“We enjoyed our visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #217 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
San Jose, California
“We enjoyed our visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights before heading to Florence. The customer service was great. They really helped us figure out how to get where we wanted with the bus routes and answered all of our questions. The breakfast spread was huge and much more than expected. It is located in a very quiet area and it is next to a pharmacy, small coffee shops, bus stop and gelato shop. It is only a 10 minute walk to all the bigger restaurants and the rest of the bus stops. We even walked out late at night with no problems at all. It is definitely a good value for the money.

The elevator can barely fit one person with lugguage but I always took the stairs myself to the 3rd floor. The room is a little dated but it was clean, with AC, cable and everything worked. If you don't have a lot of money and want to get away from all the crowds, this is the spot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Six Mile, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We picked this hotel based on all the reviews. We wanted a hotel that was not in city center, we got that. Reviews stated that hotel staff were very helpful, that was not our experience. The staff spoke little English and the help that was offered was a point in the right direction but nothing else. The staff can call for a taxi well. At night when we returned to hotel to get key for room the staff was not cheerful, made us feel like we were an intrusion or interrupting him. After 4 days there you would think they would recognize you when its the same hotel staff member each night, but not so. Breakfast was the most uncomfortable time, we felt like we were not welcome plus not a great selection of food , there was a lot but never a change. hotel was very clean, rooms were very clean, small and quiet. Beds are hard as a rock.Staff not so helpful but hotel clean. Would not stay again, I want to feel welcomed when I stay at a hotel.Average rating because the location is nice, hotel is clean but needs some updating..but I also give it a POOR rating simply because there was no effort to make us feel comfortable except for when we checked in. If hotel was not paid in advance we would have gone to a different hotel.
Wendy from South Carolina

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
georgemanager, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel delle Muse, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you for your review, although we do disagree on a few points.

If 99% of our guests write that they find us to be most helpful, we feel it means that they have given us the right conditions to be helpful for them, meaning that they asked us specific requests, and we did our best to satisfy them. Such requests need to come from the client, as they can't come from us.

When a guest arrives, we strive to give a maximum amount of useful information and material, but beyond that, we count on the guest to ask us for anything in particular. We have no other way of accomodating everyone's needs.

I would like to reconfirm that all of our staff speaks a good English. Among our 6 receptionists, the other languages that we cover are French, German, Spanish, Pakistani, Urdu, and with the help of other staff Hebrew and Arabic. Of course they are not spoken at the level of a mother tongue, but are spoken with a comfortable level of comprehension.

You mention that when returning at night you felt that the receptionist wasn't as cheerful as you would have liked.
We feel that when you return, the receptionist's job is to hand you your key and any messages, assist you with whatever requests might have come up during the day, and do his job in the best and politest way.
Please note that we ask our receptionists to be helpful without being intrusive, as we feel that your time is valuable. They will assist you with anything you ask of them, in the best way possible, 24 hours a day.
Every night, we host between 100 and 120 guests. While we agree with you that it's very nice to have your key ready for you from the moment the receptionist recognizes you in the driveway, we don't feel it's a serious offense when this isn't the case because the receptionist isn't 100% sure of your identity. I'm sure you prefer that the receptionist double check who you are, rather than give your keys to a complete stranger, or give you the keys to someone else's room.
We have of course regular guests who come back every week, every month, or every year, be it for business or for pleasure, and obviously after many times they are recognized not only by the receptionists but by all of our staff. It seems somewhat brash to be disappointed that you are not recognized by one of our several receptionists over the course of a 4-night stay.

We also have a hard time understanding how one could feel "not welcome" at our breakfast buffet, which is open to all and where one doesn't need to wait to be seated. The only personnel present are the waiters who serve coffee, cappuccinos, or any other requests, and clean tables once they have been freed up. Perhaps what you were expecting, as is sometimes done in other 4-5 star hotels, is to have a host greet you at the entrance, check the list to see if you're allowed to the breakfast area and show you to a random table, however we don't use this system. We trust our clients, we don't need to have a list of room numbers which needs to be crossed off. Everything in our hotel is self-service, and completely free of access.

Additionally, if our breakfast schedule of 7am to 10am seemed restrictive to you, we remind you that we don't bat an eye if people stay even until 11am, as we take much pleasure in having our guests enjoy their breakfast with us.

As far as the breakfast buffet is concerned, we are regularly complimented for our exceptional buffet for a 3-star hotel. We completely agree with you that we have an oppulent amount of food and as such there is no need for a daily change in product variety. Any hotel which offers such a variety of food in their buffet as we do can't possibly change the entire selection every day. If you were craving something particular from home which wasn't available, you could have always asked us. We have recently had a guest tell us that he would have loved some peanut butter. We made every effort to find peanut butter , and were terribly pleased to present the guest with peanut butter for breakfast the next morning!
Here is the list of things which are available every day, which we feel are quite varied and plentiful.

