“Excellent Experience, Highly Recommend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Rome

You added The St. Regis Rome to your Saves list
The St. Regis Rome
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3, Via Vittorio Emanuele Orlando, 00185 Rome, Italy (Castro Pretorio)   |
Ranked #84 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
“Excellent Experience, Highly Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at the St. Regis Rome. It had great views, great rooms, great services, the only downside was the extremely busy location. As we pulled up to the hotel, staff immediately opened the doors to the taxi to help us out and grabbed our luggage to bring it to our rooms. The checkin experience was also excellent. The staff brought showed us to our rooms and helped us to get settled in. As it was a family trip, we did have two rooms, both of which were fabulous. The larger of the two rooms was the nicest room in the building, and was called "Couture Ambassador Suite." It was located on the corner of the building, so it was quieter and had multiple views. The foyer and hallway leading to the living room was very impressive. It was furnished with a beautiful side table and a chandelier. Along the walls there were pictures of all of the celebrities who had stayed in the room before. The hallway opens up to a beautiful and modern living room. The first thing you notice is the huge desk. In front of the desk is a couch, and in the center of the room is a glass coffee table. On the other side of the table are two chairs with side tables. The TV is also on that side of the room. One of the important factors of this room is the three huge windows that provide lots of natural light. For additional lighting there is a huge designer chandelier, and a couple of lamps. Throughout the room there are many tall bookcases and modern photos and paintings. At the other end of the room, there are double sliding doors that lead into the bedroom. The bedroom is amazing. A lounge chair sits at the foot of the king-sized bed, and to both sides there are nightstands with reading lamps. Above the bed there is an impressive and huge painting. Again, a huge window provided natural light, and a huge designer chandelier provided additional light along with several lamps throughout the room. A TV sat in one corner, next to a small statue and the window. In the other corner there is a table with a lamp and a minibar, which sits next to the closet and bathroom doors. The closet is not too big, but not small either. The hotel provides hangars, a safe, and drawers to put clothes in. The bathroom includes a double sink, a separate bath and shower, a toilet, a bidet, and a make up station. Overall, I was pleased with the Ambassador Suite. The smaller room was also very nice. Because it was so much smaller, there was no foyer or hallway. The door opened directly into the living room. The living room had a couch with a wooden coffee table. The couch faces a TV and a cabinet that contains a minibar and a safe. The desk, facing the large window, is very beautiful. The two windows in this room contain very unique features. They both have switches to raise and lower the shades, and when you go to sleep, you can create a blackout environment. From the living room, you can go through a doorway to get to the bedroom. Built in nightstands are on both sides of the king sized bed, and a make up stand sits against the wall on one side. On the other side there is another window. The bathroom and closet doors are next to the makeup stand. The closet was not too big, but it was not small either. The hotel provides hangars and drawers for you to put your stuff in. The bathroom is pretty large. It included a double sink, separate bath and showers, a toilet, and a bidet. Although this room was not nearly as nice or as big as the Ambassador SUite, it was still very nice. The service for both rooms was excellent. We had a butler service, and whenever we needed him he was there with a smile. We were pleased with the efficiency of the butler. He set up dinner reservations for us, found ratings of places around town, set up private tours for us, and even would call taxis. He also would bring us room service and snacks. The cleaners were also very good. The beds would always be made and even if we hadn't used all our soap, for example, they would replace it with a new one. Down Service also was good. In the evening, they would come and change the towels, provide slippers and face masks, and close the curtains and set up the beds. The last service I can think of is concierge. They were very nice and helpful when we were locked out of our room. They brought new cards up for us immediately. As I said earlier, the location was OK. It was a tolerable walk to most famous landmarks, but It was very noisy. If you live in a major city the noise will seem normal, but I live in the suburb around the city and the noise took some getting used to. Finally, the amenities. The amenities were very good. Both the bath and the shower were stocked with shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. The sinks had lotions and soaps, and a center tray was filled with cotton balls, nail filers, and face wash. Eye masks were provided for the bath as well as a scrubber. At the desk, there was a notepad, pen, envelopes and cards. Fresh fruit was provided daily. Overall, as a frequent user of SPG hotels and the St. Regis in particular, I was very pleased and this hotel stayed true to other St. Regis' I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Your room depends on your budget. The more money you are willing to spend, the better room you will...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Due to my husband’s elevated status with another hotel loyalty program, we do not usually book chain hotels when we travel; however, the St. Regis Rome seemed to have the elements that we desired for this trip so we decided to stay there. Since we are not spg members we did not receive an upgrade or any exceptional treatment; however, we did receive good treatment for people who book at the St. Regis.

