“Affordable and comfortable.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #766 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“Affordable and comfortable.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I booked a single room for myself for 5 nights.
The checkin process was simple and I had a nice room on the 5th floor facing the rear of the building.
The bed was bigger than the expected single which was nice.
Overall the room was pretty clean except for some dust on the floors and some cobwebs on the ceiling corners. Bed was wasn't the softest but ok, but pillows hard as rocks. Shower was extremely small so if you are at all overweight or enjoy shaving your legs, it will be a challenge.
I did not like that there was no safe in the room. You had the option of leaving stuff with the front desk but I didn't no it. You also have to turn in your key when you leave. I had no issues, but I wasn't particularly comfortable with it.
The breakfast was ok. Fresh cappuccino or whatever hot beverage you like brought you you is nice. Options of pastry or bun with jam or spreadable cheese, OJ and crackers/cookies.
The hotel was nice enough to print off whatever documents I needed.
Not extremely helpful with suggestions on food or tours but I think it was mostly a language barrier.
The area during the day is fairly convenient, close to Termini and the bus stops for the hop on-hop off tours. At night its a different story. Prostitutes and lurkers line the streets a block up. Lots of homeless and sketchy people everywhere. As a single woman alone, I did not enjoy it. I was not wandering about much but the times I was coming back or ran out to get food, it wasn't enjoyable. I never felt threatened, but just be careful. Even the hotel shuts off all lights and chains the door shut after 1am. They will be there to let you in but clearly its not the best area but it never really interfered much.
I know it sounds like there was a lot to complain about but really, there wasn't. It was good value for what I got and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Asked for quiet room, was given 501, room not facing the street. Quiet except for cleaning staff in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

After exciting journey nice to relax,so near centrum and Termini station,not noisy place.Sure,without luxus,but conditions were normal,staff very polite and helpfull,breakfast good.You can continue your trip without nervous counting the time you need to rich station or airport.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Guayaquil, Ecuador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

the rooms are still the same , the elevators will stop between the floors

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lafkas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

It was a nice hotel located in the convinient place. The places of interest are easily reachable both by metro and on foot. The desk staff were all very helpful and able to answer or make suggestions to every question we asked and as it was our first visit to Rome this was very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Although this is situated close to the termini, I believe we could have found another great location and better deal all the way around had we looked more throughly. The bathroom is awful, mildew and falling apart.
We came back to the room after a long days journey in a hot and muggy rome to find that the hot water heater was broken and we could not shower. We were given no compensation for this.
When I went down to inquire about it the staff member blew it off as if it was no concern. I asked it they had bottled water for guest. He replied that they had both flat and gas available for the guest in such an overly generous way I thought that the water was complimentary...it was not! They did take it off the bill though.
Worst for last:
The beds are so old that we were sinking in the middle. They pushed two singles together for our 4 night stay which was a nightmare...I am a creature of habit with certain things and falling asleep with the heavy arm of my handsome beloved over me is an absolute must...we could not get comfortable at all!!!!The beds sagged at different areas and even when we did try our best to snuggle, the beds moved apart.
The staff was nice, but not enough to way out the other conditions.
The wi-fi was free but someone was always on the house computer and we didn't cart ours on our trip.
The breakfast was the same everyday. Although I have an understanding that breakfast is not a big meal for Italians, I also have an understanding that it could have been vast improved. The rolls were stale, the packaged cookies and wafers low quality, the coffee the worst you could possibly imagine (and I have had incredible Italian coffee), boxed corn flakes and warm milk galore...a total carb/sugar breakfast guaranteed to have your blood sugar crashing, head ache pounding, dehydrated start to your journey in history thick Rome where you just might have wanted to start out nourished, well slept, and comfortably bathed.
I did actually take photos of the mold in the bathroom, but I can't get them to load up and we decided I should just go ahead and get our reviews posted.

Room Tip: look into other places to stay.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Igea for 1 night at both the beginning and end of a tour we booked to see Northern Italy. Rome being very expensive, this was affordable and very clean within walking distance to all sights. 3 min. from Termini Station it was very convenient.

The staff was very helpful in providing a map and directing us to our sightseeing. They were generous in allowing us to take a bagged breakfast since our tour was leaving earlier than the breakfast room opened. They even kept our extra baggage for no extra fee while we took our 5 day tour.

Please note that if you're traveling in Europe and expecting the same star rating for hotels there as you would in North America you are being unfair in your expectations. This hotel is old, elevator is small and beds are both small and basic (NOT a Shertaton pillowtop mattress by any means) but it is what you need to accept for a hotel in Europe. Paying double what you would for the same hotel in North America is to expected.
Having said that, I would consider this hotel cleaner than almost all the Holiday Inns or Comfort Inns I've ever stayed at.

They had free use of the computer and WIFI in the lobby.

If you were to compare this hotel to any of the others in the area, you would be hardpressed to find anything cheaper that is as good as this one. We would definately stay at this hotel again!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights, the hotel is very near the Termini station (5 min walking) and lots of restaurants. We could do almost everything by foot, using the metro once in a while. The staff is friendly but hardly speaks English. The breakfast is ok, but no fruits or other things beside croissants, cornflakes and some sweet breads. The bathroom is very small and had a leaking in the ceiling, that was fixed in the next day. Considering other hotels that we stayed in Europe, this one was expensive if we compare the quality of the rooms and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Igea Hotel? Share your experiences!