“Terrible service ever seen” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Rome, Italy
“Terrible service ever seen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I was at the restaurant tonight celebrating festa delle donne with other friends in a group of twenty, mostly women. This is my first time over Mekong, and surely it is the last time. The owner treated us rudely, talking to us with a VERY LOUD VOICE, while showing NO respect to women at all. We were SUGGESTED NOT TO order anything other than fixed menu. The non stop murmurs of the owner even lasted during his serving of the dishes. The food, honestly speaking, is not comparable to any of the Vietnamese restaurants that I tired before in central Paris. I would say tonight's dinning experience is amongst the worst that I have ever had in Italy.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PROROMA, Direttore at Restaurant Mekong, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Readers. The Lady speaks of respect. Respect is a broad concept that goes by the respect for people, women or men who are, for the work that these people perform. The Lady deliberately omits to say that the group of 20 people was as agreements between the parties present at the restaurant for dinner at 7 pm. Ms. Peggy Chung who made with a phone call with me, the reservation, he knew perfectly well that after the tables were reserved for other guests from 9.30 pm onwards. My recommendation on Time and punctuality were linked to the fact that on 8 of March was a special day and that was on a Saturday, a day when the restaurant is always fully booked in every seat. Instead, the group which eventually consisted of 21 persons was completed at around 8.30 pm creating to our organization of the work, especially to the kitchen, not a few problems. Unfortunately, and I repeat, unfortunately, this is my fault, dear readers, this has generated anxiety in this writer; anxiety that has resulted in a dialectical confrontation on the commitments made to us and the danger of not being able to comply with the time reservations taken with other customers. This writer is born on 8 of March. So yesterday was my birthday. To defuse the climate I also communicated to the Ladies present in the room until then. This date is sacred to me not just because I was born there but also because for women is an important day and our staff is composed mostly of women. So how can you think that I can be disrespectful to a woman and just being rude? No. I simply expressed my thoughts and I did it with decisiveness and determination, because I felt betrayed in their promises, and I fear evidently, then unfortunately occurred, the non-observance of the time. I have this absolutely and necessarily to thank the customers who had booked for 9.30 pm that they had to wait as a result of the times delayed, from 30 to 40 minutes longer in order to accommodate: to them should be given the attention of those who wrote this review. I think that also them have enjoy the same respect.
As for the "terrible service" to the finding of the taste and the comparison with other Restaurants in central Paris, I'm convinced that these assessments are the result of an pretext to let us know that she will never be more in our Restaurant. Although many of her friends, did not think so: in fact, we have received compliments by different Ladies and somebody also released on a personal tip to the waiters who are distinguished for kindness, generosity and respect. The decision not to take longer to come to find, I'm sorry. But I would like the Lady is just as sorry for me, to the great distress that the group has caused, with an exception of five Ladies that arrived on time at the restaurant. The same Peggy Chung, to which I had recommended, came to the restaurant about 30 minutes late. Very respectful for me, for us.
THE MORAL OF EVERYTHING 'IS' THAT WE WRONG TO ACCEPT A BOOKING FOR A GROUP OF SO MANY PEOPLES IN ONE DAY SO 'SPECIAL AND PARTICULAR, OF THIS WE ASSUME OUR LIABILITY'. WE'RE WRONG IN THE FACT OF WE HAVE TO TRUST THAT ITS COMMITMENT AGAINST US WAS RESPECTED.
OF THIS EXPERIENCE WE TRASURE AND BY TODAY WE TAKE THE COMMITMENT THAT THIS DISPLEASING SITUATIONS WILL NEVER BE MORE.
THIS IS A SOLEMN COMMITMENT.

G. P.: DIRECTOR

• Polish first
“Expencive and faraway”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This restaurant was far away from Piazza venezia.
We have to take taxi to come here.
Then we are leaving we have to call new taxi, because there was not taxi around there.
The food was small dishes and expencive. We have been travelling a lot of place and visit a lot of restaurant, but this place was not vietnamese food at all.
Too expencive small dishes.
Far away

