“Friendly Hotel in Rome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Cornwall
“Friendly Hotel in Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We selected this hotel largely for convenient location and found it to be far better than we had expected. Very clean, tidy and comfortable. Staff, particularly Franco, are very knowledgeable and helpful. We did not use the restaurant since we were exploring Rome and eating opportunities but the bar is a pleasant place to relax after a day's sightseeing. WiFi service is good.

Some reports have questioned the neighborhood. It's not Rodeo Drive but to my eye it was safe and respectable. We wandered around at night without feeling concern. The Piazza in front of the hotel makes for a nice ambience. Rooms face into a courtyard which makes them quiet for a city hotel. The location is conveniently close to the main railway station and there is a metro station virtually outside the front door and it's a 15 minute or less walk to the Coliseum. We took a cab from the airport but if one wants to save money it would be easy to take train or bus to central train station and one stop on the metro to get to the hotel.

I wouldn't recommend the Romantica restaurant just down the street. Pleasant enough and the food wasn't bad but service was very slow.

Room Tip: Pick room facing courtyard on upper floor for quiet and small balcony. Facing Piazza might be pretti...
napoleonRoma, Manager at Napoleon Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am particularly glad of your consideration regarding the area and the piazza Vittorio Emanuele. I have to say that I like it very much, with its colored flowers shop just in fron of the hotel, the children playing in the playground in the gardens, the always crowded bars, the alive porticos. In the night, after the shops close, is quite peaceful but in the area there many lovely restaurants and some of them are those nowadays preferred by Romans. Sorry for the inconvenience regarding the restaurant Romantica, we will keep your remark in the highest consideration, however I can say that the choice in the area is large … and for some of the best restaurants an advanced reservation is often advisable. I honestly think that the location is very much convenient, both for cultural visit, even thanks to the metro connecting to the Vatican in a few minutes, and for the walking distance from the major sites, but also because you can enjoy some nice experience in good restaurants just close to the hotel, with a very good relation between quality and price, even if would repeat that for some of them is better to book in advance. Staying at the hotel Napoleon you can also enjoy the night life of Rome in Rione Monti, at a brief walking distance. And that without being disturbed during your sleep, because the square is quiet in the night and our windows face onto internal courtyards, far away from the noise of the street and the traffic. In conclusion, I wish to thank you once again for your lovely review and we all wait for the pleasure of welcoming you again at the hotel Napoleon,
With my kind regards
Roberto Cioce
hotelier

1,815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel for Three nights in end of april 2013. The Hotel is by a nice park. About 15 min walk from Colosseum.

The hotel and the rooms are very clean and quite nice. Our first room was a standard room. We thought is was a bit to small so the concierge upgraded us for free.

The breakfast was nothing special, not the highest standard, but okay.

The service was a 10 pointer. Before we traveled to Rom I sent mails to the concierge to ask if he could help us book restatuarant in advance. The helped is very quickly. Same goes for the actual stay, All the staff was so helpful and service minded!

The last night the concierge (Roberto) recommended an awseome restaturant "So Tanca", http://www.satancacrostaceria.com/. This restaurant (Sea food) was above all expectations. Highly recommended!! 40 EUR p/p for a 5 cours dinner including a bottle of wine. 10 Points! Go there!

Gurgaon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Excellent rooms,forthcoming staff,can offer car seat and strollers for kids if u aren't travelling with one,makes u feel welcome in Roma.we spent 4 nights in the hotel and were invited for some excellent wine tasting.if i ever go back to rome i will definitely stay here and recommend my friends to do so

Room Tip: No swimming pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Customer service was absolutely top-notch; everyone at all times made every effort to give directions and advise us on sightseeing and local eating. Overall, the staff would have fit in perfectly at a hotel that charged more than twice as much.

The building itself is not very modern, but has a certain "aged charm" about it. Certain things are perhaps well-used (e.g., the carpets are worn thin in spots), but nothing is run-down; everything was clean and worked as it should. The bathroom was reasonably sized and spotless, and while the shower was positioned strangely so that we were standing awkwardly on top of the drain each morning, space was never an issue. I found housekeeping's choice of air-freshener to be overpowering and sickly, but opening the window each day fixed that. Otherwise the room was small, or perhaps "cozy"; regardless, it was pleasantly comfortable and always clean. Our window opened onto a closed-off piazza shared with (I believe) a couple apartment buildings, so noise was never a problem.

There was free wifi offered in the rooms, but the network was not secured, meaning it is open for anyone to use, in or outside the hotel. Given that the hotel is next door to an apartment building or two, it was no surprise that internet connectivity was sometimes spotty and slow (perhaps through over-use). This is also unfortunate since guests' browsing habits are potentially visible to anyone connecting to the network from outside the hotel. Until the hotel fixes this, make sure you're using HTTPS when connecting to Facebook/etc. to connect with friends back home.

