“Luxury in the middle of Rome” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel De Russie
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Del Babuino 9, 00187 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)   |
Ranked #74 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Luxury in the middle of Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

One of the best and well run hotels I've stayed at. The concierge picked some good local restaurants for us to try (non tourist) and set us up with a great walking guide. The courtyard is absolutely amazing for breakfast or enjoying a drink outdoors as you feel you're in an oasis, somehow forgetting about the busy city outside. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The restaurant and spa are top notch. Plus, you can't beat the location. I would recommend to any travel looking for upscale accommodations right in the middle of Rome.

Room Tip: If you can afford one of the suites with balcony, then it is worth it
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It is a real pleasure to know that you enjoyed our Hotel and location. I am glad that the concierge was helpful and that you were able to savor an authentic Roman experience while in the Eternal City and that you had the chance to relax in our Secret Garden for breakfast and drinks. I agree with you that the courtyard is an oasis offering tranquility from the chaotic daily life outside the Hotel doors. The suites with balconies are truly unique and offer unparalleled views of the city, a real treat to take in the city in total privacy. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to my staff who will be happy to know their hard work is valued and offers the highest service possible to our esteemed guests. I very much look forward to welcoming you once again when you are next in Rome. Happy Holidays!

Stefano Gegnacorsi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I last stayed at The Hotel de Russie when it first opened about 12 years ago. Clearly an amazing location. Rocco Forte paid attention to detail and struck the right balance in blending the old with the new. Service was attentive and crisp and the pace had a great vibe.

What a difference 10 years makes! The rooms look tired. furniture is scuffed and worn out. painting is dreary. We were in a junior suite that was dark and had no views of the garden which is why one stays there. But I guess I should have felt honored that this was only costing me 1,300 euros a night!!! Service is desultory. The gym was unappealing and in need of a serious facelift.

If it weren't for the location one would be hard pressed to justify spending 300 euros a night. At its pricing, Hotel de Russie is living off its old glory and still managing to fill its rooms to an undiscerning audience. This was one of the biggest disappointments in a hotel I have had in many many years

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your helpful and important feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our prime location in the heart of the Eternal City and the unique way in which our Hotel blends the old with the new. However, I am very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your trip to Rome this time around. It is paramount for us to make sure that each guest is perfectly satisfied and I am greatly concerned that you did not have a positive experience. Please let me note that since you came 10 years ago, the Hotel has undergone many refurbishments and constant maintenance in order to ensure that our Hotel always maintains the highest five star quality standards and provides unrivalled service for our distinguished clientele. If you could be so kind as to supply me with a telephone number at which to contact you, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you about this and I would truly welcome the opportunity to learn from your experience so that such an occurrence does not repeat itself with any of our valued guests.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Russie has all the attitude of a great 5 star hotel but fails to deliver on quite a few levels. Our experience has been one of constant disappointment. For the price of the rooms you wouldn't expect to be put next to a Service Room where you can hear conversations and the loud banging and clatter from the service staff. The pillows on the bed are a choice of hard or lumpy (seriously - when was the last time you paid 500euro+ per night and had to request a soft pillow?) . The concierge, while very friendly and helpful, advised us to head to the Basilica first before our booked Vatican Museum tour but failed to find out that the church was closed. So we were dumped at the Vatican with a closed church in the pouring rain. The concierge is the life blood of a 5 star hotel so it's astonishing to see them so I'll informed. We also had an issue with the bathroom where an appliance wasn't working and we asked 4 times for someone to fix it. Seriously, it took 4 requests including waiting for 30 min on the third request for an engineer who never turned up. Add to this the slow internet that is practically useless unless you pay for the 'fast service' and you have an overall experience that is so far from what a 5 star hotel should deliver. I think the management of this hotel would be well advised to take a look at their sister hotel in Florence - The Savoy. Our stay there just for one night was perfection - we've never had such a warm greeting and every staff member went out of their way to help and assist us. Their rooms are more comfortable and better designed. We would not recommend staying here if you are going to pay the hefty room rate. Choose another hotel and save yourself the disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We welcome every opportunity to learn and such reviews are extremely helpful as we seek to deliver the best service possible. I am very concerned that you deemed your experience disappointing and I would truly appreciate the chance to speak with you to discuss this further. If you could be so kind as to supply me with a number at which I can reach you I will be sure to call you at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at the De Russie for 5 nights in August after a 3 night stay at the Four Seasons in Florence. I mention this, because I spent the entire trip comparing the two hotels. The Four Seasons in Florence was everything you want in a hotel, the De Russie, while nice had several problems. When our driver - in a Mercedes van - pulled up to the hotel the valet let another driver in a Mercedes S550 block him in a way that made it impossible to get us or our bags out of the vehicle until the other driver had left his vehicle had his bags taken and the car pulled away. This was the recurring theme during our stay - whoever appears to be the most important gets service. Overall the staff was indifferent to us the entire stay - never greeted us, asked us if we needed anything, if our stay was ok.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with a connecting room. The connecting room was actually nicer than the suite - generous room size with a nice sized bathroom. The suite was terribly small with a closet sized bathroom. The hardwood floors in our suite meant we heard every step our upstairs neighbors took. For some reason the toilet was squeezed against a radiator, which made it impossible to sit properly on the toilet. I get that you need to make some concessions when redecorating but at this price point I think it's a little ridiculous to ask people to sit sideways to use the toilet.

