“Roof top dining” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Roof top dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We happened by this hotel on the strength of the wisteria growing on the outside , then checked the menu on display outside to find a 100% vegetarian choice for today's roof top dinning, well that was decision made, well the food was superb and with views to die for I can't recommend any stronger today's experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Exquisite Relais & Chateaux member boutique hotel just off Piazza Navona, our family had a lovely stay at Hotel Raphael. Each and every staff member was kind, courteous and accommodating making us feel very much at home. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite and offered many little extras which made our stay feel very personal. The most beautiful marble / tile bathroom with Bulgari toiletries, unbelievable shower and a real hairdryer! Loved all the hotel's small public spaces which made this feel very cozy and private. Restaurant staff was exceptional / very nice breakfast experience - regret being unable to experience the rooftop due to the season & weather. This is a great choice in a central Rome location for sightseeing (we walked everywhere) while enjoying a quiet oasis on a quaint street. Nice bonus - the hotel's WiFi worked perfectly during our stay. Would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room with balcony. I would hate to see a "non-deluxe" room. The room was VERY tiny. The sleeping area up a flight of stairs was so small it was impossible to place your foot on the floor between the bed and the wall.

The service was outstanding, as was the breakfast buffet (probably the BEST breakfast buffet I've every seen). The bathroom was also exceptional - spacious, clean.

The location could not have been better. we were able to walk to all of the popular sightes of Rome.

This is a Relais & Chateaux property. We were extremely disappointed with the room.

Room Tip: If a deluxe room with balcony is less than your budget will allow, you should select a better level...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to Rome for our honeymoon, and couldn't be happier that we stayed here. It was perfect, the rooms were very nice, clean and larger than we expected. The customer service at the hotel was great, and they made every effort to accomodate any needs! And the location, what a treat to be able to walk everywhere. From the colloseum to the vatican to the pantheon, everything is within walking distance, including a grocery store, pharmacy, and tons of restaurants, and gelato places. We stayed at the hotel for a week, and now that we're home, we can't wait to go back! I'd highly recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Expat Aussies in London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Location – only moments from Piazza Navona and just away from the crowds. Everything is within walking distance. We had no need to even consider taking a taxi, metro or bus during our Easter break because of its central location.

Staff – outstanding service by passing on the baton and following up. On mentioning that it was my birthday we were upgraded to a suite. The restaurant recommendation was for the nearby “Bistrot del Mare” in the interesting area away from the Piazza. In arranging the restaurant booking the hotel obviously mentioned my birthday and added a few little extras to make that a truly enjoyable meal. On return to the hotel we were greeted with a lovely birthday torte in our suite – complete with candle and congratulatory letter. Thank you – a really nice touch and memorable welcome to Rome.

Suggested improvements – The bed in our suite (# 120) is really getting a bit old. It is definitely NOT up to the standard of a Marriott bed. The rooms are expensive, consequently we expect better; it’s a simple equation. (We have also given feedback direct to the hotel about the bed.) The double glazing is not as effective as it could be. The external noise was not too intrusive however, although I am a light sleeper, the background noise did not cause any great concern. I was expecting sirens and car horns all night but that was never a problem.

We would like to thank the staff for a visit full of wonderful memories to which they made a significant contribution. We have only marked 4/5 because of the bed; otherwise it would definitely receive 5/5. We will return - but it will have to be a treat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I will start with something positive, the hotel rooms are large, clean and very nice. The restaurant was pricy but actually good for hotel restaurant food. Now what went wrong? First of all I emailed the hotel on 3 separate occasions for a room upgrade (which I was happy to pay for) to accommodate a 3rd guest that had joined us on holiday. No response. My last email I sent said, "due to your lack of response our guest has opted to stay at another hotel". Again, no response. Management had every excuse. "we don't communicate upgrades so we don't get your hopes up" WHAT?!! I wasn't asking for a freebie. I told him (the manager) that made no sense, he said my room WAS upgraded, really?? you didnt tell me, there wasn't room for a third guest. Then he said "we get hundreds of emails we cant reply to all" really?? then HIRE MORE STAFF. Strike one.
Upon arrival from Positano they failed to inform ALL their guests (and many unhappy ones) that we could not reach the hotel by private car or taxi due to the marathon. Therefore we walked, with our luggage from the train-station to the hotel (well over an hour with each of us lugging 50 pounds of luggage. The hotels response "you should have taken the under-ground train" THANK YOU for that news too late. How would we know? Strike Two.
Finally, we chose one of the best restaurants in the city for our last night, I asked the hotel to make a reservation for 3 at eight and for directions. We took a car only to find the restaurant CLOSED. The hotel never made a reservation! We took a taxi back to the hotel and that was the final strike. They were full of lame excuses "we thought you only wanted directions" I said "can you make a reservation for 3" - how can you misunderstand that? We were compensated with a sandwich (they comped for lunch) and a taxi ride back to the airport. Not too classy. I have traveled the world and was in Italy for a month and this was the worst hotel experience in terms of service. It's a shame because the hotel itself is lovely and in a good location. The bartender told us that even Julia Roberts stayed there. Sorry hotel Raphael, you FAILED and lame excuses only made it worse. How about, we messed up and we are very sorry! Not a great way to end our month in Italy. That said, hotel Manfredi (smaller not as nice) had exceptional service. You don't always get what you pay for. I would fire that hotel manager, I am in the hospitality business and as an owner/operator with hundreds of emails a day my staff finds time to respond to our guests needs and we don't offer bs excuses when we screw up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

First, I should point out that my wife and I were looking for a March getaway last fall and found an incredible deal on Expedia - flight from Montreal and six nights at this hotel for 3,900 dollars. On the second day of our trip, I was sure someone was going to come to our door and say "We're sorry, there's been a mistake..." This hotel is a jewel! The location is ideal, the service is impeccable, the attention to detail is amazing, and the atmosphere is charming. We would return to this hotel in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel Raphael? Share your experiences!