“Good 4 star hotel with excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kolbe Hotel Rome

Save Saved
You added Kolbe Hotel Rome to your Saves list
Kolbe Hotel Rome
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Teodoro, 48, 00186 Rome, Italy (Ripa / Aventino)   |
Ranked #234 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Good 4 star hotel with excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Hotel is situated at the Forum. Open your curtains and there it is. There is also a pleasant garden to have a drink in and food is fresh and of good quality, portions are small though. Hotel staff are very nice and make you feel welcome. You can walk to the Colosseum in 15 minutes and there is plenty to see on the way. The rooms are of a good size and the bathrooms are new and clean. Wifi free and works well. The air conditioning does work, so beware, bring your PJs! The breakfast is not great, coffee was the worst we had in Rome. We went out to numerous cafes after the first morning. Great hotel for a few nights, good food, great staff, fantastic location and reasonable rate. Would recommend and would go,back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

a superbe view with amazing friendly staff

We have just come back from a four night stay at the Kolbe Hotel in Rome. It is a truely lovely hotel, right in the real historical center , so a really fantasic location. From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left, the staff (all of them) were really polite & friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. We stayed 4 nights in room 220, which was very quiet. It was a superior Deluxe room, with a view of the hotel Garden even from the bathroom. It was a nice big room with a comfortable sofa with a double bathtub Jacuzzi, where we really relaxed. We slept really well in this room, as it was very quiet & dark with the blinds etc shut. On the Monday It was my birthday, we had our dinner in the hotel restaurant, they surprised us offering us a bottle of italian sparkling wine with a card with best wishes for my birthday. It was a great personalized serice. We will be going back to Rome next year for my birhday & we will be more than happy to stay at the Kolbe Hotel Rome again. We will suggest this excellent 4 star hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: room with garden view are very quite
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

many hotels make promotion saying that they are located in the city center but no other hotel can be more central located than the Kolbe Hotel Rome. This hotel is face to face to the Palatine, the origin of antique Rome. His location is unique, there is no other building between the kolbe hotel and the Palatine hill.
According to Roman mythology, the Palatine Hill was the location of the cave, known as the Lupercal, where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf that kept them alive.
Rome has his orign on the Palatine.
Our Suite was with Palatine view, incredible emotion every morning and day looking at this spectacular view. It was an excellent accommodation with a Jacuzzi bath tub. The location is not all what this hotel offers to his clients, There is a garden where we always had our drinks enjoying the quite atmophere. The staff is good organized and all are very friendly. We also had dinner at the hotel restaurant where we could test the typical italian cuisine , fresh product in a simple way with a good presentation. What more .... WI.FI connection free of charge and a complimentary welcome drink on our arrival day by the hotel manager.We can say to our friends that they can go to this hotel if they want to have the best location and a good service in a four star hotel .

Room Tip: room with garden view or room with Palatine hill view , all are good
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We got shuffled to this hotel when the one we booked on Booking.com informed us that they did not receive our reservation but the charges had gone through. We were not happy about this but whatever. Located on a quiet street near the Bocca della Verita, you can drive up and unload your luggage. But who really wants to drive in Rome, its nerve-wracking. There is nothing special in the design of this hotel; it's your typical anonymous modern type thing, somewhat large though it does not seem that way from the outside. The rooms we had were a double decker type, the bed on a loft in a space with an old fashioned brick vaulted ceiling. It had a pleasant view out onto the spacious medieval garden. We went out that night and I left my computer open on my desk. When we return very late, my computer was gone. We immediately called the desk who came up and we checked to see if the door had been locked or whatever, and found that someone had taken a tool and (easily) popped it open. All the doors here are heavy wooden doors with new modern hardware....functioning w. a key card. As we did this, several other people arrived back to their rooms to discover that they devices had also been stolen! Upshot: there are NO security cameras here! and obviously security is bad...how did the thieves know how to access in and out of the hotel?? they did not in some way already know this? I was livid that the only security cameras in this 5 star hotel are on the elevator! how stupid and irresponsible. I really wonder how often this happens.
SO, the night manager says of Signora our insurance will cover your computer:
I go and make a "denuncia" (statement signed by me that says, on the night of...blah blah etc") they give me statement signed that says they will pay, HOWEVER this was already midnight and I had to leave early the next morning for the US. The next day they get back to me to say
THAT I MUST GO TO THE CARABINIERI !!! to make a declaration, that is, if I want to get riembursed. First question: why did the manager not tell me that? they knew I had to leave early and the same manager was there in the morning. Second is, you have a 5 star hotel, with NO security and you are not riembursing me? because I surely can't fly back to Rome to make this declaration....in short, this hotel should be paying for my new computer whether its OUT OF THEIR INSURANCE OR NOT! Don't stay here, period.

Room Tip: garden view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Having read the reviews before travelling I was really excited about staying here,the position is fabulous and the garden is really unusual in Rome! However,i was disappointed! First impressions are a bit underwheming,the reception and staff were ok,it is a similar feel to a travel lodge and the reception staff were ok not over friendly.
The first night I was put right near the lift so woken up at 7 with everyone walking by,so I asked to be moved away from the lift,this was not a problem and was moved to room 240 overlooking the garden which was a beautiful view! For some reason my room smelt damp but I certainly didn't want to move again or to appear grumpy! My shower didn't work and when I told them it was repaired instantly.also when I requested an iron it was straight away so the service was really good.taxis were booked and called for immediately!
I can't comment on the food because we always ate out ! As I said the location is amazing but the comfort and design is sadly lacking,unfortunately the weather was poor so we spent a lot more time in the hotel which was a shame because it's very basic,I would say more like a 3 star,however if you are using it just as a base it's probably ok! There doesn't seem to be any heart or warmth here which is a shame because it could and should be amazing.unlikely I will be back.

Room Tip: If you can get a superior room or one facing the garden
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Pros- location, central to most things
Clean rooms as you would expect from a standard 4 star

Cons- breakfast - not great
No WiFi signal in rooms
Noisy rooms-hotel adjacent to a small through road
Reception staff not very helpful when there is an issue I.e Internet access

Would I come here again? Probably not,but I would stay in the area. I certainly would not pay over the odds to stay here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tirana, Albania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Impatiently to go and visit Rome and choosing Kolbe hotel it was a direct communication with the reception after a good surfing at TripAdvisor. As we arrived things has been not in the agreement we fixed. The room was up to the forth floor. What a floor?! Just with 2 rooms a side and all windows covers with iron protection. So first the quality of the room was so low.
The rest raised a little bit up our expectation. Stuff at the restaurant in middle level and not that much interested for the clients. Probably we have been in the busiest time at the days of New Year Eve. Food (we used only breakfast) as buffet again in the middle level. What to say if after 4-5 days it's not coming any special memories...
Than way "average"?
1. Location in a very attractive place just behind the Roman Forum, by walk in 10 minutes you reach the Victoria square.
2. Reception in a good level, helpful and especially very flexible with taxi arrangement.
3. Lobby a very comfortable place with WiFi free access for clients of the hotel.
4. Back side of the restaurant and bar a garden with plenty lemon and orange tree.

Pity with such a location and great garden such a hotel should be placed definitively at the higher place hotel ranking in Rome.
Again at this hotel? With a better room arrangement yes!!

Room Tip: definitively not the 4th floor!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kolbe Hotel Rome? Share your experiences!