“Jekyll and Hyde - hotel versus annexe” 4 of 5 stars

Via del Biscione, 6, 00186 Rome, Italy   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Brisbane, Australia
“Jekyll and Hyde - hotel versus annexe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

As others have noted the hotel has 2 sets of accommodation: the hotel and an annex of apartments around the corner. Both are excellently located. I will post the hotel map (I find all mobile phone maps don't give good overviews).

Annex - we were first located there. One bed apartment with kitchen and living room etc. it was too big for us and frankly I didn't think it was well maintained. The walls were grubby, 2 mirrored wardrobe doors were cracked, and the decor was caught somewhere between 1970s and 1980s renovation. Shower water pressure was shocking. Remember these are OLD buildings. These are ideal for families.

I requested a move to the hotel. This was done promptly and efficiently. Though I think they were puzzled as to why we wanted a smaller room.

Hotel: Room 501 - fantastic. Romantic Italianate room - gilded mirror, wallpapered, satiny bedspread, ornate light fittings etc. toiletries were better. Shower better. Views over the city and rooftops. Balcony. One floor under rooftop terrace (which is special). Exactly what we wanted.

Staff ARE warm and welcoming. Concierge is effusive - we do things on our own but if I wanted someone to organize my activities I would have def used V's service.

My stars reflect annex combo with hotel. Free wi-fi. Def take their advice when it comes to food Buffetta 2 (sp?) was great (round the corner). Taxi fr train station e10 incl tip. 20 mins walk to Domus (must-visit) and Colosseum and Vatican City and Spanish steps and Trevi. 5 mins to Pantheon. Loads shopping nearby and plenty wine/coffee bars.

Highly recommend hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Severino, Manager at Hotel Campo De' Fiori, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
reading you review I find your title abit exagerated especially since you gave us a 4 point review! All of our guests present and future know we have two types of reservations, rooms in the hotel and apartments nearby the hotel (1 minute walk away). Our rooms may host up to 3 people while we always suggest to 3 people up to 5 people to reserve our apartments offering bigger size, more comfortable and always in the same area. They are also all newly renovated offering Free WiFi, Flat Led TV, Daily cleaning. You do state,
“Both are excellently located”, “it was too big for us”.
You then came back to the hotel referring that you would have preferred to stay in a room in the hotel,

“I requested a move to the hotel. This was done promptly and efficiently.”
As you quote yourself, we did move you immediately into the hotel being our major objective the happiness of all of our guests. You were given a “deluxe room” and not even a “standard room”!
Once moved into the room and at no extra cost, you state,
“fantastic. Romantic Italianate room - gilded mirror, wallpapered, satiny bedspread, ornate light fittings etc. toiletries were better. Shower better. Views over the city and rooftops. Balcony. One floor under rooftop terrace (which is special). Exactly what we wanted.” Once again at no extra cost!

Our staff is of primary importance to us and as you indicate,

“Staff ARE warm and welcoming.”

You also highlight all of the positive aspects,
“Free wi-fi. Def take their advice when it comes to food Buffetta 2 (sp?) was great (round the corner). Taxi fr train station e10 incl tip. 20 mins walk to Domus (must-visit) and Colosseum and Vatican City and Spanish steps and Trevi. 5 mins to Pantheon. Loads shopping nearby and plenty wine/coffee bars.”

You also do indicate,
“Highly recommend hotel.”
As I state at the beginning of my response, I do not understand your 4 point review and not having put a 5 point review since you were immediately pleased and received exactly what you desired at a no extra charge. Something that other hotels do not do at all! This is what should be voted and not something that you selected and wanted changed because you decided you wanted something else!
Best regards,
The Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our thanks to Valentina, Matteo, Marco and and all the staff at the front desk of this charming hotel. Truly, it is a gem! It's location is perfect and within walking distance of restaurants, shops and major sites. Our room was small (but not NYC tiny) and had a beautiful bathroom. The room also had a large flat screen TV, AC, hair dryer and a safe. Our room, and the hotel in general, was very clean. The breakfast is served in a very attractive room. It's buffet-style and includes a variety of breads, meats, cheeses, eggs, pastry and fresh fruit. The lovely woman who serves the coffee is friendly and always has a beautiful smile when she greets you.There is also a large terrace on the top floor with teriffic views. It's a great place to sip a glass of wine at sunset. Whatever our question or request, we were helped with enthusiasm. Recommendations and good advice were given with a smile. I had some trouble with my cell phone and everyone at the front desk tried to solve the problem for me. We were treated very well. This is a wonderful hotel and if I am ever lucky enough to return to Rome, my first call will be to book a room here again.

Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Great location within walking distance of the major sites. Clean room with a nice shower. Very close to a wide variety of restaurants. Spacious rooftop terrace with views of the San Pietro and Pantheon domes.

GREAT service from the front desk. They were exceptionally friendly. Let my phone in their hired car on the way to the airport, and they took care of returning it to me. Had it back in my hands 2 days later.

Decent breakfast (terrible cappuccino, though, but there are plenty of cheap options right out the door; have one on the Campo and watch the market come to life).

Tip: the gelato on the corner is awesome.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked this hotel a day or two ahead of time (benefits of off season) and were pleasantly surprised at the superb location and the excellent staff. At the moment of arrival, Matteo- the New Jerseyan turned Italian- greeted us with a smile. It was evident that he and his colleague enjoyed what they were doing as they were laughing and smiling (in fact, this seemed to be the case of every hotel concierge that we encountered over the next 4 days). Instantly, in the New Jersey- "let me give you the quick low-down style" a map of Rome was whipped out and the major attractions circled. He gave us excellent recommendations for tours and places to eat- and all of this happened in about 5 min. He further helped us book tickets for the Vatican and quickly asked if he could print out our Borghese tickets we had booked prior. He- nor anyone there- ever missed a beat. Superb staff.

Room was also clean, cute and beds were comfy with a nice down comforter. The ONLY complaint I have is that they cleaned the rooms with a vinegar spray or something- smelled kind of nasty for a few minutes in the afternoon. Didn't bother us much as we spent almost no time in the room until we slept and by then the smell had worn off.

Hotel is right at Campo de fiori markets around loads of Roman boutique shops (after exploring the "shopping district" which was reminiscent of every NYC/ LA shopping district, we ended up doing all of our at the cool artisan places just near the hotel).

Great hotel- if I return to Rome, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
“Great location! Superb staff!”

Your stay with us was during off season and yet you found us as always happy, smiling and available to suggest, explain, help with all that is needed to make ones stay in Rome an unforgettable experience! Infact, you accepted our suggestions for private tours permitting you to skip all long lines at the Vatican Museum as well as for the Roman Forum. The time saved you devoted it to other things to do being with us for a limited amount of time. For us, high, medium or low season, it’s always high season! As you state,
“He- nor anyone there- ever missed a beat. Superb staff.”
Our rooms are kept clean and are hygiene with vinegar this way there is no chemical in the bathroom if not a min. part. (ecological). Important is that all is clean, in order and hygiene. As indicated by you,
“Room was also clean, cute and beds were comfy with a nice down comforter”
Your title indicates,
“Great location!”
We are centrally located for site seeing, shopping, eating, drinking and whatever else one desires to do in such an important historical city such as the “Eternal City”.
Our location permits if one is tired after a long day of walking and site seeing to do some shopping having in the immediate vicinities all of the best shops that one can desire. High fashion as well as more moderate shops. You highlight,
“we ended up doing all of our (shopping) at the cool artisan places just near the hotel)”.
Concluding you still use previous words to explain your feelings and experiences with us,

