“Catholman” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Principe Amedeo 5B, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #405 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Limerick City
“Catholman”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My sister and I had a very pleasant stay here last week. I have been to Roma many times but this was my sister's first time and my first (and definitely not last ) time at The Universo. We arrived late at night and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist ( Anna Maria ). When the porter brought us to our room it had a double bed and we had requested a twin room so the porter told us to wait while he went back to have a word at reception, when he returned he told us that we were being upgraded to a Junior Suite......and WOW what a suite it was.....absolutely excellent....a lounge area with an upstairs bedroom AND a balcony :) All the times I've been to Roma, I've never had a balcony. It was just superb. I can totally recommend The Universo Hotel.....the location is great.....the breakfast was very good.....the staff were very pleasant.....again a very special "Grazie" to Anna Maria......who is the most friendly receptionist I have ever met in Roma. All in all everything was top class. :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Catholman, thank you very very much for your kind review and nice photos.
It's nice to know you have enjoyed everything about your stay at our hotel.
I would also like to thank you on behalf of Annamaria for the lovely compliments you've addressed to her.
From what you write we will have the chance to serve you on your next trip to Roma which hopefully will occur very soon.
Arrivederci!

750 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here March 15th through March 23rd, 2012.

The hotel was ready for us promptly at check-in time. We'd booked six months in advance and requested a room with a balcony, and that is precisely what we were checked in to. I was worried about the condition of the hotel after reading some of the earlier reviews, but my worries were groundless.

The room itself (room 723) was small, as other posters have indicated. It was a square about 18x18 feet with a small, attached bathroom. There was no "in-room" safe, but there were instructions that we could ask for a laptop safety box from the front desk. We did not get one, but experienced no issues leaving our laptop and other electronic devices out in plain site during the day.

The hotel seems to be going for a contemporary feel, so there were no drawers at all in the room. Our nightstands were a glass shelf on either side of the bed. The desk was another glass shelf on the other side of the room. There was one armoire-styled closet with shelves.

From other poster's pictures, I expected a bidet, but it's actually a low sink alongside of the toilet. The showers did not leak as I'd read previously. However, the showerhead points towards the glass door, so your choice is either to close the door behind you before turning on the shower (and thus enduring the initial blast of cold water for two seconds) or lean in and turn it on first, which gets the floor wet. LOL! Something I really liked about the bathroom was the towel warmers - a metal rack on the wall attached to the hot water pipes, which housekeeping hangs your clean towels on. That was a nice touch.

Breakfast everyday consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, small sausages, a range of fresh fruits (peaches, kiwi, prunes, etc.) croissants, cereals. I enjoyed it, although if you're going to stay here for any length of time, you'll eventually get tired of it. I was full everyday. We would usually go down for breakfast around 7:30 or 8 in the morning and all was wonderful. One day we woke up early because of a reservation we had and went down at 6:30. The hot foods (eggs, meats, etc.) were not yet out. But, the coffee, fruits, and breads were available. I got the impression that it was normal to not put the hot foods out until about 7 am.

The hotel is within easy, easy walking distance to Termini. Walk one street to the right, then two streets to the left and you're there. Yes, you CAN walk to the historic sites, and we DID, but it was a serious hike. We purchased a week-long metro pass, and took the subway to and from everywhere. The metro shows up every 2 minutes, and it saved us a TON of energy for walking around the sites. It was very fast and convenient. Riding the subway allowed us to really feel like Romans and less like a tourist.

Overall, I would say the hotel gave us a good value for our money. We got the early-bird online special, so the price was right. The location was good (north-west side of Termini) and we never felt uncomfortable, even when returning to the hotel late at night - 10 pm or so. If you're staying in Rome for any length of time, I would recommend the location, but I would probably prefer to stay in a less "contemporary" styled hotel. Also, if you're only in Rome for a couple of days, you may want to stay closer to the historic sites as opposed to walking or riding the subway. Again, it didn't take a lot of time, and I really enjoyed it - but if you have LIMITED time, you'll want to stay closer to the historic center.

Room Tip: My husband is a smoker, so we asked for a room with a balcony. This was nice because it was warm in...
hertzlia israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

we just returned from a 3 day's stay at the universo hotel, we found it to be good value for money,breakfast was only nice- no vegetables.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Room was bigger than expected for Rome (and Europe) hotels. Breakfast was fair, not outstanding. Service in the hotel was also average. Negative aspects: no internet on our room, because of the location of the room (in the end of the hotel), we should go downstairs to get wi-fi internet. Breakfast could also be improved, breads were hard, coffee was from a capuchino machine (around the world OK, but not in Italy).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear RafaelGrottoli, thanks very much for your review.
We were glad to read that your stay with us was average comfortable, please accept our apologies for the inconviences with the wi-fi connection of which we are aware however we are glad to inform you that it's been finally fixed.
We apologize also if you did not enjoy our breakfast service in full, but, referring to the coffee machines, we would like to underline that, if one of our customers dislike them, it's absolutely possible to be served by our staff with every desired hot beverage (espresso coffee, capuccino, tea etc. etc. ) at the table.
Thank you once again for your precious comments, we are looking forward to another occasion to have you here.
Kind regards.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

having just returned from a weeks stay at the universo hotel,i found it to be good value for money,on our arrival we did not have the room we booked and were disappointed,when we brought this to the hotels attention our room was changed the next day which we were more than happy with,breakfast was also very good with lots to choose from,don't understand the negative comments regarding breakfast on some reviews.i would definately return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel and were a bit worried then when we read some reviews!!!! I am quite a fussy person so if I'm staying away from home I like it to be 2 things - reasonably priced and clean!!!! Arriving at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised - reception area and staff very welcoming - we were on the 7th floor and our room was very clean and comfortable - king size bed - tv - mini bar - desk - wardrobe - beautiful bathroom with bath and overhead shower - we had no problem accessing the free wifi either! Breakfast in the morning was ok - but that's not the hotels fault - I like my own cereal etc so that's not a criticism to the hotel - fresh fruit - which I did enjoy - along with various breads - cold meats - hot foods etc were all available at all times.
Location wise - we were only a few minutes walk from the Termini and maybe 10 minutes from the Trevi Fountain which was a perfect distance - close enough but far enough if you know what I mean!!!
Rome itself is very expensive but my stay at this hotel was not and would have no hesitation in booking this again!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Jasonalison,
thank you very very much for your lovely comment. We are content for having accomplished to your requests by making your vacation in Rome comfortable, up to your expectations and, hopefully, one to remember for all times.
We certainly are looking forward to welcome you again at our hotel very soon.
Arrivederci, a presto.
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Best Western Universo was recommended by our travel agent. When I first arrived in front of the hotel, the street was a bit narrow and the facade was unimpressive. I felt bad that I did not fully check with tripadvisor on this hotel. Upon entering, however, the receptionist were quite helpful. While the hotel looks old, it had undergone good renovation and upgrade. The rooms were OK and its restaurant and dining hall were very satisfactory.

From the outside, the hotel was not impressive but, pleasant surprise in the inside, its service and facilities as quite good for me. The staff is very helpful. I liked their breakfast serving. I enjoyed my stay in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear Patersoneditha, congratulations for the beautiful picture and thank you for putting on line on TripAdvisor.
We are very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you also for having shared your satisfaction with us and the community.
We are looking forward to another chance to host you.
A presto.
Roscioli Hotels Group - Rome

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Universo? Share your experiences!