“Just perfect...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Verona Hotel

You added Verona Hotel to your Saves list
Verona Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via di Santa Maria Maggiore 154, 00185 Rome, Italy (Monti)   |
Ranked #374 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Panama City, Panama
“Just perfect...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've been in Europe many times but this is my first experience in Italy. I traveled with my mother and 2 aunts, and after reading some reviews in tripadvisor I decided to go for it due to its proximity to the Termini Station. I arragenged an airport pick up and just minutes after pickup our bags the driver was outside. Within minutes we were at the hotel. There we met Maurizio and Alessandro and we got our room in minutes. Yes, the elevator drops you in the middle between the floors and it might be a hassle for handicaps, but still that was no problem. Room for 4 as requested, hot shower, heater, tv, save box and a verynice balcony to the back of the hotel. Just perfect. In the morning a light breakfast; there we met Giovanna, the lady in charge of the breakfast area (yes, only breakfast) if you want to eat something else go out! You are in Rome! EVERYONE at the hotel were very nice and I thank them very much. THANK YOU for making my stay awesome. On the day we were leaving I left my bags at the front desk and picked up later before leaving to Naples, this made my morning a lot better. I'm a tourism Professional with 2 degrees and I highly recommed this hotel, kids, no kids, family, friends, etc. I would definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alessandro S, Proprietario at Verona Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Carlos
Thank you for leaving us your opinion on TripAdvisor.
Alexander, Maurice, Jane and all the staff always try to give their best. We do so with care and attention to make your holiday "memorable" as our objective exclusive since 1921.
Thank you again for your positive note,
The next time you come to Rome, you will find that we are preparing some new features, including the use of the garden, even in winter
I take this opportunity to extend my best regards.

Alessandro Salati

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been staying at the Verona for a long time now, and I just did again. Having had the occasion once in a while to try out other hotels in Rome, I remain convinced that this is one of the best values in town.

It's small, on a side street (so not much traffic or noise at night), yet extremely close to Termini and, more precisely, to Santa Maria Maggiore, with all the conveniences of that location and none of the problems (the Verona is on the "good" side away from the station, not on the sleezy and more run-down area one encounters by the parallel and perpendicular streets around it). The rooms are clean, small (what rooms are not small in Rome?) but neat. Breakfast is plentiful and varied. The staff I've had the delight of dealing with have all been very helpful and friendly; all spoke English and many also other languages, and on the few occasions I had any issues (with the TV set, for instance), they were ready to help as soon as they had a free moment. I have never tried internet in the hotel because there are 2 internet places across the street which cost next to nothing and provide ample time and large monitor screens which I prefer to my own portable. In addition, the Verona is very well communicated: at Termini, of course, one can catch practically ALL bus lines as well as the subway. There are several good restaurants close by (a couple right next door or around the corner), which also are not very expensive (unlike restaurants in other, more "touristy" corners of the city).

One may be surprised to hear that next to the hotel one finds wonderful museums (Museo Nazionale; Terme di Diocleziano) as well as early churches (besides Santa Maria Maggiore, with its great Constantinian mosaics, also Santa Pudenziana and Santa Prassede). A bit farther down and away from Termini one finds the church with Bernini's masterpiece, St. Teresa's Ecstasy; a bit more of a walk and one is on the hill of Quirinale overlooking the city. The walk to the Colosseum and the Forum is short and extremely pleasant, and one can even make a detour to visit Michelangelo's Moses in San Pietro in Vincoli after climbing a steep flight of stairs into a magnificent medieval quarter of Rome one would seldom get to see or visit otherwise.

After having tried many hotels in Rome over a 20-year period, this has become finally my home away from home whenever I visit that city (quite often).

Room Tip: ask for a room that does not look onto the street (although, as explained above, the street is gener...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Alessandro S, Proprietario at Verona Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
First of all, many thanks for having left your opinion on TripAdvisor.
Your review about the quality about our service will help us to improve our hotel which was established in 1921…
I hope that our service and courtesy given to you high value, and finally thanks to your contribution we can always improve…

Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed one night at the Hotel Verona while we were passing through Rome in November 2012. Although it's within about six blocks of the train station, we had a little trouble finding it (even when I was using Maps2Go on my iPhone). The streets are simply not marked very well in that area--a situation made a little more difficult because of our night arrival. The rooms are what I would expect in a three star hotel. I really liked the shuttered window that opened all the way and let the sights and sounds of Rome enter. Ours was the first group down for breakfast and everything was neat and very presentable and quite tasty overall. We found the staff to be generally helpful, even lending us a stapler when we needed one. We walked to Trevi Fountain and back from the hotel, a fascinating trail of history and quaint neighborhoods (mapped out for us by the staff). You might not want to spend a week here, but for a night or two, it's a typical Italian hotel in a good location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Alessandro S, Proprietario at Verona Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012

best regards
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in October 2012.

