“Excellent location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #162 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
London
“Excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

Spent 4 nights here. The hotel is brilliantly located, within walking distance of all the major tourist attractions. Hotel was very clean and our room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable for 3 adults. Only down side I would say is that there is nothing to do in the evening at the hotel, no bar, no coffee facilities or tv to watch (unless you like Sky/BBC news). We like to come back to the hotel of an evening and sit down and relax with a coffee to end the day off, but we just had to go to bed as there was nowhere else to sit. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, one of them even came out to translate instructions to a taxi driver we were having problems making ourselves understood to. All in all a very good hotel to stay in as a base for Rome.

• Liked — Central location / cleanliness
  • Disliked — No bar / lounge faciilities
  • Tips/Secrets — Wear flat shoes, all the streets are cobbled !
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2006

Stayed four nights at Hotel Regno. What the other posters say is correct: the location is very convenient. However, the hotel is run down and not well maintained. Upholstery and wall coverings were stained and ripped. Breakfast was ordinary, much of the china was chipped. Most of the staff I encountered were barely civil. Looked like it had seen better days. A disappointment.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — unpleasant staff
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2006

The location is the best thing about this hotel, and because the location was so great, we could easily overlook a few minor things about the stay.

First to explain the location - it is a 5 min walk to Trevi Fountain, 5 min walk to the Pantheon. We also managed to walk to the Colloseum (approx 15mins), and to the Vatican (approx 40mins). So we found we were very central and it was easy to walk around and experience the city. The area also felt really safe at night which we appreciated. There was good shops approx 10mins down the street.

The reception staff were not very helpful- not really rude (exept one of them), but just polite and didnt want to go out of their way to answer questions. One of them gave us misinformed information about where to buy a bus ticket - it turns out there is really nowhere close by to get a bus ticket so we just ended up walking. They were unable to prebook us a cab.

The room was fine, small but that is expected. The bathroom was of average size with a shower and a bath (however, I was unable to remove the plug to empty the bath!) We had internet usage on our TV for only 3E for 3hrs so we made use of this, it wasnt fast, but very handy.

The breakfast buffet was ok, Ive had better. The juice was awful. Serving staff did not meet us and take us to a table, so we figured out eventually that we just seat ourselves. Another annoying thing is we came down about 1/2hr before breakfast finishes, and there was not much of anything left to eat.

All in all though, you cant beat the location so I would stay again

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kingston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

We spent 2 nights at Hotel Regno. On check-in I asked if there were any rooms available with a balcony. The friendly staff checked availability and we were given a room with 2 balconies overlooking the street. It was an excellent room, very clean, although I left the balcony doors open at night and it was noisy.

The continental breakfast was quite sufficient and the area was pleasant.

Great thing about the location of the hotel is we were within walking distance (about 5 min.) to the Trevi Fountain. The Pantheon and Colosseo and Roman Forum were also within walking distance.

We would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location to attractions
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

On July 2006 I visited Rome with 2 family members, all of us adults. Before deciding which hotel to stay I searched the member's opinions more 3-4 times. Finally after reading a member's review about staying twice in the hotel, I decided to stay at the Regno. I would like to share our experience with you.
We got a room for 3. When we checked in the receptionist told me that we have separate toilet and bathroom, and that we have a balcony.
When the bell-boy opened the door, we saw a short corridor and in the end the room itself. The corridor has 2 doors opposite each other – one for the bathroom and the other for the toilet. While the toilet was roomy the bathroom was tiny. There was no pegs to hang the cloths, the 2 shelves are opposite the sink, and very high. As I am the tallest of the 3 of us, I was the only one who could use the shelves, and even than only be standing on my toes.
The closet is near the entry door, there is one shelf, and one rod to hang and put one cloth. Here too the rod and the shelf are so high that I was the only one who used the closet, and to reach the shelf I had to stand on my toes. Apart from the closet there are only 2 small drawers, and the other 2 had to leave all their cloths and other things in the suitcase. Very uncomfortable when you stay few days in one hotel.
On the first day I asked for one more chair. They did not give us one, when I reminded reception about it on the second day, it did not help. On the third day the receptionist told me that they don't have any spare chairs in the hotel and that we have to seat on the bad. When I said that we would like to seat on the balcony he said: "your problem".
On the second day we discovered that something is wrong with the air-condition, and that it makes a lot of noise. I called reception but they did not send a technician. On the next day when we went out I reminded reception about the problem with it, and the receptionist (this time a woman) said that she will look into it. When we came back it was not fixed. I call again and she sent the bell-boy. He tried to do his best, but he could not fix it. When I asked him to tell reception to send a technician he said: better you ask them, whey won't heed me saying it. So I called them. But next day, again after reminding them about it in the morning, they did not do anything. Only on the fourth day after I got really angry with them they sent the technician who did his best, and at least he eliminated the noise.
To sum it up – the location is unbeatable; the breakfast was very good; the receptionists are rude and uncooperative, especially the blond woman; the hotel amenities not the ones you find in a good 3 stars hotel.
I don't think that we ever stay again in this hotel.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Reception attitude and ability
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to avoid reception
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

Several people recommended this hotel to us, but when we arrived we were disappointed. The location was good but the room was small and the walls were paper thin! The bathroom was old and tired. Breakfast was okay. Overall the hotel did not live up to our expectations, except for the good location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom and paper thin walls
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

Stayed here for three nights on my recent trip to Rome. Turned out to be an ideal spot to have as a base if you wanted to see some of the best sights of Rome.

The hotel is located on the via del Corso (one of the main streets in Rome). It is quite a busy shopping area. There are plenty of pizzerias around the hotel.

It is a five minute walk to the Fontana di Trevi and the Palazzo Venizia, ten minutes to the Pantheon and the Piazza di Spagna and about ten to fifteen to the Colosseum.

The hotel staff are quite friendly and willing to help with directions, etc..

The city's traffic is quite disorganised, watch out for the scooters that whiz past you on pedestrian crossings without stopping.

Most of the tour operators provide hotel pick-ups. However, they do not drop you off at the doorstep of your hotel but at the nearest possible landmark. In the case of the Regno, this would be the Palazzo Venizia or via Tomacelli. For motor racing freaks, there is a Ferrari store on via Tomacelli (ten minute walk from the hotel).

The breakfast options are quite good, served from 07:00.

On the whole, it was quite a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The shower (it was a matchbox really)
  • Tips/Secrets — Nice city to walk around, a bit chaotic though, watch out for the traffic
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Regno? Share your experiences!