“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #480 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Superb location, everything within walking distance, room was very clean although a little dull.
Very helpfull staff and the bar lady at night was great.
My only complaint was they served no food and a poor choice at breakfast but as we eat out most of the time this wasnt really a problem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Here is my review from when I went to see the retiring Pope. He didn’t have a spare room for me in the Vatican, so we booked ourselves into Atlante Gardens – end Feb/March. Sorry about the delay in submitting my review. I actually forgot to write one!

So, 3 months later, what can I remember that might be useful?

To begin with, it’s not quite what a person might reasonably expect from a 4* hotel. I myself have long ago given up taking any notice of star ratings because I find they mostly equate to structural requirements ie – is there a lift, is there a 24 hr reception, and say very little about the quality of the gaff. The room itself was adequate I suppose. There was good, bad and ugly aspects.

The good:- The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, there was a Jacuzzi bath
The bad:- the Jacuzzi only worked intermittently, there was no kettle.
The ugly:- the plastic thing to work the flush on the toilet kept falling off and the electric socket for the bedside lamp had come away from the wall exposing bare wires, and was not wired in properly meaning the light would switch itself off. Ultimately, I decided not to go near this lamp

The decor of the room was very dated, but I felt that this was actually the intention of an interior designer as opposed to a lax redecorating schedule. It was all very Edwardian in style. Not to “my” style, but “a” style, nonetheless! The room had a mini-bar, but no price list. I phoned reception to ask how much a drink was and was glad I was sitting down.... OUCH!!! I wasn’t THAT thirsty in the end.... Coffee in the hotel was 3 times the price of everywhere else, but it tasted nice enough.

Directly across the road from the hotel entrance was a little shop and the lady who owned that was an absolute angel. She saw us approaching her shop as she was locking up for the evening and actually opened up again just to make us a Panini and a cappuccino! We would thereafter make a special effort to go to her because of this kindness.

This hotel is well within walking distance of St Peters, but quite a good walk from everywhere else. It also might have been the time of year but it seems that most places closed at 8am and the whole area turned into a ghost town.

We were attacked by a flame throwing maniac (or a drunk with a lighter, depending on your viewpoint) and if you want to buy a packet of cigarettes after the shops have closed good luck with that cos its all vending machines which you can only use if you have an Italian Health Insurance Card (ironic, or what!)

Back to the hotel review. Would I stay here again? No. Here’s the main reason why – The evening before our early morning departure I arranged through the hotel reception that the airport transfer would pick us up at 4.40am. We were stood in the street from 4.30am for a good half hour and there was NO BUS!! We asked reception to phone 4 times but they said they were not getting an answer. At 5am we gave in and ordered a taxi (through the receptionist) which cost the grand total of E60... (i tipped) – he got us to our plane in time.

I complained to Expedia that the bus didnt turn up. The bus company said that I was a NO SHOW and that when they turned up at 4.40 I was gone??? I have a receipt from the taxi to say 5am, but it didn’t make any difference. The worst thing was the Atlante Garden receptionist who told Expedia that that the bus came at 4.40 which was a total lie – why did he phone me a taxi at 5am then?

