“Would stay again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Regina Hotel Baglioni

You added Regina Hotel Baglioni to your Saves list
Regina Hotel Baglioni
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via V. Veneto 72 | Lazio, 00187 Rome, Italy (Ludovisi / Via Veneto)   |
Ranked #117 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Banbridge, United Kingdom
“Would stay again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed in this very impressive hotel with my girlfriend...very well located close to the Spanish Steps. We got a great deal for 3 nights though if paying full price it is very expensive. All in all we both had a great time in Rome and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LucaVirgilio, General Manager at Regina Hotel Baglioni, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Grazie mille for your lovely review and do hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you and your girfriend back soon! Sincerely,
Luca Virgilio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ocean Ridge, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Overall the Regina Baglioni was ideally located, beautiful, elegant with a slightly more modern and sleek décor mixed with classic old world European. However, due to several small issues that shouldn’t be present at this class and price of hotel I wouldn’t stay again or recommend to others. I’ve stayed at other Baglioni hotels that were far superior. If this hotel didn’t claim to be five star, a member of The Leading Hotels of The Word and charge five star rates then I may have been more tolerant and accepting of the minor issues.

LOCATION - The hotel is wonderfully located on picturesque Via Vittorio Veneto and walking distance to many shops, restaurants and sites. A short taxi (or longer walk if you’re up for it) to just about every major site in Rome. The church of bones (Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini”) is steps away and a very interesting visit. The hotel is a very short walk to Borghese Gardens which is like the Central Park of Rome… a huge, beautiful, peaceful and relaxing park - further into the park is Borghese Gallery - a villa/museum / gallery that I highly recommend however, you MUST reserve tickets several days prior to your visit. Escape in the gardens for a few hours to forget you’re in the center of hectic Rome – great place for runners. While this has no bearing on my review of the hotel, many of the restaurants located on Via Vittorio Veneto were lacking in quality for their pricey menus – and we tried several. Another notable point - I disliked the vendors, shop owners and restaurant staff constantly harassing and pressuring pedestrians to purchase or visit their establishment. I started to dread the walk down Via Vittorio Veneto. For “high end” dining establishments this is very low class behavior.

HOTEL AND FOOD : The lobby is very elegant and beautiful and has an adjoining small bar, restaurant and breakfast area. The bar and small restaurant have a great stylish and hip décor. There was another room with a piano, Cafe Baglioni where we enjoyed our daily breakfast and it was one of the most incredibly beautiful and luxurious rooms! We had excellent and friendly service each time we dined. The food downstairs was fantastic and their continental breakfast included a very good selection and quality. We ordered one dinner with room service. Our sandwich was a very large portion, however it had so much mayonnaise that it was inedible and we went to bed hungry.

ROOM - When booking we wanted a queen or king bed (as we are a couple) and we selected the Deluxe Double room – we later reiterated the bed request upon our reservation confirmation prior to arrival. While our room (definitely not a suite) was very small, it was modern, nice and clean. There was a very small desk, one small closet, and two small chairs at the end of the bed – no sitting area. We kept the curtains closed the entire time as the only window faced an exterior wall and windows of another section of the hotel. No view or sunlight. We were pleased that our room looked exactly like their Deluxe Double image on their website (minus the sunlight streaming through the window ) – no photo shopping or exaggerating. The bathroom was fantastic with two sinks, plenty of counter space, great lighting, a powerful full size hair dryer, and a hot and powerful shower. The bed was horrific and the worst I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. We selected the room “Deluxe Double” as the size of the bed is not dramatically different from a queen or king and is sufficient for two people. And I realize in Europe, hotels will often push together two twins and turn it into a king/double. I’ve stayed at other European / Italian hotels that used the two twins to make a king. I’m not sure what these other hotels did to “join” the beds and avoid separation, but I have never had a problem in the past. However, this hotels set up was unacceptable. If you’re a couple trying to sleep together, forget it – these beds easily roll apart and it’s impossible to sleep next to each other unless you both want to squeeze onto one side of the crack and a skinny twin bed! Even one person trying to sleep is forced to remain on one side of the crack – so basically you have a room with a tiny twin bed – totally unacceptable for this price. In the middle of the night, I rolled over in my sleep and fell in the crack and to the floor! We even tried putting tennis shoes / sneakers under the feet of the bed to stop the rolling… it didn’t work. Another night we attempted to slide the two sitting chairs on either side of the bed.. also didn’t work. In addition, for a five star hotel I was shocked at the extremely inferior and uncomfortable blanket on the bed. It was something I would expect soldiers in battle in the 1800’s to use. Extremely rough, scratchy, utilitarian, ugly and very uncomfortable. We took it off the bed every night. The hotel soundproofing is extremely poor… we easily heard everyone passing in the hallway and guests in the room next to us. Our AC was not very cool and on two nights our room was stuffy and hot. On three occasions our room key cards didn’t work and we had to return to the lobby. On another occasion the key card to turn on the lights wouldn’t work (You must leave your key card inside a wall slot near the door for the electricity to work).

