“The beauty is only skin deep” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

You added Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora to your Saves list
Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Vittorio Veneto 191, 00187 Rome, Italy (Ludovisi / Via Veneto)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #152 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Ma
“The beauty is only skin deep”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

First - and I hope the hotel reads this - two twin beds pushed together do not a king make. Period.

Also, the beds were lumpy, the pillows (one per twin bed) were flat and tired, the blankets (yup, no down comforters at $500+ per night) were thin and worn. For some reason our bedspreads were removed on the first day and never re-appeared.

The breakfast buffet was truly terrible: unripe fruit, cold coffee, second-rate pastries. For us, it was included in the room rate but we didn't bother with it after the first morning. They do have one of the truly great beauties of Rome working there but even Massimo's smile and charm couldn't cover up such poor food and shoddy service.

And I hate having to have call room service for ice.

On the plus side...

Our room overlooked Villa Borghese and the hotel building is beautiful and in a good location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room quality
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room on the 4th floor or higher with a view into Villa Borghese.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Greek first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

This was a great place to stay while visiting Rome, we would highly recomend it. My wife and I stayed there for 6 nights and it was a terrific location with a terrific staff. It is on the Via Venetto and right outside of the Villa Borguese Park, where I went running every morning and you have one of Fodor's pick for museums in Rome. Other places, the farthest walk you will ever have is 30 minutes and that is to the Vatican. We planned our walking trips around different paths to make the walk worth while. Addtionally, the hotel is down the street from the US Embassy.
The room that we were in was huge, probably one of the largest hotel rooms we had stayed at. One reviewer said that the JW Marriott was better on Capri and you really can't compare. We liked Capri and the JW Marriott there better, but I would attribute that to personal taste. Also, the business center computers are free. A rarity for any hotel.
A suggestion, Rome is a noisy City and if you are a light sleeper then I suggest try to get an inside room. While it is going to be darker during the day, it will be quieter and who cares if you are gone looking at the sites most of the days. If you are on an outside room, like us, then make sure you close the heavy draperies at night they will insulate the sound. The Beds are not the new Marriott beds, but the International Hotels usually lag behind the American. We had a King size bed, but was really 2 twins pushed together, a European thing.
We would definately stay there again while visiting Rome, however our next trip will to return to Capri to stay at the JW Marriott.

• Liked — The Location and the size of the rooms
  • Disliked — The noise from the City
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are a light sleeper, request an inside room. While from certain perspectives they are less desirable, they are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2006

We used Marriott points to stay at the Grand Flora in early Sept. Hotel rates were running about 600-800 Euro per night at the time. We have Platinum status with Marriott and were surprised at the lack of service received at the hotel. We stayed at a sister hotel in Capri (JW Marriott) prior to this visit and compared to the Capri hotel, this Marriott did not even come close. First, there is major excavation construction going on the road in front of the hotel so the famous Via Veneto is in total chaos. This construction goes on for about a block. Traffic congestion is a problem due to the construction and the noise is ridiculous.The front desk clerk tried placing us in a standard room on the ground floor and it took some pushing to get moved to a room higher up so we did not have to hear the non-stop constuction jack hammers (this construction work takes place all night, by the way). Once we got into our room, the AC was not working. It took three phone calls to the front desk and finally a visit to the front desk to get it fixed. We had to call the front desk twice to get a wine opener and ice. It took 30 minutes to get that delivered. The rooms are nicely decorated but very small compared to most luxury 5-star hotels in Rome. We were told our room was a larger room. We ran into a couple on their honeymoon and they said their room was very small as well. The bed was firm and comfortable but they only had one down pillow on the bed, which down/feather pillows are pretty much standard at Marriotts around the world. While all our issues were resolved, the amount of time and energy spent on them made the stay less enjoyable. If you have to pay for a room here, I would recommend you choose another luxury hotel in Rome.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

I booked my trip as a group, however it turned out I only needed 2 rooms, 1 double and 1 triple. Thank GOD I got there before my guest because they did not have my reservation.

They cleared everything up and I thought my trip to Rome would be perfect. I was wrong!

To cut to the chase, my last night as I was getting dressed for bed I saw my tote bag open and money hanging out. I thought that was strange because I had the pocket closed and money in that bag for over 6 weeks. Well, the theft let me with $11 American dollars. That is where all the nastiness started.

I went down to the front desk to complain where I was told that could have been because the staff there had been there for over 30 years. After that it was a series of am I sure I had the money, I should not have left it in my bag, maybe I left it in the other room...

And, yes it gets worse, the next morning when I went to breakfast I put the DO NOT ENTER light on. When I came back from breakfast there were 2 women with the room to my door open. I had to stare them down for them to tell me who they were. I thought this was not professional, as sercuity they should have known better.

This hotel was in a good location for me, but after all of that I will NEVER stay here again!!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — There was a theft among the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Be careful!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

We like to stay at the marriott when we travel due to the high standard of service, comfortable rooms and the acceptance and treatment of young children. We were disappointed by our stay here. We had two rooms and while they were a good size there were no sumptous white beds. The beds were uncomfortable and the pillows flat. The airconditioner did not work on our last night and after several calls to the front dest no one came to fix the problem. We found the service in the hotel to be very eratic.