Staff: only one of checkin staff was even remotely helpful. We only saw him once. All the other staff we dealt with were inept. For two of the 3 days there was no internet at all. I called the front desk a few times and they said 'ok' and hung up. On the second day I went down to the front desk to explain that there was no service - the guy at the desk was texting on his phone and I stood there waiting for him to finish for almost 10 minutes. He told me I must be doing something wrong. I went back later on and there was a girl there who was slightly more helpful and rebooted the system which fixed the problem.

Food: DO NOT have the breakfast there, even if it is free. It is absolutely disgusting!! We were given a voucher with an allotted time to go for breakfast as the dining area is small. The only free tables had piles of dirty dishes on them and we were told to wait for them to be cleared. We waited for 45 minutes. They were still not cleared and the next group were showing up for their allotted breakfast time. We asked to sit outside on the terrace and, after much arguing from the lady, we were told we could. The food was deplorable.

Room: we tried to have a shower but the bathroom flooded - all the way into the room. The drain was blocked and when we turned on the shower water surged out of the drain and immediately flooded everything. The hotel was full so we couldn't change rooms to one with a working shower.

I cannot recommend this place. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alessandro S, Proprietario at Verona Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear guest.
Thank you for leaving a review of tripadvisor.
As owner of the Hotel Verona, I answer you that:
I can not imagine how all these mishaps, you may have happened.
This hotel must be quite a big trouble!
The free wifi, as described in all the booking sites, provides 50MB of daily traffic. If you want unlimited connection, you have to buy at a price of 5.00 EUR for all the period of your stay. Perhaps this description was not clear enough?
To our reception staff, is forbidden to use their mobile phones. Have you noticed if maybe they were booking a transfer or a city tour for a client of the hotel? The girl you solved the problem, maybe gave you an internet card free of charge?
Generally the food in Italy is pleasant for all non-Italian tourists. In our breakfast room you can find about 25 different types of foods, obviously prepared that morning, and you can take what you want in complete libertà.None of these you liked?
The customer can choose to book the night before, the time at which he wants to have breakfast, this is to prevent the accumulation of too many people in the room.
The customer is warned that if they enter the breakfast room at other times than those chosen, has the risk of finding crowds during the tasting breakfast or wait a few minutes, always working towards common standards of education and respect for those who at this moment is making their work.
It 's true that the shower drain was plugged, but you failed to say that the maintainer has released promptly.
The knowledge that can happen in unexpected people like us who work in this hotel since 1921 and promptly resolve them, assures us that the word "inept", is not ours.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Hotel Verona Rome
grovetown, ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. It was not a 3 star hotel, in my opinion. The room we got, Room 408, had mold in the bathtub, the shower head was falling off the wall, and when I moved around in the bathtub the floor moved, too. that means it is wet or moldy underneath it. The room was for 4 people, and it was so tiny you could barely walk through it. Breakfast was ok, location was ok, but on the edge of the seedy part of town. However, it was close to the train station and within walking distance of the Colosseum. Would not recommend to a friend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alessandro S, Proprietario at Verona Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Customer
Thank you for letting us your opinion on Tripadvisor
I am very sorry for your misfortune in our Hotel.
It 's true that we are close to the train station and the Colosseum, because we are located in the center of the city, which, to be a city of a few million people, there is enough control by the police, to avoid things happen "shady" as your attention.
About your assessment of the room:
Why have not you done this had happened at the time of your stay?
If you have a problem we had made sure we got to solve it. Now after a long time, unfortunately not anymore.
We are always close to our customers and their needs, but only if we know.
Best regards

Hotel verona Rome
owner
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Overall this is a nice hotel. Good sized comfortable rooms and in a good location with bars and restaurants nearby. The breakfast isn't fantastic but fulls the gap. The guy on night duty was rather unpleasant and has actually put me off ever staying at the hotel again. He charged my friend €10 for dropping a few crisps on the floor and lectured me about it - not quite sure why since it had nothing to do with me but he certainly enjoyed wagging his finger about and blabbing! Highly unpleasant man. But otherwise a good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving your review on Tripadvisor. I already wrote to you via email but as I have not yet received a reply I decided to reply here on Tripadvisor because your review omits some very important facts.
About the receptionist on the night shift, you charged 10 euro, because on your return (at 02:02 am in the morning and completely drunk ) you entered of your own free will, in the breakfast room, which at that time of the night (at 02:09 am) was closed! You have used the products for breakfast for the next morning and customers (at 02:11) have them brought to your room, leaving among other things, packets, crumbs and waste products, along your route.
The receptionist at night, called you (02:15) several times by phone and then knock to your room, but received no reply.
Your friend, who was drunk too, in order to try and placate the situation offered 10 Euro to the receptionist for the “inconvenience caused”.
In the hope that the misunderstanding has been cleared up, I invite you officially to stay in our hotel, with my promise that I will find a full English breakfast in the evening when you come back, straight to your room.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Hotel Verona Rome
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for a two nights, the room was too small for a double, not much space to walk around if you come with for two suitcases, the bathroom was small as well. The location is great, only 10 min from Termini and the Colosseum. Overall not a bad hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

best regards
Alessandro Salati

Been to Verona Hotel? Share your experiences!