“Great hotel- if I return to Rome, will definitely stay here again.”
Thanking you once again and it will definitely be our pleasure to host you once again if you ever decide to return to Rome!
Warmest regards,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Campo De Fiori for 4 nights in November and were overall very satisfied with the service and amenities they provide. I had originally booked an apartment through booking.com and received a phonecall from the hotel to advise that the apartment was not in the same location as the hotel, but instead a short walk away. I inquired as to whether the apartment had heating and was informed that it didn't! They advised that it would be best to cancel this booking and rebook directly through their website for the best available prices. I was so grateful and impressed that they went out of their way to phone me and explain exactly what I had booked, that I decided to go ahead and book a hotel room through the website instead, even though it was quite a bit pricier than the apartments.
The hotel is in a great location, very central to all the main attractions in Rome. The room was clean and beautifully decorated. There was a small balcony, though no view to speak of, as our room was not facing the square. However this didn't matter as the rooftop terrace had all the view you could possibly want! Perfect for watching the sunset over the rooftops of Rome.
The room price included breakfast which was a fairly average spread - coffee, tea, croissants, cheeses, cold cut meats, scrambled eggs etc - enough to energise you for a day of sight seeing.
The staff at the hotel were mostly courteous and informative, with two gentlemen in particular (who I unfortunately neglected to get their names) being very helpful with restaurant recommendations and locating services nearby the hotel.
Overall we really enjoyed out stay at Hotel Campo De' Fiori and would definitely stay here again if ever returning to Rome.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I made my original booking with booking.com, I then recieved a phonecall from the hotel, promising us an 'upgrade' to an appartment if we cancelled the booking through booking.com and re-booked directly through the hotel. "Great an upgrade!" Not so great. The appartment was fine, but in no way a part of the hotel. We had a child's bedcover. Very offputting, and not at all in keeping with the rest of the decor! On our second night we were left with no towels after the room was cleaned. We walked to the reception of the hotel and we asked for towels to be delivered to our appartment. They were delivered...in plasticbags and plonked in the bathroom!
The next morning at 0930 we were VERY rudely awoken by a man in our bedroom! A bald man who flicked on our light and loitered for at least thirty seconds before being shooed away by us. This was shocking! This was a member of staff, I presume?! At 0930, on a Sunday morning!! We recieved no apology for this. Finally, as we checked out on Monday morning the receptionist was very rude,and frosty. I had no idea whether or not she was finished dealing with me. It was insulting and odd. She was very nice when we booked in, of course.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Severino, Manager at Hotel Campo De' Fiori, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear guest,
reading you review I remained totally amazed by your accusations and statements since your review doesn’t correspond with our other 688 reviews! I normally do not answer statement per statement keeping a general view when answering our reviews but in this case I find your review totally misleading to future readers and therefore I feel obligated to do so to protect the spotless image of our beautiful Boutique Hotel and personnel!
You state the following:
1.) I made my original booking with booking.com, I then recieved a phonecall from the hotel, promising us an 'upgrade' to an appartment if we cancelled the booking through booking.com and re-booked directly through the hotel. "Great an upgrade!"

ANSWER:
a.)You should indicate that when you reserved through Booking.Com you reserved an apartment
for 2 people outside of the hotel and not a room in the hotel.
b.)Under the voice notes/request, you request an apartment with WiFi which for you is primary.
c.)At the moment of your request our studio apartments (apartment for 2 people) were being
totally renovated with a new WiFi system to offer a quick internet connection.
d.) To satisfy your request for FREE WiFI, the receptionist called you to communicate that the
studio apartments at that moment had no FREE WIFI since the old system was being eliminated
and a newer quicker connection was being installed.
e.) You answered that you necessitated the WiFi and you received an answer that to be able to
utilize the FREE WIFI you would need to change your reservation to a larger apartment. At this

point you answered, “I don’t want to spend more money”. To accommodate your request and
keep you happy as we do for all of our guests, the receptionist offered you a free upgrade to a
bigger apartment (apartment for 4 people) at the (SAME RATE) this way your necessity for FREE
WIFI was satisfied.
f.) Obviously to be able to do so for hotel accounting reasons since we have internal auditors, you
were told that all of this could be done but only if it was not a Booking.Com reservation.
g.) At this point you selected to cancel the Booking.Com reservation. Your decision not the hotel
decision.

