same sour faced restaurant staff from the previous night, who once more is half shouting at me telling me where to sit, I instantly do a u-turn, head back to my room, pack and head down to the lobby to checkout. I'd had enough.

This time I was served reasonably quickly. I was in no mood for niceties or pleasantries, and was amused to have received none from the staff member. I sat in the lobby waiting for my colleagues to checkout. Twice during this 20 minute period I had both the reception staff poking their heads around the pillar long enough to catch my attention with unfriendly faces making sure I felt unwelcome. I even had the porter walk right up to within 3 meters of me, also looking unfriendly and concerned at my presence!

My entire stay at the Hotel Diana was pretty nightmarish! Not only will I never stay at this hotel again, but it has ruined my entire trip to Rome! I'm unlikely to ever willingly return.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room far from the bar or the kitchen! Those cooks can certainly whack a skillet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Anywhere, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Diana is conveniently located near all the action in Rome. They serve delicious complementary breakfast every morning and it's close to public transportation :-) the service was ok, nothing to rave about. The room I stayed in was nice, clean and had a nice view of the street. Restaurants and entertainment is close by as well.

• Stayed April 2013
Camarillo, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Diana in two rooms, both doubles (one with twin beds, one with a single bed, which was really two twins made up as one bed). The staff was friendly, efficient and helpful, the rooms were clean, and the breakfast was ample. We found the beds in one room rather firm, and one bathroom had a shower with a configuration which was awkward to use. The room that faced the street was noisy (we were on the third floor). The roof garden was very nice for breakfast or for drinks in the evening, but it was a bit chilly in the morning. Location was great, easy to walk to the train station or many local sites.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel. Both times I received excellent service from both the front desk and the restaurant (breakfast). The hotel isn't that noticeable with much larger chain hotels in the vicinity but it is definitely worth consideration. The rooms I've stayed in "single" and "standard" were both nice sized and spotless. The a/c kept my room like ice in the middle of August !! The roof-top garden gives you a view of Rome and a quite place to eat breakfast. I will definitely stay there again and look forward to their exceptional service and accommodations. Thank you for a great stay !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights early September. The hotel was lovely and in a great location. It is located not to far from the train station. The hotel has a lovely roof top garden over looking Rome with some amazing views! We were able to sit and eat breakfast out there each morning which was great.
We walked to most areas of Rome that we wanted to explore so for us it was a perfect hotel in a great location would def recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Jose Dos Campos, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed at the Diana for a one-night business trio to Rome. This hotel is conveniently located at 5 minutes from the Termini station and it was a perfect starting point to the meeting location, situated nearby.
The rooms are awesome. Cleanliness at its best. The bathroom was huge, specially considering european standards. The room exceeded my expectations.
Staff at the desk was rapid enough with check-in and check-out processes. The whole bureaucracy desk was efficient and very professional. I liked it.
The breakfast, included in the fare, was good but nothing spectacular. I was actually turned off by the low variety of fruits and cereals.
The garden roof it's a must see. My visit was is in mid-ocotber so weather was not at its best, nevertheless, going there to see some view from a magnificent city like Rome it is, with no doubt, a plus.
Sleep quality was not that good. They gave me a room in the fourth floor, and I am not sure what was going on outside my window, but there was some engine or machine working all night....but since I was exhausted It didn't took too long to fall asleep.
Overall, hotel Diana did the job and the rooms were an unexpected surprise. 4 stars out of five.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Diana Roof Garden? Share your experiences!