“Charming quirky hotel, comme Opera Buffa multo bene.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #104 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Dublin, Ireland
“Charming quirky hotel, comme Opera Buffa multo bene.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here in 2004, so it was a bit cheaper than the Santina hotel that was chosen for the working group I was on, so I stayed here again. It has a lovely reception area on the promo piano above the slightly down at heel porticoed square Vitorio Emmanuelle. It is in the thick of in the Esquilino rione and served by the Vittorio Emanuele Metro station (right outside the front door).

Surrounded by palazzi with large porticoes in the 19th century style, the piazza was built by Gaetano Koch shortly after the unification of Italy. Umbertine in style, it is the largest piazza in Rome (316 x 174 metres). In the centre of the piazza is a garden with the remains of a fountain built by Alexander Severus, and the so-called "Porta Magica" (Magic Gate) or "Porta Alchemica" (Alchemist's Door), the entrance to Villa Palombara, residence of the alchemist Massimiliano II Palombara.
Santa Maria Maggiore basilica is close by, remains of severine wall, you can walk to colloseum and forum. Reasonable restaurants.

Had a smaller room on third upper floor which was fine although coffee making facilities in the room is now standard in budget hotels in UK & Ireland and U.S. No trouser press or Iron in room. But otherwise was fine with in room wif-fi although the TV channels were somewhat limited. There was only one available power socket (unless one unplugged the minibar or TV). This required a recharging rota for laptop, iphone, camera, blackberry which was a pain.

Walls thin and other reviews have remarked on being able to hear activities in adjacent rooms. However it was quiet at night.

Breakfast buffet had good choice, although more freshfruit and fresh fruit salad would be welcome. The juices were a bit 'artificial' as was the coffee, which is pity as its a false economy.

The staff are pleasent and as a tourist one can really enjoy the theatre, as a business hotel it needs to address a few things.

There are 2 desktop computers in the reception area but they a glacially slow.

Room Tip: get a superior room to the rear or inner courtyard or backs
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
napoleonRoma, Direttore generale at Napoleon Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your appreciation, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. A special thanks for telling about some of the interesting archeological sites located just in piazza Vittorio Emanuele,
Thanks also for your kind remarks. Regarding the juices: we are happy to inform our readers that, since three days ago, fresh orange juice is available at the breakfast, without any supplement. Simply ask our staff, as for espresso, cappuccino etc. It is prepared on the moment, therefore it is the best one.
Regarding the noise coming from the next room, it could be helpful if you informed us during your stay, because we could solve the problem. I wonder if the room is the same of another recent review, we are trying to understand which one it is, maybe one or two single rooms. However we will do some test on the next days, and we will made the proper works on the next weeks. Any time should be an inconvenience, I always pray our Guests to call our staff, often we can set the inconvenience in a short time.
Regarding the computers in the lobby, I have to say that we have an high speed connection and they usually work quite fast. It could be a temporary problem, probably due to the system provider.
For last but not least, I appreciated very much the lovely irony in the title of your review. ..
Thank you again, we look forward to welcome you in the near future,
With my kindest regards
Roberto Cioce
manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Isle of Wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Napoleon is a lovely hotel. If you want an ultra-modern, flashy, impersonal hotel it is probably not for you, but if you enjoy a sense of history and 'old fashioned' friendliness and courtesy then this is the place to stay. From our first email requesting an airport transfer from Fiumcino, to our early morning departure clutching a picnic breakfast, the staff could not have been more helpful.
We were visiting with our teenage grand-daughter for her first visit to Rome and requested a triple room. We were given a lovely room with a curtained area giving her some privacy. It was great to be able to open the windows.
The hotel has an elegant lounge on the first floor with very comfortable armchairs and 2 computer stations for the use of the guests, as well as Wifi in the bedrooms. The bar drinks are very reasonably priced.
The wine tasting evening was a great opportunity to meet other guests and the staff. Roberto, the manager, is very knowledgeable on Italian wines. The following day was our grand-daughter's birthday and all the staff wished her a Happy Birthday as we passed through reception. In the evening there was a knock on the door and a member of staff stood there with a tray holding 3 glasses and a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine in an ice bucket. It was a lovely touch and I am sure a memory that will stay with her, even though her grandparents had to drink most of the wine!
The staff also gave us some great recommendations for reasonably priced restaurants in the immediate area. The Colosseum was only 10 minutes walk. We actually walked to all the sights from the hotel apart from the Vatican. We used the Metro which is literally outside the hotel and were able to buy a ticket from hotel reception saving us from holding up the queues at the ticket machines.
We enjoyed the buffet breakfast which included bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, croissants, fresh bread rolls, toast, pastries, cold meats and cheese.
All in all we had a lovely stay at the Hotel Napoleon made extra special by the wonderful staff - a big thank you to Roberto, Franco and the rest of the team. We shall definitely be back for another visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
napoleonRoma, Direttore generale at Napoleon Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guests,
I waited a little longer to respond to this nice review. I wished to enjoy the reading of it several times. I have to say that it is particularly pleasant for me and all the people of the Napoleon. You have found and described the right feeling and features of our hotel. My family and I, together with our fond staff, run the hotel with our own way, and we could not do differently. We consider the human aspect of our job, both regarding our Guests and the staff, as the most important thing. Of course it is not enough to guarantee the most enjoyable stay, and we also do all our efforts to make our Guests’ stay comfortable and agreeable , but we think that, unfortunately, many hotels in the world have lost, or seem to have lost, the pleasure and the true meaning of the hospitality. My mother often used to mention a sentence of an old book of Sinclair Lewis “ Osti yes, but gentlemen” Oste is the owner of the trattoria, or any inn in the world … a simple job, but that you can live respecting the old values, those values that you mention here. We understand very well how much a journey of two grandparents with their granddaughter can be important. Our life is made by moment, and some of them remain in the memory for all the life. We try to do the best we can to make these moments really significant, to make them really “ A nice memory”. Maybe a little romantic, but so we are… . All the best wishes to you and to your family, and thank you again.
Roberto Cioce
manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We loved this hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a train stop immediately outside the front door and you are only 3 stops from central Rome. The rooms are clean and quiet with all the essentials and they serve the most amazing buffet breakfast that you will find, all included in the price!

