“Brilliant Hotel, would't stay anywhere else!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Astoria Garden

You added Astoria Garden to your Saves list
Astoria Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Vittorio Bachelet 8-10, 00185 Rome, Italy (Esquilino)   |
Ranked #263 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Hotel, would't stay anywhere else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My Partner and I visited this hotel last year and i have only just got round to writing this review. This hotel is in a great location just round the corner from Termini and on the nicer side (please be warned not to go walking round the other side of Termini where all the graffiti is, this area is dangerous). The Staff are so helpful and friendly with the language barrier not being a problem at all as they all spoke very good english. They pointed out a brilliant family run restaurant where we ate 2 nights running, tip for you though they have two restaurants in parallel streets the better one is furthest away. The rooms were small but well equipped and very clean. This is all we needed as we spent most of our time around Rome and not in the room. Our room led onto the courtyard which was very picturesque and it took you away from the busy city. The breakfast room was quite small however there was always enough tables and plenty food for all with a continental style buffet.
All in all a brilliant hotel close to Termini and the metro which will take you to close proximity to all points of interest for a small fee.

Room Tip: A room off the Courtyard! It was a great start and end to my day walking through this wonderful hav...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton,England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel was all we hoped for,in a very central location literally 10 minutes from Termini.Was welcomed by front desk clerk and checked in very efficiently.Had a triple room which was compact but perfectly spacious enough for three of us.Problem with in-room safe was sorted quickly.Only downside to room was the rather gloomy bathroom-shaving was an interesting event!
Breakfast was very nice indeed,all you could wish for in a European hotel,wandered around the pretty garden and spotted the outside cabins which looked very nice.Checkout was smooth and painless.Would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisier than at the rear,quite a busy road out front
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Leamington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

we booked this hotel and stayed for a long weekend back while living in Germany, and found it very handy to all locations, and close to the rome subway/metro...loved being able to walk to everything important to us! Great breakfast, and even when I almost started a fire with their toaster they were still smiling! Very friendly and helpful staff, room was certainly clean and well priced for the area. Staff recommended a restaurant around the corner, we even went twice for dinner there...loved it! We will be going back to Rome on holiday from Canada in September and plan on staying here again. I should mention that we had booked with friends to stay in the same hotel, the reservation got mixed up and there was only room for us (my fault, the mixup) but they were very accommodating and got them into the same type of hotel right next door almost!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. It's in a great location. Walkable to Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, even the Colosseum (if you like to walk). Minutes to Termini. Great restaurants right around the corner. Friendly staff. Good accommodations in the room. In comparison to where we stayed in Lido di Venezia, this was a better value and right around the same price. The staff were knowledgeable about the area and things to do. They acted like concierges as well as receptionists. The free breakfast was plentiful and more than a continental breakfast. Again, great value for what we paid. We were able to check in when we arrived - way earlier than the 3pm check-in which was great because we were truly exhausted from the overnight flight. There was free wifi which worked better in this room than in the other two rooms in Florence and Venice. We didn't need to go outside or hold the Kindle at a certain angle - it just worked. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The hotel is located smack in the middle of a huge hotel community. Don't know how it compares in price with the others. This was the most expensive hotel of our 2 week Italian holiday. Can not believe that they limit you to 1 hour of wi-fi and act as though they are doing you a favor!! The bellhop scolded my husband for exiting through the wrong door to the garden. It seems like there are many more "no's" than "yes's". I had a free Italian 800 number to call and didn't want to use the room phone and incur any additional charges....you'd think I was asking for the moon! The breakfast was the worst one I had during our trip. Nothing was fresh, I couldn't believe that the cappachino came from the same machine that I find in local 7/11's! The room was adequate...definitely nothing fancy! We were very fortunate to find a parking space practically in front of the hotel, since we were warned about Rome parking! The manager was wonderful and very accommodating, but other than him, and the front desk person who helped us with our departure, I found the staff to be very hoity toity and cool. I would check around with other hotels prior to booking at this one!

Room Tip: Overall, okay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was torn between giving this hotel 2 stars and 3 stars but decided to give it 2 stars based on the room I got during both my stays this month. First the plus side, the hotel is very conveniently located close to the Termini train station. You can walk to most of Rome's highlights within 30 minutes. The room I got was also pretty clean.

Now for the not so great part. The room I got was very small, smaller than other usual small rooms in Europe. It was quite dark at night, there were 2 lights in my room and they just did not give out enough light. There is also a school next door which made my street side room quite noisy. My room was on the third floor, I'd imagine that the second floor rooms would be worse from a noise level. I found my free breakfast just okay. On the front desk side, I had a very friendly and helpful person one time and not so great persons the next couple of times. One gave me clearly wrong information, he said a nearby supermarket was closed on Sunday when it was not.

I might give this hotel 3 stars, maybe even 4 stars, if I was given a garden side room and had the front desk person who was helpful there all the time. But, because I got a small, dark, and noisy room and not so great front desk people most of the time I can only give this place 2 stars even with its good location.

Room Tip: Avoid the street side rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

After reviewing Hotels on TripAdvisor we chose the Astoria Gardens in Rome near the Terminni. Although the room was smaller, the bathroom was comfortable and worked very well. As for location it was perfect close to the Train station but not too close. Within the Train station are a large selection of shops which served us well during our stay.
The Hotel has a court yard with lovely gardens, orange trees, lemon, lime and bannana, the atmosphere is lovely and relaxing. We found that we were able to walk to all the attraction and retrauants of our choosing.
The staff are kind and helpful and the morning breakfast make for a wonderful start of the day. My wife tossed the coin into the Travi Fountin so if all is as the story goes we shall return and we would choose ths same Hotel.
We read all of the blogs about the possible hazards of Rome and the Terminni, found it all very safe and very easy to get around, the Police are very helpful with direction.

Room Tip: We choose the standard double room, there are other choices of some with balconies should one wish t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Astoria Garden? Share your experiences!