“Great family hotel, great location, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kolbe Hotel Rome

Save Saved
You added Kolbe Hotel Rome to your Saves list
Kolbe Hotel Rome
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via San Teodoro, 48, 00186 Rome, Italy (Ripa / Aventino)   |
Ranked #220 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
London
“Great family hotel, great location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this hotel as part of a three night surprise birthday trip for my wife and it could not have been better. The exterior of the hotel looks good, the lobby classy and the reception staff were excellent. Every question we had was answered professionally, with a smile.

Our family room was on split levels, meaning my two children slept upstairs and my wife and I downstairs -- when we initially saw the double sofa bed we had to sleep in, we were slightly concerned but the mattress, sheets and pillows were of a good quality: combined with miles of walking each day, every night we had a comfortable sleep. The kids enjoyed having their own area. The views onto the immaculately kept rear garden was delightful; only marginally spoiled on the second day by a palm tree outside our window being cut down with chainsaws at 7.30 in the morning!

The location is hard to surpass, being as it is right next to the Roman Forum, just 10-15 minutes from the charming Trastevere restaurant area, 15 minutes pleasant walk from the Colosseum, a 25 minute walk from the Pantheon, 30 from the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. A 10 minute walk to the Circus Maximus Metro station got us to the Vatican in about 30 minutes.

The included breakfast was very good and the waiting staff attentive and pleasant. Plenty of fresh food: pastries, fruit, cereals, toast, meats and cheeses.

When we checked out, they took care of our luggage for eight hours and happily called us a taxi to take us to the airport.

Recommended as long as you are happy to walk everywhere (and, in Rome, you really should)

Room Tip: Garden views are quiet and get the sun in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

748 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights recently. It is such an excellent location. Particularly if you want to see historic Rome. It is across (literally) from the Forum Romanum, around the corner from the Colosseum, right by the old palace (Palentine), beside the old Circus Maximus and across from the Aventine hill. San Clemente (excellent and maintained by the Dominicans now) and San Giovanni in Laterno are a short walk away (San Giovanni is a little longer but worth the walk).
A 15-20min quick walk to areas closer to the Vatican. Best to get a cab or underground (which is surprisingly easy to get around in for a tourist). Hotel is a good standard, clean, friendly and attentive staff. I would certainly stay here again - and will. When you get a solid hotel in Rome you remember it! Thanks to all the staff... loved the welcome glass of prosecco and the restaurant recommendation around the corner was spot on!
I would say good for couples (we got engaged!) but friends, families etc. should love the place and location.

Room Tip: If you like historic Rome then this is the place for you!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a nice old building, stylishly converted and retaining the high ceilings and a lot of charm. Very well placed for a city break, with many sights within a short walk. Well worth a visit to the church of San Giorgio, whose windows peek onto the corner of the courtyard at grass level.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We moved here from a hotel further out from the centre, and were pleasantly surprised with the roo and the location. We had a junior suite which overlooked the looked out onto the Roman Forum. You can't really get closer to the centre of Rome. From here you can walk everywhere. In the evenings I would recommend a short walk to trastevere for bars and restaurants that the Romans use.
The room was clean and modern, but black mark for the half full bottle of beer in the fridge on our arrival.
Breakfast was about the usual offering for a European hotel.
The bar staff were attentive and friendly.
Ovaerall this was a good hotel that neither failed or excelled. The sights of Rome provided all we would want from the trip and I would recommend the Kolbe as a comfortable hotel in an ideal position.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Kolbe Hotel is located opposite the Forum. It's slightly out of the way, and I was a bit alarmed when our taxi pulled up outside, but the the reception areas are well designed and very nice. It's pretty central for the Forum and Colosseum. The staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and polite. I was a bit disappointed in our rooms (we booked two as I was travelling with my son) as they were fairly spartan. However they were spotlessly clean and the bathrooms were gorgeous.

When I was shown to my room, I sat down on the bed for a moment and was shocked to find it absolutely rock-like. The mattress was foam and had no give to it at all. My son had the same type of bed in his room. The beds were so uncomfortable both of us found it nearly impossible to sleep. Not only that but my air conditioning control did not work properly. Despite adjusting it regularly I was cold all night.

The Jacuzzi shower in both bathrooms did not work at all, but the normal showers did and they were good. However the shower cabinets are very small!

The breakfast buffet is very good, and the staff in the bar are very friendly. The hotel has a nice atmosphere.

I cannot understand why such a lovely hotel would have such appalling beds. We were exhausted for most of our trip. I think the Kolbe Hotel tries very hard and their staff are wonderful but the rooms really do disappoint, especially in terms of sleep quality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dalia B, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Kolbe Hotel Rome, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Reviwer,

with regard to your review, we are happy to learn that you have appreciated your stay in our hotel and that you have found it suitable to visit the most important sites of Ancient Rome, namely the Fora and the Colosseum.
We would also like to thank you for having appreciated our personnel, their professionalism and kindness. We do our best to make our clients feel at ease and cared for.

We apologise for not having slept well. Our beds have high quality wooden slats and mattresses, ensuring an excellent sleep. All our guests have always appreciated them and nobody ever complained. But of course we respect your point of view. Usually, in other hotels
customers complain about soft and worn out mattresses, on the contrary we guarantee new and first quality material. Anyway, we will take your suggestion iinto account to improve our services and to guarantee a better stay.

As to the hydro shower, we checked your room and indeed the knob to select the hydro was quite hard to turn and needed some maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenient. In the house we do have an engineer in charge of the maintenance, so any problem should be immediately notified in order to deal with it straightforward and make your stay perfect.

Thank you for having posted a review on our hotel homepage and we hope to host you once again in our hotel.

Kindest Regards.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Kolbe is an oasis in Rome. In the heart of the ancient Roman district set on a quiet cobbled street with a beautiful courtyard garden. The hotel is modern, quite, luxurious and a great place to come back to after a day of sight seeing - especially for a drink on the terrace. The staff were genuinely friendly and accommodating. The room was clean, stylish and comfortable. Food and cocktails were all excellent. I'd recommend it and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden, alternatively, the other side of the hotel overlooks the Pala...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

The Hotels Location is Perfect...you stay in the direct historical City Centre of Rome...Good for all your Daily aktivities. I Booked a room with view (ask for this with your Reservation) and had a Room on the Second floor with a spektakular view on the Ruins of the famous Palatine Hill! There is only a few of Traffic on the Road but this fantastic view is absolutey worth.whenever again are you going to sleep so near the world famous excavations? The room is modern and clean...on my Arrival I had a surprise present of some chocolates and a Rose on my bed..nice welcome from the Hotel. After a Long das Out walking a Lot I was happy having Dinner in the Restaurant in the beautiful Garden.Taste their Barbecue!...thanks to all of you for my Short but Very pleasant stay in your Hotel.Hope to come back again soon and I will recommend this nice jewel of Hotel to my Friends.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Kolbe Hotel Rome? Share your experiences!