We decided to stay here after some very good trip adviser reviews, but I'm afraid I just don't agree with them, at £165 per night 'off season' I was expecting something better than what we found. We had a queen sized room on the ground floor over-looking the garden. The room was basic and felt fairly empty. The TV only had BBC world news on it, and whilst I know no one goes on holiday to watch TV - it's nice to be able to chill out at the end of a long day of sight seeing. My biggest disappointment was with the Jacuzzi bath/shower. It was a cramped shower cubical with jets of water coming out of it. I'm not a big lad but when I turned in the shower it would hit the hot/cold tap and bang you were woken up very quickly! I guess the hotel could have been clearer on what it means by a shower/jacuzzi - in my mind thats a jacuzzi bath with a shower in it, again after a long day of walking a bath is exactly what you'll need. The service was pretty poor at times, some real attitudes especially at reception.
So on to the positives;
1) You can't get more central - It's right outside the Roman forum and a stones through to Circo Maximo. It's a 15 minute walk to the nearest Metro and 5 to the bus stop (Although the transport system is truly awful! No bus stop has a time table so we often waited up to an hour for something to turn up, no logic or structure - my advice is save time & walk - The Metro is best, however be prepared for strikes.
2) It's a quiet hotel - unless you go for the cheaper room which faces the cobble road, very well used street at night so I would imagine not so quiet.
3) It's clean, room was mopped daily - The cleaners are all really lovely and friendly.
4) The breakfast was very good - American breakfast - waiting staff also friendly.
5) The beds were firm - plus point in my books
6) 24hr manned reception desk.
So not a bad stay over all - i've marked it as average, and as strange as this may sound I would recommend people to go for the right price (£80 - £120 per night), but for me it boiled down to feeling a little short changed. I've stayed in much nicer places for far less money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Kolbe Hotel Rome, where the Ancient and Modern blend to create a new form of hospitality. The Kolbe Hotel Rome will host you in a setting with all the flavour and fascination of history, but with the service and style of the most modern and prestigious accommodation. This unique four star hotel is set in a magnificent 17th century building, which was a former Franciscan convent, and is strategically located in front of the Roman Forum, very close to the Colosseum and just a nice and comfortable walk to the Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain and Navona Square as well as to the main shoppings streets such as Via Condotti and Via Frattina. It also offers a very quick and easy connection to the Vatican and every area of the city. Trastevere, the charming medieval district with restaurants, bars and cafes is within walking distance. The hotel has 72 rooms, all recently renovated and fully equipped with Wi-Fi, flat screen televisions and air-conditioning, most of which face the Roman Forum or the enchanting internal garden. The indoor spaces at the "Al Palatino "Garden Restaurant also reflect our efforts to achieve a perfect blend between past and present, the distinctive feature of the Kolbe Hotel Rome. Moreover the Hotel bar, lobby and garden will be a place of refuge to wind down at the end of the day, sipping a drink or just relaxing to the soft music and lighting, especially designed for your maximum comfort and serenity. The whole staff is glad to welcome you to the Kolbe Hotel Rome! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Kolbe Hotel Rome reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Kolbe Rome