“An extended stay after a business conference” 5 of 5 stars

Polo Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Bartolomeo Gastaldi 4, 00197 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #1,003 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Halstead
“An extended stay after a business conference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I flew out to stay with my husband who had stayed at the hotel for 5 days on business in April. I arrived and was met with lovely friendly reception staff who checked me in and made sure the room was ready for me to freshen up in. The room was quiet and exceptionally clean and the bed was large and very comfortable.
The best bit of our stay was a drink in the bar after a exhausting sightseeing day, the bar man delivered our beer with fantastic appertisers, imaginative and tasty all for the price of a beer!
The location of the hotel is beautiful, a very lovely residential area, a quick 20 minute walk through lovely gardens to the city walls, you can also get a train from the local station which takes minutes but you miss out seeing the modern art gallery and a stroll through the gardens.
I would defiantly use this hotel again, and would recommend it to fellow travellers who want clean, quiet & quality accommodation in Rome.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor with a side balcony view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Proprietario at Polo Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your contribution. All your positive points raised have made our day!
We hope we will soon have the pleasure to welcome you back to your home away from home in Rome. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had a great time in Rome and we did enjoy our stay. We are only giving the Polo 3 out of 5 for a few reasons. First, our experience with the staff was different than some other people's. We found them pleasant, helpful and they seemed sincerely happy to see us in the morning as we left for the day's excursions or in the evening when we returned home. The entire staff - from housekeeping, to the restaurant, to the people at the front desk - went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to be helpful. There was a small supermarket around the corner and the people were used to tourists from the hotel and they also helped to make our stay a pleasant one. (I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant, but after having travelled a bit, I find that simply asking someone their name, telling them yours and then trying to say please and thank you in their language will usually end up getting you better service - wherever you are).
Is this hotel out of the way? Definitely yes, but it depends a little on your perspective. I was able to jog from the hotel to the coliseum in about 35 minutes. The closest metro is Flaminio which is fifteen minutes away, but the train station, Euclide, is only 5 minutes away and it is one stop away from Flaminio and the rest of the metro system - and it uses the same 1 euro ticket which is good for 75 minutes throughout the network of trains, buses and metros. The trains run every fifteen minutes during the day. A taxi from the hotel to the Coliseum at 4:30 in the afternoon cost me exactly 8.40 euros. You can walk from the hotel to even the farthest tourist site in the city in 45 minutes if you so choose, otherwise there are metro stops at most of the important sites. We walked everywhere we went and we used to enjoy our walks home at night long the Tevere (Tiber) river. I am 58 with arthritis in the knees and after walking up and down hills in Rome for two weeks, I actually lost a little weight and my knees were better for having had the exercise. It might, however, be harder for a senior or someone with small children because of the distances.
This was my first trip to Europe and I found the room exceptionally small even though I had been warned. We had ants in our room, but in all fairness, the front desk did eventually send someone to deal with the problem once they had been informed. Later, however, while sitting in the armchair in the lobby, I suddenly felt three or four on my arms.
The breakfast was adequate (the coffee was great), but they served the exact same limited, mediocre menu every day for two weeks which grew very tiresome. As I said, I have never been to Europe before, but I have stayed in 4 star hotels in Cuba, Japan, the US, the Philippines, and in Canada and when I do an overall comparison to the Polo Hotel, it just doesn't measure up as well. Even though Cuba is still under an embargo the breakfasts are generally more interesting, better prepared and more varied. There was great inexpensive fruit at the supermarket near the Polo, especially the gigantic seedless Italian grapes, but the fruit at breakfast was a little old and unappetizing.
The TV had only about 10 channels, most of which were Italian with 2 or 3 Russian stations, one Spanish and CNN International in English. There were no films available to watch, not even for rental. The view from our room looked out on a junky area behind the hotel. The shower stall was a tight fit for one person, I wouldn't suggest trying to fit two. The hotel might be better off eliminating the biday and increasing the size of the shower. The internet service was reasonable priced and fairly reliable for WIFI.

