“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #503 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Vancouver, Canada
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights. One week before we arrived (had pre paid) we wanted to check in one day earlier and leave one day earlier but where told that is not possible.(we knew rooms where available). Or we would have to pay for the change one day extra despite the fact we would still only stay 4 nights. When we tried to use the bathroom (sink) water and "dirt" came out of the floor (there was a round metal cover on the floor)
We requested that the give us an other room which was declined with the argument " the owner/manager has to approve it and they could not reach her" (rooms where available)
As it was Saturday late afternoon the staff worked hard to fix it and did their best.
The staff is very friendly and helpful and despite the fact the the manager/owner seems not to empower the staff to make decisions.
I am not sure if I would stay there again as the location is in a very seedy part of town

Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Just back from a 3 night trip to Rome with my 15 year old son. We found the hotel really easily, thanks to instruction provided by hotel, and was in really easy walking distance of Termini station. There was a small lift and stairs up to the 4th floor where the hotel is located. We found it super - small but perfectly formed! The reception is manned 24 hours, and we found everyone who was on duty on our short break to be friendly, helpful and welcoming. No bar or 'lounge' but not a problem for us - we were out all day and asleep once we got back!! Rooms quite small (but you do only sleep there!), extremely clean, air conditioned, hairdryer, powerful shower, AND Sky TV (which my son was delighted with!). Free wi-fi too, which was useful when looking up the various places of interest to visit, book tours etc, not to mention pick up emails etc. Breakfast very nice - cereal, boiled eggs, fruit, croissants, juice, cappochino..........everything you could want. Nothing cooked, but we weren't expecting that anyway.
Brilliant location - close to buses, trains, pavement cafes - everything.
Our room was at the front, and my son said he found it a bit noisy at night (occasional sirens etc) but we live in the deepest countryside, so not really surprising. (I slept like a log - beds very comfy!) We didnt ask to be moved (he said he wasnt that worried), but I do believe if we had asked, they would have moved us.
Minibar at reception, so you could buy water, beer, soft drinks, juice etc before you went to your room - all very reasonable prices.....
Last (but not least) they have big lockable cupboards so you can leave your cases, rucksacks etc, even when you have checked out...very useful for us, because we were visiting the Vatican before we flew home, and because we could leave our bags, we didnt have to lug them around with us (it was exhausting enough with just a handbag, I can tell you!!! Great tho!!)
For a city break, this hotel was PERFECT - a very good standard 3 star. Wouldnt hesitate to go there again. A great find - thanks to all you Trip advisor advisers - I wouldnt have found it without you!

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel will be quieter, I think
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

If you are looking for a well priced hotel close to train station and tour buses this is the one. Extremely clean and well appointed for the price. More than adequate selection on continental breakfast buffet. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We loved this hotel. It was clean, modern, and big enough for two people. It was on the 5th floor of the building though, so it is good to note that there is a little elevator. We didn't really see it and traveled up 4 flights to the lobby with our bags. The people were helpful there and the breakfast was huge. There was a lot to choose from. The absolute only bad thing was that it was May and during this time of year they don't turn on the AC. So you have to have the window open and this means it is noisy. It didn't bother me, but my husband couldn't sleep at all. He bought ear plugs but it didn't help much. It is a great location for being close to the train station, but this also makes it noisy I would think. I would stay here again though. We loved it.

Room Tip: Probably rooms opposite the street would be fine.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I could not find it right away, but is not difficult, 2 blocks from Termini( train station). Not fancy.
Close to metro and buses. Even it was a busy season, kids vacation, the rates were very good.
I'm a solo traveler. My room was small but had all what I needed.very cute, clean and quiet.
The people at the reception could not be more helpful and pleasant. Always glad to help
The breakfast was great. Coffee excellent , bread, yogurt, juice, pastries, hard boiled egg, and cold cuts that I did not try, because I'm vegetarian.
I loved my experience here

Room Tip: This time of the year, I did not need ac, or heater, but in thin they have both
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a four day visit to rome with my wife and daughter, staying at the Scott House hotel.
Met by a very helpful receptionist who gave us a map showing where the sights were in relation to the hotel.
The room was a it cramped for the three of us but as were only in it to sleep and freshen up it was fine.
The only issue was the bathroom which was small and cramped and to be honest smelt (the drains).
There was only a mirror in the bathroom which was a drag. Our room faced the back of the hotel so no problem from street noise.
The hotel is situated near the train station so easy to get to. However the area at night is slightly dodgy which was backed up when the receptionist advised a fellow guest not to go towards the station around 10pm at night for something to eat as "not a nice area".

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Basingstoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Just returned from a weekend in Rome watching rugby. Needed a comfortable hotel near centre and found the perfect spot. Great reception when we arrived, comfortable beds and perfect location to get out and see what Rome has to offer as well as close to station to get to and from the airport. There were five in our party and we all agreed we should post a positive note on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Scott House? Share your experiences!