We decided to stay here after some very good trip adviser reviews, but I'm afraid I just don't agree with them, at £165 per night 'off season' I was expecting something better than what we found. We had a queen sized room on the ground floor over-looking the garden. The room was basic and felt fairly empty. The TV only had BBC world news on it, and whilst I know no one goes on holiday to watch TV - it's nice to be able to chill out at the end of a long day of sight seeing. My biggest disappointment was with the Jacuzzi bath/shower. It was a cramped shower cubical with jets of water coming out of it. I'm not a big lad but when I turned in the shower it would hit the hot/cold tap and bang you were woken up very quickly! I guess the hotel could have been clearer on what it means by a shower/jacuzzi - in my mind thats a jacuzzi bath with a shower in it, again after a long day of walking a bath is exactly what you'll need. The service was pretty poor at times, some real attitudes especially at reception.
So on to the positives;
1) You can't get more central - It's right outside the Roman forum and a stones through to Circo Maximo. It's a 15 minute walk to the nearest Metro and 5 to the bus stop (Although the transport system is truly awful! No bus stop has a time table so we often waited up to an hour for something to turn up, no logic or structure - my advice is save time & walk - The Metro is best, however be prepared for strikes.
2) It's a quiet hotel - unless you go for the cheaper room which faces the cobble road, very well used street at night so I would imagine not so quiet.
3) It's clean, room was mopped daily - The cleaners are all really lovely and friendly.
4) The breakfast was very good - American breakfast - waiting staff also friendly.
5) The beds were firm - plus point in my books
6) 24hr manned reception desk.
So not a bad stay over all - i've marked it as average, and as strange as this may sound I would recommend people to go for the right price (£80 - £120 per night), but for me it boiled down to feeling a little short changed. I've stayed in much nicer places for far less money.