Rome – yes. Atlante Garden - a definite NO.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I booked a one night stay at the Hotel Atlante Star, however when we arrived after a long journey, we found out there were no rooms available (the front desk said some people had decided to stay longer than expected), and we were being moved to their 'sister' hotel a few blocks away. I am very particular when booking my hotels and do a lot of research, so this was not a good surprise. We were escorted to the other hotel, along with two other couples, dragging our suitcases through the street. This other hotel, Atlante Gardens, was definitely not up to my standards. The room itself seemed very old (kind of like Grandma's house), and there was a lot of street noise and a rumble everytime a truck drove down the street. The front desk was rude as well. The bellman was great though, and he was extremely helpful and nice. I would not recommend booking this hotel, because you might get bumped to their lesser 'sister' hotel, Atlante Gardens, which was not a good experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just spent 5 days in May at this place. Originally we were booked into the Maison Royale BB and were told to check in at reception in the Atlante Star. On checking in they were double booked so we ended up with an upgrade!!! The booking procedure led us to believe that there was a roof garden restaurant for breakfast with wonderful views of Rome and St Peter's Basilica. Well this is not available in the Atlante Garden, breakfast is in the basement.
No complaints about the staff, all very helpful and friendly. Cold buffet breakfast was good with plenty of choice.
Decor is looking decidedly tired and the air con in our room dripped water when in use. Beds were comfortable but a room on the street side is noisy so sleep quality is poor.
An evening drink is a bit of a hit and miss affair. They had no fridged water and another night no hot water to make a coffee.
The location is excellent - only 500m from the Vatican walls. Other attractions are a little further away.

Room Tip: Probably avoid street side but I don't know what the others are like
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had difficulty finding affordable rooms for 2 adults and 2 children in Rome. The fact that breakfast was included, and that there was a free airport shuttle (saved us 40 Euro) to the hotel made the Atlante Garden the obvious choice. We paid 210 Euro/night.

My husband and I shared a double bed, and each child had their own single cot. It was fine. My husband is 6'7" tall, and we could fit in the bed easily. The bed was moderately comfortable. The hotel is well located, the breakfast was pretty good, and I think it was a good deal compared to what other hotels were going to charge us. The airport shuttle was arranged in advance, and we had no problems.

I would stay there again, although perhaps I would spend a smidge more and stay at their sister hotel the Atlante Star.

I did not notice any foul smells as others have mentioned. We walked to the Spanish Steps, and it took us almost 35 minutes (I think it says 20 minutes on their web site.) The elevator is hilariously small, so this would not be a good hotel for someone with a wheelchair. The maid seemed somewhat miserable, but that can happen anywhere.

Overall this is a good, reasonably priced hotel with rooms suitable for families and a good location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for a few days in April and were very pleased with most aspects of the hotel. Location wise it's great! Just a few streets away from the Vatican, the metro and Castel st Angelo ( which is fab and not to be missed). Lots of restaurants nearby as well as a small supermarket. The shuttle from the airport worked well for us, and the staff at the hotel all have excellent English and are very helpful. The roof top terrace is stunning.
We bought a Roma pass on line before we went and again it worked brilliantly - best of all was the fast track into St Peters and fast track into Colloseum - literally saved us hours of waiting in queues. Just remember to collect it early in the day and make sure you ask the staff at the Omnina office when the next tour goes - you have to be taken by the guides through the fast track at St Peters and at Vatican Museums... You cannot just go on your own. Also be aware of young pickpockets on the metro. Four 10 or 11 year old boys managed to take a wallet as we got onto the metro. However, we went back to the station on the next train and they were there! They threw the wallet back to us and had only taken the metro ticket by that point.
All in all Rome was wonderful, and the hotel served our needs really well. The breakfast was very good, plentiful and all fresh products. I cannot understand why other reviewers find it poor - unless they are expecting other than a European style buffet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I spent five nights at the Atlante Garden Hotel in April 2013. I was very disappointed by the quality of that hotel and think it is over-rated in the sense that if does not deserve a 4 star rating.

I booked a superior room at a rate of $198.00 + tax a night and was expecting a comfortable room with all amenities. The room was in fact small, had only a single straight-backed chair, a small television set, a bed whose uncomfortable mattress was at floor level, no shower (only a dangerously high and narrow bath tub). I expected better accommodation given the $200 rate. The only positive about the room was that in had a private roof-level patio.

The hotel however is well locared, only a few blocks from St. Peter square and the Vatican.

The hotel also advertizes that it offers free shuttle from the airport. I found this deceptive since the booking conditions and method to obtain the shuttle are so demanding that I had to give up and take a taxi.

My recommendation is to look for a hotel with a higher quality/prive ratio. There are some.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Atlante Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!