The breakfast buffet was raved about in comments I read before booking, but honestly I found it only so-so. There was an ample selection of deli meats and cheeses, and the eggs and sausage/bacon offerings were average. The three disappointments for me personally were the limit on morning espressos/cappuccinos ("one per customer"), fresh fruit was only offered whole rather than sliced (a bit tedious to peel your orange/kiwi when you're in a rush), and the pastries were all over-done with sugar. I love a good breakfast pastry, and these were admittedly delicious, but there's a limit to how much sugar I want in the morning. Even the croissants were heavily glazed, and I couldn't finish more than half of one. If only I could have had more espresso to wash them down...

The restaurant looked nice, but the menu was a bit above-average in terms of price for us. We didn't make use of it outside of breakfasts, instead opting to find some of the well-rated, smaller-and-cheaper restaurants in the near vicinity.

The location has been called "seedy" in other reviews, which I can understand, but safety never entered my mind, even after dark. Unless you decide to use the small back streets after 10pm instead of the larger well-trafficked ones that are available, there is nothing different in this area than in any other city centre. Even so, we were exploring the side-streets up until midnight each night while walking to and from restaurants, and found that even though it was the off-season, there were still more tourists than locals about, and certainly nothing shady. As with the entirety of Rome, always keep your wallet or money somewhere where a pickpocket can't snatch it, and you should be fine. There are several grocery stores and fruit-stands with fresh and cheap produce available within a 2 minute walk, as well as a couple nice pastry shops. There is a metro/subway stop literally out the front door of the hotel, which is incredibly convenient for seeing distant parts of the city like the Vatican or Trastevere, and the Terminus train station is perhaps a 10 minute walk away (while dragging luggage). The Colosseum and dozens of other sites are also within comfortable walking distance.

Anywhere in North America, I think this would be about a 3.5 star hotel, based on the age of the building and simplicity of the rooms and amenities. But in Rome, the relative inexpensiveness, coupled with a very central location and absolutely perfect customer service, makes the Napoleon a very attractive choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Hotel Napoleon is conveniently located close to the Roma Termini train station with excellent access to the Metro in order to get anywhere in Rome (the Metro station entrance is literally a few meters from the hotel entrance); however, TRAVELER BEWARE-Rome has a awful problem with pick-pockets on the Metro and you should never carry money or valuables in any pockets or a purse that you cannot keep your hands on while traveling on one. We were almost a victim had we not felt the little girls hand reaching in my pocket and a local good Samaritan who also saw and confronted her. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. We requested recommendations for a different restaurant each night and were guided to places with reasonable prices and excellent food and wine. The morning breakfast buffet is very adequate in order to start your day and if desired, you can walk to almost anywhere within Rome sightseeing.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked an alley so there was not a view; but, we were not really looking for a view at...
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel, over 50 years old, still has much of the old world feel of hotels of that era. It is warm, accomodating, spacious, and immediately gives a good feeling without being luxurious or overbearing. The staff, from my first telephone encounter with Domenico Nelli, and with everyone I met thereafter, was welcoming, eager to help and answer all requests.
I asked for a quiet room on a low floor, and was given room 104, which looks out onto an interior courtyard; not much of a view, but very quiet. Also, this particular room is at the end of a hallway, not near stairs nor elevators. The room was very spacious, as was the bathroom. I requested that the minibar be empty(so I could use it for my own needs).I also requested an early check-in since I would be arriving at about 10 am after a long night. Both requests were filled without any problems. I found a very comfortable bed and pillows, and enough towels.Since Rome was unseasonably warm, someone was sent up to the room to fix the airconditioning so it could be used. I also found two little details which so many hotels- even 4 star hotels like this lack: a pad and pencil by the phone, and a pen on the writing table.This is one of my pet peeves- why do hotels not provide something which costs them almost nothing and makes life so much easier for the guest? There were also two computers available-free- for use in the lounge.
The hotel was spotlessly clean and the public rooms comfortable. The bar offered free drinks a few times, but I wasn't around at those hours to try them.
The breakfast was quite abundant, and I noticed that there were even gluten-free and sugar free options available. I know that there is a restaurant available for dinner, but again- I was out every evening, so I cannot comment on it.
The price for all of this was one of the most reasonable in Rome for a 4 star hotel- 107 euros a night. Excellent value.
It could be said that the reason for this low price is the neighborhood, which at one time was much better, a center of government activity and residences. But it has deteriorated, and one does not feel the "glory of Rome" in the vicinity.During the day there is no problem walking around(easily to Santa Maria Maggiore, for example), but in the evening it is not as pleasant. One is always aware of the population changes that have taken place in Rome in the last years. But there is a metropolitana stop literally outside the front door of the hotel,so you can get everywhere fairly easily(as well as the train does in Rome, which isn't great. No other capital city I know has such a poor subway system.)
I certainly would recommend the hotel on every count.

Room Tip: My room, 104, was very quiet, spacious and pleasant.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have just returned from a five night stay for our honeymoon. The superior suite/room was fantastic, the bed really comfy, and we were able to sleep undisturbed with the window open, which I suspect you couldn't do in other parts of Rome. The breakfast was great and the restaurant had fabulous food at fantastic value. We enjoyed cocktail and wine tastings nights and were treated to a bottle of prosseco in our room on arrival. The location was great for walking to the Colloseum area and the metro is on the doorstep. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We would go back tomorrow if we could.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Napoleon Hotel? Share your experiences!