PROROMA, Direttore at Restaurant Mekong, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Readers. As you read this review, we remain decidedly incredulous, doubtful and perplexed . We immediately wondered if this lady had never really come to our restaurant , because undoubtedly, something in what she writes ninth square. If one is willing to spend about € 50 for a taxi there and back, to come to Piazza Venezia in Via Enea headquarters of the Mekong Restaurant, as it does to worry about a final bill "expensive", when in our restaurant average individual cost is around 20/25 € per person ? We have to think that is not so much financially wealthy ? In addition, the Lady is complaining about the portions, in his opinion, "exclusive", evidently the Lady is not accustomed to frequent restaurants like ours, because instead of dwelling on the detection of the palate, flavors, also dwells on the amount of food we are really sorry for her, we find it sickening and depressing because absolutely untrue; often, in fact, our customers, the real ones, are complaining about the excessive amount of food in the course and fail to complete the dish itself, many times resorting to take-away service . As for the taxi can not be found in the vicinity of the restaurant, this is another lie. When a customer, particularly if foreign, arrive by taxi at our restaurant, you are immediately identified , because the restaurant has access to our personal showcase and see all the movements that occur on the road. Also, and this we say to the readers, it is always our care at the time of payment of the bill provide customer arrived by taxi, the service "call taxi ", this means our readers that we are to ask the customer if he needs and then a taxi to make the call. We ask and ask the Lady, because this has not happened with her ? Maybe because she just is not coming at our restaurant ? Taxi with an average time of three or four minutes of the call, to the restaurant . In any case, to inform prospective customers, that about a quarter mile away from the restaurant, on both the right and the left , there are two taxi stations fixed . So come join us with peace of mind and confidence.
With regard to our proposal instead culinary. defines no Vietnamese food, first we would like to know what are the dishes she selected , THIS DOES NOT REPRESENT AN EVEN, if she is of Vietnamese nationality , NO, if you have ever made ​​a trip to Vietnam , NO, if it is maybe a chef of Vietnamese cuisine , NO , and NO could go on forever. Do not just write, with the attempt to deceive the readers, that the food offered is not Vietnamese , you must specify WHY; but frankly we doubt that the Lady might be able to explain why. So dear readers please DOUBT is wary of this review. The sole purpose of this paper and to discredit and mystify our restaurant, with the distance from the center, the scarcity of services, the amount of food offered in the course , the high cost and not its authenticity food , for the reader to thrash the inhibition to visit us , especially those abroad, preferably Vietnamese . Even more so then, if a review is written in plain English not exactly perfect, with blunders, such as "EXPANCIVE" repeated twice, rather than EXPANSIVE. We ask ourselves, who is behind the elusive nick name of linda_pha ?

GIUSEPPE PERETTI: DIRECTOR ROOM
Naples, FL
“Fantastic food - get the tasting menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Who would've thought that one of my favorite meals of my life would take place in Rome? I was beginning to develop a headcold when we found Mekong, and I figured that garlic/ginger would only be good for my immune system. I ordered the 7 course vegetarian tasting menu - which included spring rolls, vegetable balls, a type of rice paper wrap, delicious noodle/vegetable soup, fried vegetable balls, astounding tofu, and ended with 'fried pumpkin' which was magnificent. Even if you do not get the vegetarian tasting, you MUST try the fried pumpkin! It's very light, and covered in chocolate sauce and toasted coconut. My brother tried the pad thai which was also great, and we also tasted the chicken with cashew nuts and orange. You will not regret trying this restaurant!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Civita Castellana, Italy
“Nothing special, bland generic "caramel" sauce”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I didn't really expect this place to blow me away after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. However, after living in the countryside outside of Rome for several months, I was craving something other than pizza and pasta and decided to go to Mekong with a friend. Visually, the place is clean and well-organized. The service is good for Italian standards, even if our waiter was not prepared to offer any kind of suggestion when we were unsure which meats to order - however, I am used to Italian wait staff being unenthusiastic and therefore I cannot judge them too harshly. In the end, my friend and I ordered a caramelized chicken and vegetable dish and a caramelized pork rib dish. I was a little worried about ordering two "caramel" dishes, but the waiter assured me that they tasted very different. Unfortunately, they did both taste exactly the same, and both were entirely inedible without being bathed in chile sauce. The "caramel" was more like gelatin and had no flavor profile apart from sweet. The meat was unseasoned and the mushy texture left much to be desired. The pork and mint spring roll tasted more like an egg roll from an American mall Chinese restaurant and lacked the crunch and freshness of a traditional Vietnamese spring roll or Imperial roll. Because the portions were so small (and probably because I wanted more reason to criticize the restaurant), we both ordered desserts. I had sweet rice with a mango topping, and my friend had a red bean paste torte. Both were absolutely appalling and flavorless. In the end, the wine we ordered wasn't half bad and the price was not outrageous. Would I go here again? Nope. Should you go here? Probably not. I will definitely try another Vietnamese restaurant next time- any suggestions?