We knew guests in another room and received some of their feedback. They agreed with the horrible twin bed situation and terribly scratchy and uncomfortable blanket. However, they were a bit messy and would leave their clothes on the floor - apparently, housekeeping didn’t like that because on two days when they returned to the room all of their clothes from the floor were piled in the bidet! I walked to their room and witnessed this with my own eyes! I can understand housekeeping’s frustration with trying to tidy up a messy room but that is unacceptable!

Unless you’re getting an extremely amazing discount on room rates or if you are going to pay for the much larger suite hopefully with a real bed, nicer blankets, view, different housekeeping staff, better soundproofing and working key cards then this hotel is not worth your money. There are many other hotels that are far superior for comparable rates. I’m very accepting, understanding and forgiving of occasional and uncontrollable issues in any establishment, but for this class and rate, to have all of these issues combined is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a much larger suite and better view if possible! Smaller rooms are... small! And stress...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest thank you for your unbias review. While we scored high points on several fields we did fail in the most important one which is sleep.... Indeed some of our rooms are equipped with twin mattresses put together alas we have also a cover that wraps them together covering the split and keeping them tight... feels like a king bed and do not feel the gap. it is apparent your room was not equipped with this, an unfortunate oversight. For the key cards not opening you are righ we are eperiencing a bad batch of faulty keys cards that we have terminated... I know my answers do not make it better alas if you are coming back do get in contact me directly and will make sure I will be upgrading you to a nice Suite. With apologies and wishing you a great remainder of summer, Luca Virgilio
huntersville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A lovely hotel overall. The rooms were incredibly spacious, clean, well-lit, and nicely decorated. The staff was for the most part very attentive and friendly. Check-in did take quite a while. Not sure why, possibly short-staffed at the time we arrived, and both people in front of seemed to taking longer than normal. The lobby was very pretty. The bar was expensive, but the staff was friendly and we received a very nice tray of free appetizers.

The bed was very comfortable and we had no issue with our room being too hot if we did not leave the key like another reviewer said. And it was HOT when we were there.

The buffet breakfast was pretty substantial with hot and cold items, and they even had a small area that was labeled gluten-free.

The elevators are small and one of them was broken for about 1/2 of our 2 day stay. The other one broke.... with myself, my husband, my son and another guest and her baby. We were stuck between 2 floors for about 40 minutes, until finally we convinced the lady from Malta that she could fit through the opening at the top of the elevator which was the bottom of floor 3. We all managed to get out safely. Now in America, you would assume someone would take a report. In Italy, apparently not. We all just left and went back to our rooms. In our litigious-happy country, we are bombarded with ads and other media that if something goes wrong, it’s someone’s fault, and we should be compensated. Sometimes things just go wrong…anything electrical eventually fails, and hopefully when it does you don’t go crashing down 3 floors or get cut in half as you crawl out of the elevator and it falls.

On checkout the next morning, I did mention that we were one of the families stuck, and we received a nice apology from the manager and one free night stay. OK, I'll take it. Another great story to share – how many people can say they were stuck in an elevator?

We had three rooms between our group and they got two correct. One of the rooms needed seperate beds and they were initially put in a very small room with only one bed. It was straightened out, but only after several hours of waiting for another room to open up. We all got double deluxe rooms and there was a difference in sizes of all of them. I think maybe the final room was not what we paid for, but it was late and we just took it.