The garden area bar and restaurant are very pretty, service was adequate, the food was adequate, but not memorable. I would recommend the property, but my experience here was just "meh".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to write this review. It really helps us to address the specifics of how we can improve the Hotel as we strive to offer the best guest experience. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our garden and bar area, yet I am truly sorry to read about some of the issues you raised, especially relating to noise and customer service. Please rest assured that our customers are all equally important to us and I am very concerned that you did not feel this way. I am personally investigating your comments to ensure that such an occurrence does not happen in the future. I would like to get in contact with you to discuss this further; if you could kindly supply me with your telephone number I would appreciate the chance to speak to you.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel De Russie. The concierge was very helpful, the service was excellent, our room was luxurious and very comfortable, and we loved the ambience of the lemon scented garden for lunch as well as drinks after dinner. The hotel is a beautiful oasis in the middle of Rome. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Probably the best hotel in Rome since a good five if not more years, with a great mix of classic and modern style at piazza del popolo perfectly situated close to everything important such as shopping, restaurants, business and culture.
Service is five star, very clean, the courtyard is fantastic and the bar and restaurant of top quality.
Negatives are busy entrance with Via del babuino in front and if you are towards the back street you may hear people emptying garbage cans in the morning so try to stay at the courtyard side and not too low.
Spa is small but great, massages are very good so literally a more than safe choice, but it goes at a hefty price unless you go low season.
I have stayed here several times since it was first constructed and the standard hasn't changed.
I just love it!

Room Tip: Courtyard or ag Piazza del Popolo
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Management-DeRussie, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Mikael,

Thank you for your kind review. We are very grateful to have you as such a loyal guest and are pleased that you are so satisfied with our services, location and design during each of your visits that you have chosen to return to the De Russie year after year. We are sorry that the Via del Babuino and surrounding streets can be noisy and crowded at times as they are situated in the heart of bustling vibrant Rome. Yet I often find that the tranquility and greenery of our Secret Garden quickly brings peace of mind and helps us forget the chaotic life outdoors. I am particularly glad that you enjoyed our Spa and the vast repertoire of relaxing and invigorating massages from our highly qualified staff. I will be sure to share all your generous comments with my staff. I very much look forward to hosting you during your next business or leisure trip to Rome.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Gorgeous location in the heart of Rome!
A luxury hotel, with a beatiful garden and an excellent cuisine. The staff is very kind and professional. The bar is very good - try Daffy Duck - and open at night.

And a lot of talents and celebrities all around!

Stayed November 2013

Been to Hotel De Russie? Share your experiences!