“Pasta making in Rome” 4 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
15 attraction reviews
“Pasta making in Rome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

An evening class was arranged upon our request at the cooking studio in Rome.We were four women, teens and moms. The chef, Frederico, was delightful, knowledgeable, and entertaining. He taught us to make two different types of pasta doughs and three delicious sauces. We all truly enjoyed the evening and the food was amazing.However, there was a miscommunication from the individual who booked the class, who did not convey that we wanted a meatless menu. Frederico quickly adjusted his menu and adapted to our needs. Yet he was limited by the ingredients he had purchased for the lesson (which included veal and pork) and had to make do with eggs as a second course, which were outstandingly delicious. Also, contrary to the correspondence with the person who booked the class, we were not offered dessert or coffee, which is included in the daytime rome cooking class. The charge was not adjusted even though we did not do the market portion of the class.
I had repeatedly communicated our dietary needs and allergies to the individual who books the classes and he kept responding that we would work it out that day. As such, he did not thoroughly communicate with the chef who had shopped for the lesson before our arrival.
In the end we had a fun and delicious experience, with recipes I have already begun to recreate at home. We also met Fabio, who came by to greet us and was very accommodating and gracious. I highly recommend this experience, but if you are deviating from their usual formula, be careful to ensure that you get the experience you want. Many thanks to Frederico, who truly felt badly that the menu was so limited, his assistant, and to Fabio.

Burleson, Texas
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We took the half day class and our chef was Fredrico. He was fantastic. He's very passionate about cooking and made the experience fun and exciting! This exceeded my expectations! We went to the market and then walked to the apartment and got a history lesson of the area on the way. We we learned to make Ravioli, Fettuchini, Gnocchi and Chicken Pancetta. So much food! We made everything from scratch, and he made it easy to understand, gave us lots of tips and made sure to get us all involved. And everything tasted amazing! It was a great way to end my trip to Rome and I highly recommend it!

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Pizza Making Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I did the evening pizza making class at That's Amore Restaurant. It was a really great value for the price although I do wish it had been a little more detailed. We just learned to make and roll the crust -- I would have liked to make my own sauce as well. It is a super fun way to have an evening out with pizza, drinks and amazing dessert included. The restaurant is very nice and the staff was super friendly.

Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Cooking class in Mazzano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

What an incredible day we had at our cooking class with Monica and Alberto in the small village of Mazzano, North of Rome. They willingly shared their love of food, local knowledge and delightful company! We made some of the most delicious dishes I have ever encountered. An absolute highlight of my trip to Italy! Thank you!

Bern, Switzerland
16 attraction reviews
“Worthwhile experience for a non-cook”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I took the half day Rome cooking class the week of Christmas. There were not a lot of cooking classes to choose from due to being holiday week so there was no choice for me. The experience was worth the 110Euros I think. I've never taken a cooking class before so to get some background on how to make pasta and various sauces, it was good. There were only 5 of us in the class which was great. I read this class can have a max of either 10 or 12 and I don't really know how they would fit that many people for a class. Basically with 5 people, we all had enough to do in terms of preparing the ingredients in the small kitchen so more than 5 or 7 people I think would not be good. We started the day by buying the ingredients at Campo de Fiori, everything from vegetables, cheesse and meat. We walked to the apartment which was a nice walk. At the apartment, Chef Monica and team kept us busy preparing the ingredients. As the ingredients were done, Chef would put this in the pot/oven for cooking. Ocassionally, she would show us the pot and what was happening. We also made pasta - fettucine and ravioli. I've never done this before so if you already know how to make your own pasta then this part might bore you. Around 12ish, the food was ready and Chef and team served us each dish and there were 2 bottles of wine to share. I think it would be great if the Chef and team joined us for the meals and talked about the food but they just served it to us. The food tasted great, certainly better than what I would cook but I don't think the quality is of great restaurant food. Overall, I would recommend but only if you're more of a beginner cook and knowing too that a good portion of time would be spent making pasta.

Visited December 2013

Been to Fabiolous Cooking Day? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Fabiolous Cooking Day, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.