“Good sized rooms and great service :)” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Tiberio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Lattanzio 51, 00136 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #386 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Good sized rooms and great service :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was very pleased with this hotel and staying here made it a very enjoyable trip. I booked after reading reviews on trip advisor and though I agree the location isn't in the center of Rome, me and my sister had very little problems getting around (apart from the bus strike on the 24th - but to be honest that was out of anybody's control). I must add though, that the manager of the hotel was very kind enough to drop us near the vatican on this day to stop us hanging around for the bus :)

Transport is relatively cheap (well in comparison to the tube in London) and for 16 or so euros you can get a pass that is valid for three days - with the location of the hotel this came in very handy as most sites are just a couple stops away on the metro.
I'd say it is more of a 20-25 minute walk to the Vatican, which is not bad, but with all the walking you do in the museums (if you plan to visit them) and in the Basilica, it's probably worth booking the shuttle from the hotel and wearing comfortable shoes!

The room itself was very nice, a decent size and the hotel staff were very hospitable. We booked through lowcostholidays.com, so all in all a very affordable. Though initially there was an issue where we could not check in, this was all sorted very soon afterwards.

There are very little downsides to point out, but perhaps one would be the breakfast. Though there was a large selection of cold meals, I am partial to a hot breakfast egg/beans (though this is purely just my preference), I'm assuming this is not traditional breakfast in Rome so one must just do as the Romans do. Secondly, the wifi connection was a bit temperamental, it worked best in the lobby - but again if you're going for a holiday you probably don't want your emails or messages to be going off incessantly. I also had an argument with a waiter over an apple juice (petty I know), but when I told him it was not the drink I requested he was very abrupt and insisted it was not his problem and he had already opened it, I was less than impressed.

However, all in all it was a nice hotel and I would recommend to others eager to visit Rome. *Tip - it may be easier to take a cab from the airport to the hotel on arrival, I ventured to take the train but this proved quite complicated for someone who had never visited Italy before.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Pozzuoli, Campania, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Large rooms and a spacious lobby made this hotel perfect for our toddler to run around and take a break. The hotel was within walking distance from the Vatican as well as from the easy to use subway to get around rome. A cab ride from Venice Palace cost only 15 E. The staff was friendly and helpful. Remeber that you have to reserve the free shuttle!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Not exactly located near the city centre, however an adventurous soul like me could easily walk around the entire neighbourhood. I like the fact that there is a nearby Cold Storage supermart, and a couple of cafes and shops around.

The hotel staff were pretty helpful, especially when I needed to exchange for more Euros and not everywhere accepts Singapore Dollars. Even giving me directions to the nearest cash machine which may accept certain credit cards.

The hotel room was pretty alright, kind of old-looking. But I did experienced electric trips the two nights my friend and I stayed there. The first night was not too bad with just 1-2 times of tripping and a short moment of blackout. The second night the electric power trip more than 3 times.

Breakfast-wise, there was not much of a good selection. Hence I just had coffee and some pastries (which tasted average). Overall, I doubt I would stay in the hotel if I were to visit Rome again as much as I like to explore, being around a neighbourhood area just was not my idea of a hotel environment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Angelo C, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Tiberio, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for staying at the Grand Hotel Tiberio and for your review.
We truly appreciate your feedback and we look forward for your next Stay with us.
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have frequently visited Rome, staying in a range of hotels from luxury to budget. This trip was a family trip bringing my mum and boyfriends mum and her friend to Rome for a day, driving from Naples. I chose this hotel for its great rate, but was slightly worried it was not in the centre of town.
However I needn't have worried. Although the hotel was in a residential area, but it was only 5/10 mins taxi from everywhere I wanted to go. There are regular shuttles in the morning into town, but not in the afternoon, which wasn't a problem for us. There is only one shuttle in the evening, but a taxi was only 15 euro.
The free, safe parking was a bonus.
Upon check in, I had mistakenly booked two double bedrooms, but the receptionist was very polite and quick to switch them to twin rooms.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful and fresh.
Lunch was very nice and the service was outstanding. Especially from Dominique and Raphael, who took the time to speak to my party and made them feel very special. All the ladies were impressed with the service. So much so we ate at the restaurant again before departing, good value for rome with great food and service once again. A nice treat after being ripped off everywhere in rome all day.
The rooms are basic, but very clean. Not a luxury hotel, but a very reasonably priced one and very friendly indeed. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I selected this hotel mainly for its price, its ratings, and its (apparent) proximity to the Vatican. We arrived via the Appiano Proba Petronia station. Leaving the station we went right on Via Appiano and then right again onto Via Lattanzio. The hotel seems to be in a mostly residential area. It has a decidedly non-touristy feel, meaning mostly there aren't a ton of restaurants in the area, or attractions of any kind really.