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
PROROMA, Direttore at Restaurant Mekong, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear readers. This review was written in continuation with a precedent published. But the representation of selected dishes is actually confusing and often false. For example, we do not propose any vegetable dish caramelized; and as regards the fudge sauce that has a name Nuoc Mau, this is produced directly in Vietnam and doesn' t undergo any modification on our part. The customer declares false when he says that he talked to me of his hits with the dishes; this thing never happened: If he really spoke to me, I would have explained that it is different in the composition of the dishes, but the caramel sauce is always the same. It is also the first time in my life I've heard of the admixture of hot pepper sauce (spicy) sauce and caramel sauce: an imaginative Vietnam! The seasoned meat?: this is an element of pure fantasy. In our restaurant the meat is freshe and certified, the certification with the date of slaughter and provenance are available to anyone who wanted to test them.The client proves once again very imaginative. As for the sheets of rice, the customer makes a lot of confusion, mistakes and confuses the spring rolls which are sheets of fried rice, with imperial rolls that are sheets instead of rice stew. Regarding the size of the flow, with particular reference to the imperial rolls, the customer must be accustomed to a presentation of Vietnamese cuisine slightly less refined; I can' t blame you. On the cake, I swear it's the first time in my life I've heard of sweet and spicy. Please, let's face it. And the truth is that with this review so you try to put it mildly cheeky to give a distorted and part of the dishes we prepared. The customer wanted to build a beautiful castle that sin is sandy, so easily destructible. We wonder why? Sorry for this Lord and his friend who wrote the previous review, but his attempt to suggest to readers that in our restaurant, which has only a few months of life, you develop a bad kitchen, you will not succeed. Write false things and groped to deceive readers will not succeed. Indeed, we think that with this kind of reviews we will have a great success and a brilliant and long life. Long live the Mekong Restaurant! Long live Vietnam!
Thank you for your attention.
Hong Kong, China
“Worse meal of our Eurotrip, 2012, and candidate for worse meal of my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

So the story goes, my friend and I had been travelling throughout Europe and hadn't had Asian food for a good 10 days. Like the reviewer below, we're both from Vancouver and have had plenty of authentic and inauthentic Vietnamese food, but this place takes it to a whole new level. We ordered four items: a Mango Chicken Salad, Banh Cuon- which is a rice roll normally stuffed with minced meat and cilantro, more on that later. we each had a bowl of Beef pho and a soda each. Needless to say, the best part of the meal were the sodas- a coca cola for my friend and a fanta for myself.

There was nothing really inherently wrong with the mango chicken salad, in fact it was palatable...

The Rice roll was stuffed with.... fried rice?!?!?! what the deuce?!?!?! i have no idea why they used fried rice as a stuffing. The skin tasted like it was frozen and was far too thick. Not to mention the fish sauce they gave us for dipping, tasted more of salt water than of proper fish sauce (which we've had in vancouver, hong kong , and vietnam)

Then came the Sportscenter highlight of the night. The Pho. First of all, i have NO idea why there were slices of avocado in a bowl of Pho Bo. No. Idea. Whatsoever. I'm not sure avocado was meant to be doused in broth in any cuisine, but low and behold, these "chefs" decided to throw avocado in there.

Secondly, the broth was.... chicken stock? really? in a Beef Pho? If they served me a bowl of instant pho in a package, i reckon they could've duped me into thinking they actually made an effort to serve the customer real pho.

thirdly, but by this time the writing was well on the wall: the beef was like chopped off ends of random parts of the cow, not Eye of Round , or Brisket which is what is normally served.

last point: the bowl was tiny, but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

If you've read this far, Please, fellow tripadvisor reader, do yourself a favor, and do NOT eat here. I understand that negative reviews may have negative impact on restaurants, but this was really the worse meal of 2012 for me and my friend, and is a candidate for the worst meal of my life. The Italian owner asked us how the food was, and we took the high road and told him it was ok, but looking back on it, we indeed took a REALLY high road.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
PROROMA, Direttore at Restaurant Mekong, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear readers of this review.
In the name and on behalf of the Commercial Department of the Restaurant Mekong consider unjust and slanderous things about our work reported in this review. Much of what is written, in fact, are incorrect or false, for example in our menu are not presented the Banh Cuon, but the Banh Nam Choi or Banh Nam Tom that are steamed; an oversight ? Mah ! The client and his diner if they had really visited Vietnam, something which strongly doubt it, they would know that the Pho Bo is offered in many different ways, city by city, taking the name of their city of origin, and that even in Hanoi, because we present only the Pho Bo Hanoi, this is offered with six different recipes. With reference to the recipe for Pho Bo broth and specific to the customer that in the original recipe historically recognized, the broth is made from 80% of beef broth and 20% of chicken broth. But we can understand his ignorance on the subject of preparation of Pho also with reference to the size of beef used. Its representation is very similar to the classic South Vietnamese Pho, while we present a North Vietnamese Pho. Who we are serious about Pho knows that the difference is abysmal. On fish sauces, the customer has clearly confused the Nuoc Mam with Nuoc Cham and this is a further element of his ignorance. One last note: the two diners have taken to drink a coke and fanta orange, now , how do you talk about Vietnamese cuisine and enjoy a Pho with carbonated drinks. This is a real insult . So we believe that this review is nothing more than Iun attempt to delegitimize our work and our culinary offerings. We invite the readers of this review do not believe in what it said, but to come and visit us and see for yourself the authenticity of our culinary dishes, verified by so many of our Vietnamese customers .