The breakfast was almost unedible and the scrambled eggs tasted like custard. We came to Italy for the food!!! Did not eat at the hotel after the poor standard of breakfast.

The location is (suposedly) prestigious but a long distance from the sights of the city, so next time we will stay somewhere more central and lively. There is also no pool at this hotel (we knew this when we booked) and in retrospect we should have stayed at a hotel with a pool as at the end of a big day of walking, you really need a swim. The fitness room was also very small and very limited.

The hotel is in need of an update and is starting to look scruffy and dark. It was expensive to stay here and for the money we would not stay here again and I am sorry to say I would not stay here if we could use points either. We are big fans of the Marriott just not this hotel.

• Disliked — The hotel was not up to Marriott standard
  • Tips/Secrets — Around the corner is a small cafe/ take away with the best gelati in Rome - try the mixed berry
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

My wife and I spent one night at the Marriott Grand Flora on May 27th, 2006. Overall, we had a wonderful stay in spite of being bumped our first night in Rome.

We were originally booked to spend two nights at the Flora beginning on May 26th. Unfortunately, upon arrival, the hotel informed us that they were overbooked and needed to move us to another hotel for the night. While we were obviously frustrated at having to change hotels after a nearly 16 hour trip (door-to-door) from the USA, the hotel clearly recognized our inconvenience and went out of its way to ensure we were made as comfortable as possible. The hotel found us another room at a hotel that was arguably even ritzier (Hotel Exedra), comped our breakfasts on both days, sent up wine and chocolate for us to enjoy after dinner, and upgraded our room to a Junior Suite facing Via Veneto and Villa Borghese. Our compliments to shift leader Marco Calderone who took responsibility for the hotel's error and made sure we were well taken care of.

Location: Once we finally got settled into the Flora, we discovered a very nice hotel in a great location. Even though many Rome guidebooks says that Via Veneto is past its prime, the street is still gorgeous with many little sidewalk cafes and fancy hotels. I haven't always felt safe in my past trips to Rome, however I felt completely comfortable safe walking around near Via Veneto.

Hotel: The hotel itself is gorgeous - the lobby and exterior are manicured to perfection. As some other reviewers have noted, the furniture in the rooms IS a little bit older, however it didn't really detract from my overall impression of the hotel. The room had some nice features I don't always expect to find in Europe - safe, actual shower curtain, wash clothes, & heated towel bar. Our Junior Suite was basic junior suite fare - one room with a bed and one with a sitting area. Great for a free upgrade although probably not worth the $200+ add'l charge over a standard room if you are paying. Having windows facing Via Veneto didn’t realize bother us - it's no more noisy than staying in midtown Manhattan.

Transportation: Directly across the street from the hotel is an underground tunnel which leads to the Spagna subway stop on line A. That said, the hotel doesn't really have the greatest access to public transit. It's a pretty good walk to the actual train (approx. 15-20 minute). We took taxis both to/from the train station. Other sites, such as the Trevi Fountain and Pantheon are approx. 20 minutes away on foot. We used the metro to get to the Vatican (Ottoviano stop) and Coliseum (transfer at Termini) to line B. We felt very safe on the metro - no problems with pick pockets although we were extremely cautious. I'd say the Flora is fairly centrally located to tourist spots in Rome so I doubt a cab ride just about anywhere would cost you more than 8-10 euros.

Food: As noted above, we had the Flora's buffet breakfast both days. The Nutella croissants were amazing! Fresh fruit and cereal were also pretty good. Maybe not worth the 13-14 euros per day that they charge but if it's included in your room, it's a wonderful extra.

Other: There' s a supermarket in the tunnel that leads to the Spagna subway stop. It's nice for picking up stuff you might have forgotten home (i.e. makeup) or other creature comforts (i.e. cheap Cokes & fruit).

Overall, my wife and I had a wonderful stay at the Flora. If you want to pay for a great location at a very nice hotel in Rome, the Flora is definitely your place.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Grand Flora as part of our honeymoon to Italy. We were previously at the new Marriott in Capri and this hotel just does not compare. The hotel room was rather outdated. We had requested an upgrade almost a year before. When we checked into our room it was tiny and they had pushed 2 beds together. We found this unacceptable. My husband was able to get our room changed. They were not that willing at first so he had to finally get a manager who then put us in a suite. It is Europe so the rooms are smaller than in the states but it was still a pretty big room. The noise from the street at night was a bit disturbing but the location of the hotel was great. Its in a very nice section of Rome. The bedding at the hotel definitley needs upgrading. The mattresses were very uncomfortable and hard. The sheets and comforter were outdated. They need to upgrade to the new down comforters. The free internet access was wonderful and it is right off of the lobby. All in all the hotel served our purpose for sightseeing in Rome but could use a fresh makeover in the rooms. Definitley a hotel more geared towards the business traveler.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora? Share your experiences!