The pros of our stay include:

The location of the hotel – Granted, it is not as central to the city and the major tourist attractions and restaurants as other hotels, but it was a short walk to almost everything. The only time we took a taxi was when we went to Vatican City and returned (and the return taxi happened halfway during our walk back to the hotel due to the rain). We even walked back to the hotel after a very late dinner and visit to Trevi Fountain.

The hotel property – The hotel is as beautiful and enchanting as others have described it. It is a great classic/contemporary blend (e.g. the old fashion working elevator and the contemporary zen like spa). And, although this was largest hotel that we stayed in while we were in Italy, it never seemed crowded or overwhelming.
The room – Absolutely beautiful! We stayed in a spacious imperial room. This is one of those hotel rooms that does not feel like a hotel, but somewhat homey. There was a beautiful fsco on the ceiling and artwork on the walls. The room had furniture and other touches that made it feel comfortable, yet classic (like staying at a rich relative’s home ;-). The bathroom was huge and had a sitting area with a mirror. The imperial rooms also came with a butler…I never use these types of services, but my husband and I had a few requests (e.g. ice, afternoon tea, extra hangers) and the butler was very pleasant and helpful.

Hotel amenities – We had the breakfast buffet once and it was good. It had the usual offerings and some unexpected ones (e.g. the tropical juices, frozen coffee machine). One problem was that the two-top tables barely accommodated a pot of tea, a pot of coffee, cups, plates, and utensils. The hotel bar and staff were fabulous. The staff always greeted you with a smile and welcomed you back whether you were having an afternoon snack or after dinner drink. I didn’t use the gym, but my husband did and it seemed to be well equipped and satisfied his needs. We used the business center a few times after we received suggestions from the concierge and wanted to review them before making decisions. We never saw anyone in there except the staff and we were able to take full advantage of the facilities.

The concierge – I usually don’t need to use the concierge because I book all of my activities and dining options in advance, but I wanted to confirm some of the options and get the concierge’s opinions of my choices. One of the members of the concierge staff was very opinionated and somewhat aggressive in his suggestions (not necessarily in a bad way). There was another member of the staff who was more laid back and less forceful in his suggestions. Both gave us good dining suggestions and helped us during our stay.The cons of our stay include:

Although I made all of the arrangements in my name (my husband and I do not share the same surname), when we arrived, the person who checked us in said that he would put everything in my husband’s name. While I have no problem with my husband’s name on the registry (which is what I request), I do have a problem with completely removing my name and solely addressing him in correspondence. When small gifts were left in our room, they were only addressed to him; and, when we received the survey after the visit, that too was solely addressed to him (but sent to
my e-mail address). Whether or not they were sure of our martial status (although that was mentioned clearly upon arrival), they should acknowledge all of their guests.

Another minor issue, that may be related to the abovementioned concern, is that once there was a decision to change the name on the registry, our keys no longer worked for our room and we had to return to the front desk for new keys after a long day of touring.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to others and would probably stay there again when I return to Rome. Again, I do not feel that we necessarily received “special” or “great” service, I think that we received the type of service that is expected of a St. Regis level/type hotel.

Room Tip: Having a room with a butler really enhances your stay...the butlers are great and friendly and very...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, General Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
We have read with great interest your honest and detailed feedback and we are sure that it will be the same for all the TripAdvisor community.
We take our Guests' comments very seriously and we always try to get useful information to modify and enhance our level of service. So we will certainly follow up on your suggestion about the name of the partner in any correspondence during and after our Guests' stay. The survey is sent to the name/e.mail address indicated in the reservation profile and this, unfortunately, is not modifiable.
We trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Italy, in order to have a chance to delight you with unexpected surprises.
Best regards,
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Checks all the boxes - rooms, location, service, food. This is a lovely property. Highly recommended.

If you're a craft beer lover, try Bir & Fud (Via Benedetta 23, +39 06 589 4016) for excellent local and international selections and a wonderfully creative menu.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, General Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your encouraging feedback. We especially appreciate that you have noticed the original 1894 lift, which was designed and built by Cesar Ritz and registered as the 13th modern elevator of the era in Rome. This unique heritage piece was motioned initially by a hydraulic pump system utilizing water of the adjacent 16th century Moses Fountain. Today the same shell - or “rising room” as the elevator was named at the time - equipped with the latest technology is still fully operating and we are glad that you mention it!
We look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely room, good location, grand palace of a hotel. Room had a comfortable bed, bathroom and was fitting out I 19 century Italian style. We had a nice view, windows opened, there is AC in the room -unnecessary during our stay.
Round the corner from the baths of Diocletian and Palazzo Massimo. Entry tickets get you in to both, so hang on to it.
Great recommendations from the concierge. Breakfast was good. They made you feel as if you were staying in a grand house.
I would love to come and stay again!!! Would love it even more if there was a kettle in the room to make my much wanted herbal tea, also wifi for free.... Annoying to not have it. I guess Italian palaces were not made for this.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Indeed, the St. Regis Hotel is a true palace and an institution in the Eternal city; as such we have the great responsibility to stand by its great reputation.
We are honored by your recognition and we also thank you for your suggestions; they will be kept into consideration in our continuous effort to improve and evolve our product and service.
It would be our pleasure to welcoming you back on your next visit; although kettles are not part of our in-room standards, our Butler team, available for all imperial accommodations and suites categories would spoil you with hot and cold beverage, at your preference, at any time.