Bottom line: would I go back? Maybe yes, because of the staff and because all the walking caused me to see things I wouldn't have had I been staying at a downtown hotel. Would I recommend the hotel? Not at the prices we paid. This is simply not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
PoloHotelRoma, Direttore at Polo Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Dear Guest,
We are pleased you spent a lovely time in Rome and we thank you for your kind suggestions as we allways strive to impove our services.
We hopefully have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards.
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The hotel was nice enough. It was very clean and comfortable. However, the location is not so good. It is very far away from anything. We decided to walk it to the city which nice at first but then it became a bit tiring.

We read on the reviews previously that the hotel staff were not so friendly. Well, they were right. It wasn't a language barrier because they could speak a bit of English and I could speak a bit of Italian. Even when communicating with them in their native tongue they were miserable and unhelpful. It looked as though they didn't want to be there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for you review. We are sorry you had some difficulties in language communication. During your stay we had some young stagers... we will require better language skills.
We look forward to welcome you again in the near future! Best regards.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

This hotel is a good business hotel which caters well for the traveller. The rooms are well appointed and the resturant serves a good breakfast and evening meal. The noise from ajoining rooms is a little loud and the wifi works better in some areas than others. The staff are knowledable and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Medellin, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

This hotel's decor is really dated -- late 60s' architecture and brown wood interiors -- which I kind of found cool. At the same time it's pretty luxurious. The hotel's general feel matches that of the quiet, rich surrounding neighborhood, which is the nicest I've stayed in in Rome. (There are just enough restaurants and boutiques and a Carrefour nearby for necessities). No gym or anything, and the internet is spotty in the rooms -- the outlets are old as well. But the service was friendly, and there's lots of it. Breakfast is passable. An easy walk to the convention center.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was a relatively nice hotel but away from everything and in a residential district. Even the Villa Borghese was a long walk away. The rooms were clean but at least the ones we had included tiny bathrooms. Fabric walls were an interesting touch but it had water damage near the window which gave off a musty smell. We only stayed here briefly for tow night and spent most of our time sightseeing. Breakfast was just OK with a limited assortment of options compared to other hotels we have stayed at in Europe. The front desk clerk was not friendly but again it didn't matter since we weren't there very often. Even though this is an average hotel the location makes it undesirable to Rome's sites.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
we thank you for your review. We always appreciate to receive feedbacks from our Guests in order to impove services.
Thank you and kind regards.
Irving, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

We are a family of 4 with 2 adult "children" and spent 3 nights at the Polo Hotel. We flew in and took RomeCabs to the Polo Hotel for $55 euros. We mentioned to our driver how we are planning to buy the Roma Pass and he offered to wait for us after we checked in and take us to Termini Station to purchase them. We were welcomed with a smile and checked in to our 2 clean rooms. We checked in to room 309, with a small walk-out balcony and the view is facing the building across, facing their balconies as well. Room 312 has a basic window facing the street. We had all the basic toiletries, hair dryer, and a few extras such as shower caps and shoe shine buffers. The room and bathroom were very clean and each adult had their own little closet, set of drawers, in addition to a dresser. Cable channels were iffy, but who really wants to watch TV? Both rooms also had keyboards for internet access, at a fee. There is also a small fridge in the room and my tiny bottle of water was the only thing that fit (worked for me). We enjoyed breakfast and always had plenty to eat. We ate dinner there the first night because we were exhausted and were the only guests for dinner. We didn't see many guests and perhaps that is why there was always plenty to eat at breakfast. The hotel is not located in the city, but we had easy access to the train station and never had to wait long for a train (5 to 10 minute walk). One bus runs in front of the hotel, but we didn't take it. As you face out the front doors, there is a grocery store up the hill on the left. We went there about 3 times for water, fruit, and snacks. The walk from the train station to the hotel was nice and allowed us to talk about our day. We didn't mind the distance and enjoyed our stay at the Polo Hotel and hopefully you will as well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Polo Hotel? Share your experiences!