“Clean and friendly with a great location” 5 of 5 stars

You added Best Western Ambra Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Best Western Ambra Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Principe Amedeo 257, 00185 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #557 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
“Clean and friendly with a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Convenient location, friendly and hospitalable staff, spotless rooms with every amenity that I needed. The local market nearby is fascinating and although I was in Rome on business, the nearby transport links made it easy to access all the historic areas. The Wifi was quick and easy to access.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

We were allocated their new refurbished room which was comfortable and lush. The staff were great and we appreciated the welcome drink and the breakfast.
The neighbourhood was interesting but not uncomfortable as other reviews make out but we're not scared or prejudiced. I think they are priced reasonably considering.
The food market just across the street was amazing.
It's by the metro station so getting everywhere was easy. Only 5 mins to the main train station so that's def a bonus.
I'd recommend

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights at the beginning of September, 2014. The hotel is inside the Aurelian walls of Rome so still inside the area with most of the "tourist" historical sites... but it is a bit west from many of the more popular places.
For me, this was a perfect area... walking distance to the train station (only about 5 mins to get inside the train stations south-west entrance... 10 mins to walk to the main entrance); and only about 1 minute to the entrance to one of the subway lines.
The area that the Hotel is in is one that is not the most affluent in the city, by any means, and I would not have wanted my wife walking alone at night... but I expected this from a large city like Rome.
The first hotel night was not the best for us, as the AC in the room did not work well... I had originally thought I was going to be very unhappy with the hotel because of this, but once I visited the front desk the next morning, we had someone in our room looking at it in minutes, and after no change to the situation, they gave us another room. Being "cold-blooded" Canadian, a cool room is very welcome!
Using a "North American" view of the room, it was what I would consider basic. The bathrooms are all very "unique" in that they are all a bit different... the tub/shower didnt have a full door... but rather a "half door" that would close a bit... but the floor still ended up wet after a shower. I have had this in north american hotels, but the relatively small tub was more problematic. Not a big deal... just used a towel on the floor.
Rooms include a safe for passports, etc. Not "Fort Knox" but functional, included and available.
Breakfast was included and the food was quite nice. Lots of fruit, cheese, and even a small hot-bar with eggs, meat, etc. The coffee machines (although automatic) did a good job getting my caffeine levels to where I needed in the morning.

Other meals in the hotel were basic... but only ate there once after a long day... Rome has lots of great restaurants and the front desk gave me a few great recommendations... my wife and I ate some very good "tourist" meals at some nice, small restaurants... a little off the tourist areas simply made for better food, and more affordable service!

Tips: (1) Taxi drivers will not know where this hotel is, so have the address and a map on hand if you can... the hotel is on a 1-way street and it is a bit of a maze for the taxi to be able to drop you off at the front door. Flat rate from FCO airport of about €50... but make sure the Taxi is a REAL taxi... lots of official "looking" taxi vans around... but they change nearly as much and you get a painful 2 hour drive with strangers to their hotels before getting to your own!

(2) Purchase bottles of water at the small international store next to the hotel. Purchased 6 x 2L of water for €3... when 500mL of water was €3 at the tourist areas.... refill your own bottles! Of course, Rome water is quite good so you can just drink tap water if you want and say a few euro!

(3) Use the subway to get you to where you want to go. Sure, Rome is a walkable city but the heat and the long days will take a toll. The subway is pretty easy to understand... consider a multi-day pass for convenience or just use single-use tickets for (I believe) €1.50 per 1-way trip.

Room Tip: After reading other reviews, I did ask for a big bathroom and it worked out for me!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff were mildly pleasant at best, the room was "fine", and the location/neighborhood awful. I would not walk on those sidewalks at night; we had to get a cab to a restaurant. There is graffiti all over buildings in the vicinity. Stay somewhere else in Rome!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Stillwater, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

We wanted A hotel close to Termini station so we decided on this one. The hotel is in a sketchy part of town, although I didn't feel completely unsafe. The hotel is pretty small, with not many amenities. You will not find a fitness room, and the business center has one computer with a complicated sign in process and no printer. The bed felt like sleeping on plywood with a half-inch foam pad, but otherwise, the room was well-appointed and clean. The desk clerk was slightly aloof but did provide service and offered a map to local sites while we waited for our room (we arrived early). The hotel has a restaurant, but there are many restaurants just a few blocks north of the hotel.

I think if I had it to do all over again, I would stay near the airport and just take the train or shuttle in to Termini for sight seeing.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

As everyone says this hotel is in a bad area. I'm going to elaborate on what that means. The shops around the hotel sell cheep nasty stuff. The kind of stuff that makes the one pound shop look really good. As a tourist you would never consider using any of the "restaurants", "cafes" or shops near the hotel. Being near the train station is useless as you are not going to use the train at all. It would not be unfair at all to say that the area is almost a slum but this is really a bigger problem with Roam over all, than with the hotel. Other than that the hotel is fine but on holiday the above is pretty important. Roam as a whole is covered in graffiti and as a whole the tourist facilities for all of Roam are poor. Roam is strewn with professional beggars (The general belief seems to be that the majority are in fact very wealthy and are abusing roams tourism). The city is permanently overrun with tourists but this has meant that no real effort has ever been needed to cater for tourists to much extent other than the absolute minimum, as they will come regardless. Although I have deviated from the hotel somewhat, it is all part of the same thing. Despite Roam's slum qualities it's still absolutely fascinating and the Vatican is a whole other story.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
SweetTpie10s
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

Traveler from NY and stayed here with my mother and sister in late September.

I had read many of the reviews before hand and knew what to expect. The location was easy to get to from the train station and was definitely in a seedy area. The rooms were fairly basic although the beds must have been very comfortable as I slept with no problem. The room was clean but needed some upgrading. Hotels are so expensive in Rome that I think we did well for the price of this hotel and knew what we were getting into.
the staff was very friendly and accommodating!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Best Western Ambra Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!