“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #277 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
San Francisco, California
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This hotel was one of the nicer ones I've stayed in during my 6 visits to Rome. The decor is certainly old-fashioned but old - they are going for an old world charm and hit it. Staff were very friendly and helpful, lovely views from my room - in short, it's ideal...except it is a little out of the way if you don't like walking a lot. I believe it's about a mile to the Spanish steps and another mile to the Colosseum. However, if you value larger rooms and some peace and quiet when you leave the bustle of central Rome, this could be the ideal spot for you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed here for a business congress and added three days extra onto my stay. It is probably one of the most luxurious hotels I have stayed in and is what I call a proper traditional hotel. It also confirmed a long held view of mine that Italians are amongst the best if not the best hoteliers in the world.

Everyhting is old school from the reception through to the elegant bedrooms. No minimalism hear, just luxury and tradition.

The public spaces including the reception are superb and the staff very friendly.

The location is ideal and its distance from the city centre concerned me at first, but it is only a short taxi ride away or a pleasant walk through the wonderful Borghese gardens and zoological gardens, as a fast walker I could be at the Spanish Steps in less than 20 minutes, but there is always so much to catch your eye and delay you in Rome. The hotel is therefore queit in the evening.

The food was of an exceptional standard.

I booked through a price comparison site and would do so again as I got a very reasonable rate.

Strongly recommend this hotel as it is everyhting a five star hotel should be.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
European Traveller
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Our stay at the Parco dei Principi was truly wonderful and I would certainly rank this hotel amongst the best I have ever stayed in. We had a very comfortable suite of rooms on the top floor which was very grand with an amazing view over the Borghese gardens. The bathroom was large and well equipped with a jacuzzi bath, walk in shower room, dual sinks, separate toilet and a floor to ceiling window to make the best of the special location. The double bed was large and very comfortable and the attention to detail was top notch in every way. We also loved the breakfast experience with a nice buffet and helpful staff. The buffet included cooked aubergines which I don't think I have ever seen on offer for breakfast before. The reception and dining room staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We had dinner in the restaurant on several days and really enjoyed the unhurried relaxing ambience. All in all it was a first class experience regarding the hotel. However, descend to the Spa and you perceive a different ambience, almost as though it's run with a different management ethos by a different team. The Spa itself is first class in terms of its wide ranging and well kept facilities but the staff act more like prison guards than the more usual helpful spa staff that I am used to. I felt a slightly frosty atmosphere on arriving at the Spa's reception and was given a card which let me through a turn style into the changing room. This had over-technical lockers with coloured lights on them. I opened a free one and it started bleeping and flashing and had someone's clothes in it. Shocked, I tried another and the same thing happened. I tried yet another - no clothes this time but I could not make it lock. Eventually on the fourth attempt I found one that worked. After knocking my head badly on a very low badly positioned pole, I started out for the swimming pool. Yet another turn style had to be negotiated but I eventually made it to the pool only to be accosted by the "guard" as I moved forward to talk to my wife who was already in the pool. He told me sternly that I had to shower before getting in the pool. Well, as it happens, I had only just had a bath in our wonderful bathroom upstairs and in any case I habitually shower before I swim. The over jealous nature of the "guard" was unpleasant. After swimming, I had to use my card yet again to get out of the inner area to the changing room. After changing I left the changing room wondering where to put my towel. On approaching the outer secure turn style I had to use my card key again but was met by another "guard" who told me that I had to put my towel in the well disguised hole in the wall for used towels. So, back through the secure turn style yet again to deposit my towel and finally I escaped for the last time through the exit, only to have the card confiscated from me by the guard - I would need to get another card the next time I visited, which unsurprisingly I didn't. Despite the spa experience, which I can only describe as weird and unwelcoming, the rest of the hotel was really fabulous, almost sublime. I would certainly stay in this hotel again and recommend it highly. However, the spa experience needs improvement.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

A multitude of delights awaits, from the futuristic spa facilities to the old fashioned manners of the charming concierges I believe this hotel to be a true delight for so many of the senses. If you would not consider me bold I recommend you enjoy the outdoor pool, a delightful breakfast and a varied spa, if you can persuade yourself to leave the immense comfort of your bed and immaculate decor of the room in which it sits. Should you wish to venture further, the villa borghese, a stone's throw away contains a magnitude of artistic treasures without being as overwhelming and repetitive as so many of the cities attractions can become. If one prefers lighter entertainment the city's zoo is a 5 minute walk away and is well stocked with all manner of creatures great and small. Should one wish to venture into the city centre a free shuttle service is also available.

• Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

On my first trip to Europe with my mother, who in the meantime passed away, we stayed at this marvelous hotel, and it always was on my mind. When my husband asked me where I wanted to go as a birthday present I said Parco dei Principici. It was still as chic and good as I remembered and service is excellent. The drawback is that it is a bit away from the center of town and either you take a taxi, which is a nightmare with the traffic, or the bus which was an experience but you get there faste; but it is also a blessing in disguise, for you can relax and enjoy the wonderful surroundings. We had one dinner at the hotel and it was unfortunately not good at all and very expensive, the breakfasts were excellent. We did not make use of the Spa, were too busy sightseeing.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden and pool
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Hidden paradise! The Parco de Principi Grand Hotel & Spa is an urban oasis as chic as it is discrete situated amid a lush botanical garden. My husband David and I are luxury travel planners with a true passion for extraordinary hotels that offer the ultimate vacation experience and this hotel, designed in the sumptuous style of 17th century patrician villas, is the ultimate urban resort with world-class service and amenities at every turn! Renaissance architecture and the utmost privacy make this sanctuary a favorite of celebrities, politicians, and dignitaries. To add to the overall feel of the resort is the divine pampering at the spa, the elegant indoor pool, and the lushly tropical outdoor pool. The hotel’s Pauline Borghese restaurant is one of the most highly regarded in Rome, offering a beautiful garden view, five-star dining, and a true taste of Rome. Should you venture out from this utopia, you will be steps from St. Peter’s Basilica and the Spanish Steps. When ensconced in the beauty of the hotel and its private grounds, Rome can be as close or as far as you choose!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in June 2014. This hotel is not for everyone - it's a hike from any of the main attractions and squares. But we thought the location was perfect because Rome was bursting at the seams with tourists. The lines to go anywhere were crazy long! The Parco dei Principi is at the northern end of the Villa Borghese in a beautiful area near all the embassies; you can get to it from the city by taking Tram 3, bus 19, bus 217, bus 910 to Mercadente Borghsese and from the city back the same buses to Bioparco plus buses 52 or 53 to Pinciana Allergi. Then it's about a 5 minute walk to the hotel. We had a junior suite (770) overlooking the gardens with a view of St. Peter's. Really nice! The room was huge, clean, had turn down service a night and, overall, the staff was good - not friendly by any means, but good at answering questions. Breakfast is a large buffet in a room straight out of some Austrian or French baroque nightmare but the food itself was good and plentiful. Sit instead on the terrace overlooking the pool - a great way to start the day. We'd definitely go back but again, this hotel due to its location, is not for everyone.

Room Tip: Go for one of the junior suites; they are on the top floors with very nice views and are large.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Parco dei Principi Grand Hotel & SPA? Share your experiences!