I was able to use my signature Visa and got a discount of about 25% off the best rate I could find elsewhere. We also received $25 bar credit per room, free in-room wifi, and free breakfast. You have to book it using it. I booked through Kiwi collections to get this rate.

I think some of the shortfalls in my eyes were because I am comparing them to other "5-star hotels" in the US. To me, part of the adventure of traveling is realizing that things can go wrong, and your reaction and the response of where you are staying, the waiters, whatever, is what you should judge, not the fact that it went wrong.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Because of the small elevators and their tendecy to break, I would recommend a room on a lower floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LucaVirgilio, General Manager at Regina Hotel Baglioni, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest thanks for your nice posting and sense of adventure! Indeed so sorry for the inconvenience with the lift and have to say you were commendable and thanks for your understanding. We truly hope we will have the pleasure of having you back soon and send you our kith kindest regards and wishing you a great summer, Luca Virgilio
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

From the minute you enter the Via Veneto and head up the hill, you know the position of this hotel is second to none. When you arrive at the hotel, you are greeted warmly by the doorman and escorted into one of the most charming foyers I've ever seen. The restaurant is stunning and the decor so suiting the 16th century architecture. The rooms are large and also stunning, with ornate wall paper and furnishings. We welcomed the comfortable beds and a large double sink bathroom.

The Via Veneto is so pretty and lined with boutiques and restaurants. In fact, we would sit outside in one of the glass enclosed restaurants and people watch for hours.

The Regina Baglioni is a Virtuoso hotel participant, and as a Virtuoso guest, I got an automatic upgrade, late check out, breakfast included and free Wi-Fi. So if you want to stay here, book through a Virtuoso affiliated travel agent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest thanks ever so much for your lovely posting and nice words. So happy you enjoyed your time with us and very much look forward to welcoming many more Virtuoso Guests :-)
With kindest regards and wishing you a great summer, Luca Virgilio
park city, utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed 2 seperate times during our trip to italy, at this lovely, well located hotel in Rome. Small hotel with attentive staff, not in the noisier spanish steps area but a quick 7 min walk, even better it is only a few blocks from the borghese - gardens, park and villa/gallerie. Our teenagers rented segways and zipped around the park. The hotel downside - our two rooms had trouble maintaining air conditioning and If you go out for the day and still wish to have your air conditioning remain on you must leave a room key in the slot that turns the lights and a/c on.

Room Tip: Rooms 607 & 608 keep an eye on a/c during hotter days - set to 18 and high fan - there are two t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LucaVirgilio, General Manager at Regina Hotel Baglioni, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest, thnk you for your posting and glad you and your Family enjoyed Both visits with us and sorry for the a/c issues which have now been resolved and temperature will stay on at the set temperature left by Guest regardless if room key is in the slot or not. Apparently it was a fauly setting on your floor... Apologies and we do hope to seeing you back on your next visit to Rome,
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spent two nights in room 510 on a tour. The hotel was very nice, but not the best I've ever stayed at.

The rooms are beautiful and ornate; however, they are quite small and we had a poor view. The bathroom was gorgeous, but unfortunately had a combined shower and bath. I felt like the room could have been cleaner, but it was not dirty.

The concierge was very accommodating and the staff was helpful.

I thought the hotel was in a very good location on via veneto. This is a nice hotel to stay at when in Rome, but probably not the absolute best.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, grazie for your posting and glad you enjoyed your pre cruise stay with us... Enjoy a fantastic summer and hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again upon your return to the eternal city.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Regina Baglioni is a known hotel in a good location, but there are minor things that make me want to try another hotel next time I am in Rome. We got bitten by mosquitos during the night. Not happy. Food is a bit over priced, but staff were friendly and helpful.
Bed was comfy and bathroom was huge.
Wonderful location with walking distance to the Trevi Fountain & Spanish Steps.
Spas services cannot be charged to your room - be prepared to take cash down

Room Tip: Watch out for mozzies!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LucaVirgilio, General Manager at Regina Hotel Baglioni, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your posting and sorry for the mosquitos in your room... of course we have products available to fix the problem and woul dhave been very happy to assist with... Glad that otherwise you found all the rest to your liking. With kindest regards,
Luca Virgilio

Been to Regina Hotel Baglioni? Share your experiences!