“Hotel Diplomatic: another excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Vittoria Colonna 28, 00193 Rome, Italy (Prati)   |
Ranked #319 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow
“Hotel Diplomatic: another excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I returned to the Hotel Diplomatic for a three-night stay last week - my second time at this hotel.

The venue is excellent - just a 10 minute walk across the river to the Spanish Steps and the centre of town, plus a lovely 5-10 minute walk along the river to the Castel Sant'Angelo and St Peters.

The hotel itself is exactly what I was looking for in a good three star hotel, if not more.

The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, the bathroom a good size and the mini-bar is the type of small fridge which you can put your own water / wine in. The wardrobe is a good size and there are real hangers which you can actually remove from the wardrobe - result!

Some people have complained about the air conditioning, and having just spent four days in Rome when it was 42 degrees, I agree that it's not the best air-con system but it's perfectly adequate. If I can survive in these temperatures then I'm sure everyone else can. Just keep the shutters down during the day and keep the air con up and the room will be a lovely temperature at the end of the day. On a positive note, the fact that the air-con is not heavy duty means that you don't wake up in the middle of the night with a dry, scratchy throat.

The complimentary breakfast is simple but perfectly good - especially the ciambellone - with a selection of breads, pastries, cheeses, hams, yoghurts, fruit, cereals and hot and cold drinks.

I expecially like having breakfast outdoors on the terrace under the canopies - a lovely way to start the day.

The staff is also excellent - very friendly, remembered our names, and booked a car for us for our return journey to the airport. At only 5 euros more than a standard taxi, it was nice to have a lovely air-conditioned mercedes to give us a relaxing return journey - I would definitely recommend you take up this service.

The hotel is very reasonably priced at approx £60-70 per night (particularly when you consider that it includes breakfast) so I would totally recommend this hotel to everyone - I am delighted with it and will definitely return.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

The first day we got there they had overbooked so they shuttled us to another one of their higher star hotels. While we waited for the shuttle they treated us to drinks and free internet. After one night, we came back to the Hotel Diplomatic. Since we had went to the other hotel for our first night, they upgraded our room which was very large and nice. We walked everywhere from this hotel...great, safe location! The staff was very nice as well.
The air conditioning could have been better and the bed was hard.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

This is a basic, no frills hotel. The location is good for walking to the Rome highlights, however a little difficult to initially get to as it is likely too far a walk from the Termini train station. A taxi from the Termini will rob you blind. Take a city bus for 1 EU from the train station or maybe use a shuttle from the Rome airport. The rooms and ensuite are fine, the included continental breakfast is good (tea, coffee, fruit juice, yougurt, toast, jam, pastries, canned fruit). On the downside, there is no air conditioning in the rooms and no internet available. Good value for the money at a relatively central location.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

My wife planned this trip so I am writing the reviews ;-) The hotel was nothing special but I mean it in a good way. It was close to the centre but not loud, the rooms were small but clean, the price was acceptable. Iwould tell my friends to stay here if they are not looking for the ultimate romantic weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

This was my fourth stay at Hotel Diplomatic, and it was just as good as the first. On my first trip to Rome back in 1997, while walking through the airport on my arrival, a guy gave me a piece of paper as I walked past him and said, "If you need a good hotel try this one". Well, I put the paper in my pocket and kept walking. When I got to the hotel that I was staying in, (Holiday Inn), I was very disappointed and after one night there I decided to try another hotel. So I found the hotel flyer that the guy at the airport had given me and called Hotel Diplomatic. The price was way less than I was paying at the Holiday Inn, so I decided to give it a try. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I fell in love with the hotel due to the location and how convenient it was to everything, not to mention the price. The rooms are a nice size for Europe, even though the bathrooms are a little on the small side. So here I am twelve years later and still enjoying Hotel Diplomatic's quaint coziness. The breakfast is always very good also. As always I still recomend this nice little hotel for great value and comfort in Rome. I sure am glad I didn't just throw that flyer in the trash at the airport.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

We were a bit worried when we saw the entrance which is very small and unassuming, but the rooms were just great. Very tasteful and elegant old world decor and lovely bathrooms. The breakfast too was super and the service staff so friendly at all times. The location saved us a bunch on transport as we could walk to almost every good tourist spot in Rome...The Piazza di Popolo, Il Vittoriale, la Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Navona, Il Vaticano & San Pietro, The Pantheon and the Tiber river which is just a 100 meters down from the hotel. Piazza Cavour where the hotel is located houses the Supreme Court..a beautiful building and has a huge bus station right there...Frankly the hotel is close to restaurants, banks shopping...you name it. So we shall definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

For the price we paid this Hotel is pretty near spot on.

Clean large room with nice carpets and drapes, very large comfortable bed and a full sized bath. (room 405) Room is on the back of the hotel so dark only having one window in the seperate sitting area.

Location, you can walk anywhere withing 20 minutes including the Collesuem and San Giovanni.

Excellent hotel and great value.

Will definately stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Diplomatic? Share your experiences!