Kindest regards
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The staff at the St. Regis Rome was excellent. I received a sincere welcome from the moment the taxi pulled up to the entrance. I would like to give special attention to Pasquale - Concierge Andrea - Front Desk and Michele in the Vivendo Restaurant. The service and care provided by these hoteliers was superb and really made my stay in Rome exceptional. The hotel also offers a fully stocked breakfast buffet and the cook to order omelette station was great as well as the Chef completing the orders. The old world air of days gone by with the original elevator from 1904 was very charming.

Room Tip: try to reserve a Deluxe or Imperial room for more space
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Pasquale, Andrea, Michele and Cristiano are touched by your truly rewarding comments. The St. Regis Hotel, born by the genius of Cesar Ritz in 1894, represents one of the most prestigious addresses in Rome. Distinguished Guests - today, as in the past - enjoy the luxury and style of a true roman palace and appreciate the discreet and flawless service of a dedicated team of people, well aware of the privilege of working in such a unique environment.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope that you will treasure the good memories until the next visit.
Most sincerely,
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have stayed at many of the 'luxury' properties in Italy, and this one has to be the best of the group. we booked a normal room using Starwood points, and were given a slight upgrade to a room overlooking the inner courtyard. This was great because noise became a non-factor. The room was quite large, in fact my wife had her own dressing room complete with desk and makeup mirrors. The staff was great, some work can be done with the outside front staff, but everyone else was incredible. Will stay here again in a heartbeat my next trip to Rome.

Room Tip: Inside courtyard room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for electing the St. Regis hotel as your unique address when traveling to Rome. We are very pleased that your accommodation was comfortable and quiet and you could enjoy a peaceful rest. We are also grateful about your comments about the staff, they will not go unheard.
So, all we can add is … Arrivederci!
San Bruno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

this review is long overview but i thought it is still good to write a review. I planned to take the economic way by taking the train from FCO to Termini so I wrote emails to the concierge of the hotel to make inquiries to gauge cost and distance. I was very pleased of how quick i get a response. However, did not get accurate information, what was supposedly a 10-minute walk from Termini took way longer than that. We pulled in nightime so it was twice harder finding location/streets. The next day and other days following when we were better associated of the way to/from the hotel to the metro, it was more like a quick stroll.
About the hotel experience. The room and bathroom was clean and well kept. The room is, I suppose big for European standards. I love the comfy bed. The bathroom has with a separate tub and shower. There is nice LCD TV but not much to watch but news or MTV as most channels available were only available in Italian.
The hospitality staff were great and courteous with their guest.I reserved this hotel months and months ahead. I'm an SPG Gold member and had booked my hotel stay for free. No complaint since I didn't have to pay using my points but I was expecting a better room being a program member. Typically, SPG hotels offer a preferred member room. I was not offerred one. I was stuck in a room almost at the very end of the hall. Room has a big window but we had closed the whoele time. There was no view but walls of other buildings. There is wi-fi available but with a fee which I find ricidulous for hotel such as this one with a pricey rate. I had ordered a dinner ont time because I came back from a day trip late and did not want to walk around look around for open restaurants so decided to eat it. Ordere a steak which I thought was okay, but not that great. I was just happy with the server who walked in and was very enthusiastic to chat with. I was glad too that I checked my receipt upon checkout. I was charge breakfast which was the morning following the night I order room service. I disputed it and it was quickly taken care of. Overall, this hotel get its credits from its wonderful staff and location. If I had to pay the published rate - I do not think that the price justify the luxury hotel category. I would recommend this hotel to those who have no issue paying a lot of money, but for someone with a budget concern, there are other options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
You are right, overviews are always helpful, although a few months have passed from your stay.
It gives us the opportunity to say that
- free internet is now available in all public areas, including the Business center and that Starwood Preferred Guest members, as you are, are entitled to a dedicated service in the privacy of their accommodations;
- we appreciate not only your comments, that are being reviewed at an operational level, but also your frankness. Above all, we hope that, as a loyal SPG Guest, you will reconsider your decision, so that we may create a more memorable experience on your next visit to Rome.
Kindest regards,
The Hotel Manager

Been to The St. Regis Rome? Share your experiences!