Breakfast is a Hot and cold self service buffet breakfast

American Coffee-Cappuccino-Espresso Coffee-milk (hot and cold) –Hot Chocolate-Tea-different choices of bread-black bread-fresh bread- butter croissant- Chocolate Croissant – Jam Croissant – toast - corn flakes (original “Kellogs” cereals – more than 5 different types) – marmalade – jam – honey – butter – chocolate jam (famous “Nutella”) – fruits - fresh fruits - crème caramel – pudding – cheese – salami – ham - orange juice - grapefruit juice - different cheeses -home made cake with jam – Famous Cakes of Gargani Pastry Family – olives - boiled fruits – tomatoes - cooked cold apples with sugar or peaches following the season - different types of yogurt - scrambled eggs and separately bacon , boiled potatoes , wurstel, hard boiled eggs - eggs “à la coque” style.

We are very pleased that the room, bathroom and all the rest were up to your cleanliness standards and that you were pleased on that level, we value that very much.

Micol Lazar
Direzione Hotel delle Muse
Roma
Mesa, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The hotel had many good points: it's located on a quiet street, it's close to a bus stop, the restaurant attached served great food and the wait staff were always funny and friendly. But that's about it. The room we stayed in was not like any of the pictures on the site. It was old, tired, and felt dirty. The beds were THE WORST I've ever slept on. In fact, I don't think I was actually able to sleep on them. They are basically just cots, which was a disappointment. The shower was itty-bitty and gross. Sorry to say I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
georgemanager, Direttore at Hotel delle Muse, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Cheryl
We are sorry to see that you was not satisfied of your stay in our Hotel and we have received the same review from your friends also.
Regarding the room we have 58 rooms and they are all different. You should have told us that you liked to see another room and we would have shown you other rooms. Each of us has his own taste so may be what we like you don’t like and for this reason it is important to speak with the Hotel’s staff. Then , if the staff it is not helping you, you have all the rights to complain.
The beds and the mattress are normal Hotel beds – super ortopedic and fireproof. The company which sell these beds sell the same beds to the 80% of the Hotel in Rome.
We don’t understand how the shower could be “ itty-bitty and gross” when all the other clients said that bathrooms are ok.
You wrote that we were funny and friendly, why haven’t you spoken with us to resolve these problems?
Best regards
Mr. Giorgio Lazar-Manager
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Ranked 198 of 1200 or so hotels in Rome, with trip advisor, my wife and I were expecting something a little more upmarket. We did enjoy our stay, Staff were friendly - "George" or "Georgio" must have been away during our stay, we were never greeted with a "Beaming Smile" Rooms were basic but clean, bathroom and shower excellent. Free safe and air conditioning a bonus. There was a wide range of food at breakfast, we ate in the restaurant every night, outside - (we weren't given a choice to eat inside) the food was reasonably priced but not particularly exciting. We never discovered a Bar/Lounge. On a couple of occasions we returned exhausted, from sightseeing in Rome centre, in 34 degree heat. When we asked if we could get a drink we were told to sit in the garden and they would send someone. we waited... and waited... in the WARM garden until a cleaning lady turned up to take our order, after several attempts to order drinks we settled for a 330ml can of beer and a bottle of Sprite. An air-conditioned bar would have been heaven at that point. As I said earlier, we enjoyed our stay, I'm not knocking the hotel but we were disappointed that images on their site and on trip advisor did not reflect a true picture of the hotel, It wasn't until we returned home and took another look at the pictures that we realized the majority were from 2010/2011 We would possibly return but felt a little cheated this time around