2.) The appartment was fine, but in no way a part of the hotel. We had a child's bedcover. Very offputting, and not at all in keeping with the rest of the decor!

a.) I refuse to believe and accept that your double (matrimonial) QUEEN SIZE BED had a child’s bedcover. How many children sleep in Queen size beds? Therefore I do ot accept your statement in merit.
b.) All of our apartments have photos on our website and therefore you knew exactly what the décor of the apartment was.
c.) You contradict yourself with the opening words of your statement, “The appartment was fine”

3.) On our second night we were left with no towels after the room was cleaned. We walked to the
a.) Unfortunately the fact of the missing towels, I do excuse this but as you state they were immediately replaced once you came to the reception to indicate this.
b.) Well you do not indicate when you refer to the fact that the towels were brought to the apartment in plastic bags, “THAT IT WAS RAINING THAT DAY IN ROME!” and therefore to protect them from the rain and not only but also for hygiene reasons!

4.) The next morning at 0930 we were VERY rudely awoken by a man in our bedroom! A bald man who flicked on our light and loitered for at least thirty seconds before being shooed away by us. This was shocking! This was a member of staff, I presume?! At 0930, on a Sunday morning!!
a.)I am sorry about this but once again you do not describe the entire situation, which is that you had left the apartment keys attached to the outside of the door of the apartment and when the cleaning personnel saw this they presumed that you had already left the apartment. As you well know we have more than one apartment in the building you were staying in and therefore the cleaning personnel did not come just for you.

5.) Finally, as we checked out on Monday morning the receptionist was very rude,and frosty. I had no idea whether or not she was finished dealing with me. It was insulting and odd. She was very nice when we booked in, of course.
a.)As all of our 688 previous reviews indicate with the max serenity, our staff at the reception is considered TOP and always receives a maximum point rate so I do not understand your statement.
b.)You should state that when you came to the reception to check out you found some aged women checking out and therefore it took longer to explain what they were paying for etc. and when you arrived you were probably the only ones at that moment and therefore more time could be spent with you. Your insinuation that I do understand is at “0” at this point comparing the check in and check out.
c.)For us, we have no privileged guests since we believe that all of our guests are important to us no matter what they are paying, the age or race! If this was the problem then it is not our problem. I reiterate that our reception staff in 688 reviews has always received the max point rating!

6.) While the appartment was ideally located, clean and pleasent, it was not an upgrade. The staff were strange. We did not stay in a hotel, we rented an appartment. This was not made clear. I feel that there was an air of dishonesty about the whole affair.
Reading you concluding phrases, you do say that the apartment was,
“ideally located,” “clean and pleasant”
I disagree with you that it was not an upgrade considering you received an apartment (FOR 4 PEPOLE) when you were paying for an apartment (FOR 2 PEOPLE)!
You also state,
“We did not stay in a hotel, we rented an appartment. This was not made clear.”
This accusation is incorrect since when you were called by the receptionist this was indicated but not only once you cancelled the Booking.Com reservation (A UNILATERAL DECISION ON YOUR BEHALF) you were sent a New Confirmation where it was written in black and white what you reserved and that it was located within a 1 minute walk away from the hotel. Maybe you should read confirmations when you reserve.
There is absolutely no,
“air of dishonesty about the whole affair”
But I believe just a misunderstanding on your behalf and our 688 positive and almost all max rates proves this.
It would be a pleasure to have you as our guest in the future this way you will see that it was a misunderstanding on your behalf.
Warmest Reagrds,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Wonderfully located, clean, friendly staff, reasonable prices. I really loved this place. Rooms have comfortable beds, modern bathrooms, opulent decor. Perfect place to base yourself when exploring Rome. The rooftop terrace is a wonderful bonus...bring up a bottle of wine, sit and enjoy the view!

I love traveling, and to keep things interesting, I try not to stay in the same hotel twice if visiting a city I have already been to...but sometimes you find THE perfect place. If one day I am fortunate enough to return to Rome, I am booking a room at Hotel Campo de' Fiori again. (Also: If you have not already, check out their Facebook page as well, very entertaining with beautiful photos of Rome and their hotel posted on a regular basis, gets you very excited about your trip.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Campo De' Fiori? Share your experiences!