You can walk south to the Cipro metro station to get into the main city. The walk is about 15 minutes at a moderate pace. If you want to walk to the Vatican I'd budget for about 20-30 minutes of not terrible difficult walking. If you want to eat in the area, do your homework. We mostly settled for eating in the center of the city, and ate at the restaurant once. It was actually decently priced and decently tasty food. Room service adds a 5 euro convenience charge of course.

The hotel itself is quite nice and feels large and upscale compared to your average Euro hotel. The staff is helpful and speaks good English. The lobby is very large and has a lot of seating. We were able to get into our room at about noon which was awesome.

The rooms themselves are large with a nice sized bed, although a little hard. The bathroom was large as well. There is air conditioning, but we had a hard time getting it to work or figure out if it was on heat or cooling. We also found out that they turn it off at 10pm every night and then back on at some point in the morning. Not sure what the reason for that is (assume to save power?), but you may need to open the window for true cooling.

The hotel features free and unsecured wifi, which is both a nice thing and a worrying thing. I prefer there be some type of password encryption, so be aware of that.

The hotel offers a lot of transportation options, and most likely they get a cut of some of it. One nice feature is a free shuttle to the city center that departs at various times during the morning usually. However the shuttle only seats 8 people and must be reserved ahead of time. Every single trip was sold out during our stay, so we were never able to use it. The hotel will attempt to sell you an expensive ride to the airport. We opted to take the 8 euro train ride from Appiano. The first train left around 6:30 AM and takes a little over an hour to get into FCO.

Overall it's difficult to say whether or not i'd stay here again. The hotel is very nice and the rate wasn't too bad considering the time of year and the quality of the hotel. The location isn't terrible, but it also isn't very close to the main attractions. However, if you are going to stay in the heart of things, it will get expensive quickly.

One last thing, the hotel features a free continental breakfast from 7-10:30 am. We had this once, and it was really a great breakfast, one of the best and highest quality I have ever had, especially for a European hotel. I was impressed with the selection and quality of the food offered.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Angelo C, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Tiberio, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for commenting on your recent visit with us.
About the internet, to make easy and fast for our Guests we have it FREE and without password that sometimes with smarphones is impossible to type in ..., not having a password doesn't mean is not safe, that depends on the security of your device not of the network.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I came here for the first time ever to the hotel and Rome and was really nice I loved both the prices were a little steep but I'm from the north of England it's quite cheap for most stuff here
The hotel was nice and the staff really helpful they helped with buses and transport around Rome food in the hotel was really nice we decided to eat here more than once because it was so good
Would recommend to anyone

• Stayed April 2013
Toronto Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although I was originally assured by Air Canada, that this hotel was about a mile from The Vatican, and a great choice for ease in access, the hotel's shuttle was a great help when we realized the HUGE exaggeration by Air Canada on their distance location. The hotel was very clean and breakfast was very thorough with cereals, juices, eggs, bacon, sausages, breads and muffins and fresh fruit and cheeses. A great selection for an included breakfast from my experience and all in buffet style. No indoor swimming pool and the one outdoors was not yet open which frustrated my 11 yr old grandson. Hotel staff were more than helpful and I was using a walker which made everything a little more challenging, but every person we encountered assisted with a smile, even before being approached. Sleeping was a little difficult in the room we were in as we could hear a high pitched whining motor sound on and off each night. Because we were only there for 2 nights, we didn't worry about complaining. We did find the room quite warm which is why we opened our window, bringing in the night noise. In speaking with another hotel guest, we were warned about the hot rooms. I don't think this is a regular problem, but a common dilemma of the spring season where everyday can be different temps. Not great Internet but not a problem for us. Hotel is not an easy commute to Rome city centre.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor looking out the rear - very poor view, but we got an amazing deal on the...