• Stayed November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

When I got to this hotel after a nightmare of a flight I thought I'd made the wrong choice. I got to the check in desk and there were two guys running around looking very busy doing nothing, there was me and one other person checking in and it was like they were overwhelmed. Finally after fifteen minutes it was my turn to check in, in the middle of my check in somebody comes in off the street and starts asking about the rates for the next three nights, now this was really annoying because all of a sudden this clown forgot about me and started looking for availabilities for this guy who was only inquiring, I was so tired and now I'm getting really pissed off so I ranted a few choice words, he then focusted on me again, after a half hour I was shown to my room. The rooms are okay, not fancy by any means, no clock, no tea or coffee making facilities, just a single sized bed, (felt like I was five years old again) a desk and a TV that kept turning itself off, I complained a couple of times but nothing was ever done. The walls are paper thin so you can hear your neighbors and everything they're doing, some people had their TV's going all night so keep that in mind. The bathrooms were well kept so no complaints there. Breakfast is included with your stay, it was okay, just a basic buffet style with all the usual stuff. The hotel is located right by the train station which is great so getting around is really easy. I was travelling alone so this hotel suited me, if I were to take a companion I think I would choose somewhere a little different just because of the noisy neighbors and stuff. Overall you get what you pay for, I paid $102.00 a night and that suited me. Hope this helps and have a great time in Rome, it's a very beautiful city and I will be back! Good luck.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
napoleonRoma, Direttore at Napoleon Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I'm sorry to read words offensive to the people who work at the Napoleon Hotel. I accept the criticisms and observations, and we always try to improve. The word "clowns" is unacceptable and unfair, even because it is addressed to people who receive continually praises and thanks, from all our guests, for their professionalism and kindness. As for the noise coming from the next room, I must say that we have already done a lot of works to improve the sound insulation and more will be done in the near future, in the points where the inconvenience is not yet solved.. It would have been helpful for us if you had reported the matter during your stay, also because our staff could ask the guest to turn down the volume of the television in the next room, and change your room, if you stayed for more than one night. Of course you can do all the chores, but much also depends on the education of the people.
greetings
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

A small room and bathroom with a tiny shower! Very comfy king bed though. Invited to the taste and talk evening (Friday night) with complementry wine and nibbles. Met other guests which was lovely. The manager personally walked us to a local Italian restaurant for dinner. Porter to help with luggage and the 2 lifts to the rooms. Lovely breakfast. 10 min walk to the Coloseum and handy to the train station. The area outside the hotel doen't look too inviting but lovely inside.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I totally enjoyed staying at this hotel. The main thing for me was the atmosphere. The staff were fabulous. The manager gives a wine tasting which gives a great opportunity to socialise with other guests. For me that meant there were friendly greetings every time I entered or left the hotel.

The room was comfortable, clean and well appointed. The public areas were welcoming. Having a metro station just out the door is very convenient.

I loved the neighbourhood as it was a welcome relief from the highly touristic and overpriced centre of the city only one or two Metro stops away. There are good local restaurants that are not over priced.

The hotel is family run which makes the service very personal. It is an older property with both the charm and the drawbacks associated with that fact but I do recommend it.

Hillcrest, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the train station as I arrived by train and had to leave the next day. It's a bit further to the station than I was expecting and not an easy walk on the narrow streets in the gritty station area. The room was a very size for Rome though and although the hotel waas a bit dated it was clean and comfortable. The metro station is literally at the front door and it's an easy walk to the Coleseum.

Room Tip: Explore the area. There's a nice market nearby and many of Rome's main attractions are with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Napoleon Hotel? Share your experiences!