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Colin647
Many thanks for your nice review. I liked a lot your review because it is writing exactly good and bad things so we can correct things that are not perfect.
My exact name is Giorgio and it was given to me by a group from the US that what checking in and heard from my Father that he was going to have a son. He had still not decided my name so the group suggestion was George, as George Washington.
I am sorry I had not the chance to meet you personally but I was always in the hotel from 07.30 until 20.00 every day-even Sundays!!
The majority of my time I stay in my Office nearby the reception answering to the e-mails together with my son Gavriel and working on all the administrative things, but when there is need I am coming out to help the receptionist.
Reading well your review I should like to clarify the following:
Starting from the breakfast, in summer, we say to all our clients at the arrival that they can eat inside or outside , as they prefer. Of course the same is for the lunch or the dinner. As the 99% of the clients like to eat in our garden we open inside ONLY on request. We have anyway some clients that prefer sometimes to eat inside for different reasons: air condition, to watch the TV, they feel cold, so we really are get used to make eat people outside and inside so we don’t understand how it could have happen that you ate outside if you wanted to eat inside.
Same thing for the drinks. We have the waiter from 07.00 until 15.00 and from 19.00 until 23.00.
When the waiters are not in service, from 15.00 until 19.00 we have always a cleaning Lady or a bell boy which is available on request for your drinks both outside or inside. As there are very few people that like drinks in the afternoon we don’t have a waiter for that but only 1 extra person that can be or a bell boy or a cleaning Lady but if they are busy with other clients or with arrivals than it can happen that you can wait a little bit. In this case we suggest that you ask the drinks directly to the receptionist.
As written also in our suggestions at the arrival you can have hot and cold drinks 24 hours. In the night the receptionist has available all the drinks that you might like.
Regarding what you wrote “we were never greeted with a "Beaming Smile”, I have teached to my Staff to be always friendly and nice but overall to be like that in a natural way. Sometime a beaming smile it is too much and it is not natural so I am glad that compared to other Hotels where clients write that receptionist were ugly, I am very happy that they are always helpful, nice and friendly (this what the other clients write in the review about them)
As written in your nice review I hope you will be back in our Hotel. Kindly, when you will be back, write me personally. info@hoteldellemuse.com – to the attention of Mr. Giorgio Lazar.
I promise we will make our best for you.
Best regards and thanks again
Giorgio Lazar
New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was our first time in Rome and we chose Muse based on TA reviews. The staff was generally friendly, but the cons completely outweighed the pros.

- Our room was bruised and battered, and it showed. Scruff marks that were poorly repainted on the walls, a shower door that didn't close, mildew on the walls of the bathroom, and a TERRIBLE spring mattress (actually two twin sized mattress put together judging by the vertical dent in the middle) with no support. The first time I took a shower, I noticed a hair stuck on the shower wall which mantained its presence for the rest of our stay - despite visits from the cleaning staff.
- The location was significantly north of all the major tourist attractions. The bus stop is near but you will easily lose lots of time commuting or waiting for the bus, which may or may not come on schedule. The first day we were there, the bus drivers were on strike which meant we had to shell out a good chunk of euros to get to the heart of the city.
- The inconsistent communication from the staff. We checked in during the morning and they were nice enough to have a room ready for us, but the woman mentioned that breakfast was being served and invited us to partake - without telling us we would be charged extra for it. At checkout, we thought we had settled our bill and started to leave with the male receptionist stopped us and told us we had to pay. I did not appreciate his suspicious/judgemental tone - as if we were trying to get away without paying our bill.

If we were staying longer we would have complained about the room, but we sucked it up knowing that it was just going to be a couple of nights. Next time, we'll pay a bit more for a hotel that's more centrally located with better accomodations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

What makes this hotel the ideal spot for a visit to Rome is Georgio and his genuine enthusiasm to ensure your stay is memorable. He and his staff go out of their way to provide information, assistance and anything you need during your stay. Being away from the city center is actually a bonus and, the bus stop near the hotel takes you to the main station where you can connect to bus or train to any of the major attractions. The breakfast each morning was wonderful with great choices plus we had dinner at the hotel one evening which was delicious. If you want to feel like you're staying with family, you can't do better than the Hotel delle Muse.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tallahassee, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights here with my wife. This is a hotel with a heart! This was our first trip to Rome and the friendly and informative staff made every effort to make us feel at home. The manager, George, as a matter of course, greets every guest with a smile and seems to take deep satisfaction in providing for your every need. All the directions and tips we received from the front desk, and there were many, were given carefully and accurately. That made our trip so much easier.

Our room was an above average size by European standards and it and the bathroom were clean and well equipped. The free breakfast each morning was bountiful and included both cold and hot items, a choice of a dozen beverages and delicious fresh fruits and pastries. After breakfast, we were often too full for lunch, a great thing if you are traveling on a budget.

One evening, we stopped at the desk after all day touring, and asked for some additional bathroom tissue for the room. Before we could reach the room in the elevator, the housekeeper had already taken care of our request and was waiting for us with a smile and an apology, which was completely unnecessary.

The hotel is located along a pretty wooded residential street with a pharmacy across from it and a tobacco shop, where you can buy international phone cards, a few blocks away. There is a news stand a short walk on the way to the bus stop where you can purchase bus tickets or passes. The area is also home to many fine restaurants within walking distance, just ask at the desk and they'll map them out for you! It is a very safe place to be and we never felt unsafe at night.

Hotel Delle Muse is a little out of the way from the hubbub of the big city, but that is a big plus! After a day of touring you can come home by bus to a clean well lighted place to be greeted by a warm smile, a hot shower and a comfortable bed. We slept like babies every night. If we ever return to Rome, we will definitely return to Hotel Delle Musel. A real gem!

Room Tip: The third floor rooms on the front allow you to open your windows and shutters for a cool breeze and...