“Wonderful & Relaxing - Out of the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Relais Castrum Boccea

Save Saved
You added Relais Castrum Boccea to your Saves list
Relais Castrum Boccea
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via SS. Mario e Marta 27, 00166 Rome, Italy (Gianicolense)   |
Ranked #161 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
San Diego
“Wonderful & Relaxing - Out of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We scrambled to find a room the same night and found most were well above 150 euro per night. We found the Castrum Boccea to be a very good deal, around $79 euro per room in October. The reviews mentioned free transport to and from the airport, but it cost 75 euro and we didn't find this out until after we had arranged for the pick up. Not a rip off, but it was surprising. I suppose a taxi would cost much more as this is quite a drive from center city.
The property is spectacular. We all wished we had more time here.
The restaurant was phenominal. Our first exposure to Italian in Italy food and it didn't disappoint.
The service was wonderful. Everyone was very nice.
The rooms were great, the walls were little thin, we could hear our neighbors pretty easily, although the surrounding area is so quite that may be more to blame than the construction.
This wasn't my favorite place, and I wish I could get it a 4.5, there are better places, closer to town, but this was wonderfully exceeding in all of our expectations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We loved our stay at this particular hotel. We arrived late in Rome and were concerned about where we were, as this hotel us just 30m out of Rome centre. I do believe they have a minibus available for transporting guests to the city if you are not travelling by car. The hotel was VERY reasonable in price. Our suite was completely renovated and immaculately clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I have to say, this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. They host receptions and weddings which do not interfere with your stay. I would love to stay at this charming hotel again upon returning to Rome. An absolute must!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely amazing. We started our honeymoon in rome at an awful hotel and then transferred to this hotel (arranged by a friend in the uk) & this completely made our holiday.

They picked us up from the old hotel and transferred us over. The staff were extremely friendly both luca and jasmin. Showed us to our honeymoon suite which was amazing. Had bubbly and snacks on arrival. Beautiful clean room with fantastic views.

Ate in the restaurant in which the food was amazing and again the staff were very friendly. Took the shuttle bus into rome which was great value for money and a definite pick up time.

Although the hotel is outside of rome we enjoyed the peace and quiet and enjoyed the peace after a hectic day. The hotel surroundings were beautiful with statues and a complete medieval feel around the hotel. All the staff were amazing and helpful and never made a face when you asked for help.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be coming back again.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Italy on 1st September for 8 days to coincide with our first anniversary. After checking TripAdvisor for reviews we were so glad we chose this hotel for the time we were in Rome. We were met at the airport by Luca who drove us straight to the hotel using the hotel mini bus where there was a very speedy check in and we were shown to our room (208). The first thing we noticed on arriving at the hotel was how peaceful the area was - beautiful panoramic views, no traffic noise and total relaxation as soon as you turned off the main road.

We had initially booked to stay here for 3 nights however our room was absolutely perfect - 4 poster bed with a beautiful bathroom and Juliet balcony - so we stayed for 4 nights and returned after an overnight visit to Venice on the Saturday for 2 nights. As room 208 was booked due to a wedding happening that weekend we had room 10 for Saturday night however we had booked suite 110 for the Sunday night (our anniversary night) - and oh my gosh what a suite!!!! Huge jacuzzi bath in the bedroom area along with excellent air con (temperatures were averaging 28 degrees each day), excellent wifi reception in that room too, glass table and two chairs, bed and in the bathroom there was an hydro shower and twin sinks along with the WC and bidet!!!!

The hotel restaurant was wonderful too - fantastic food (lots of it too) and excellent wine to wash it down with!!! Both waiters at the restaurant (Salvatore and I can't remember the other waiters name) were helpful and even gave recommendations for dinner and wine during our stay. Also as they found out it was our anniversary on Sunday night the restaurant had made a beautiful and very tasty cake for us - thank you so much for that :-)

I have to say a big, big thank you to Jasmine, Maria and Roberta on reception and also to Luca who drove the mini bus to and from the hotel to the Vatican City as and when we required - even helping my boyfriend to put me in the mini bus after I had walked what felt like 100 miles and just wanted to chop my feet off!!!

Yes the hotel is about 40 minutes from the centre of Rome BUT after a day spent in the hustle and bustle of the city centre it was absolute bliss to arrive back at the hotel - you really felt like you were escaping to the most tranquil and picturesque of places.

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Rome but who also wants a romantic getaway without the city noise - if I could give 10 stars I would :-)

Room Tip: Rooms 208 and 110 - either were absolutely fantastic!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I loved this medieval hotel, had such a charm about it. I stayed here with my husband for 3 nights in June.

The location is remote, about 40mins away from the city, but it is up high and you get a nice panoramic view of the lush green country side. The roses were in bloom when we were there, so the whole place was tranquil, cheerful and colourful.

Can I just recommend that you should pre-book the hotel transfer from the airport. We didn't, and ended up paying for a taxi in the end because it would have taken like 5 hours to get to the hotel by public transport.

The staff were really friendly and helped us out when were were at the airport and changing rooms. We were originally on the bottom floor of the first block of apartments (see picture) but I couldn't get to sleep, the sound proofing wasn't very good, so we could here the people upstairs quite loudly. We sorted it out the next day and moved to the second block of apartments further up the hill. The room was smaller but the sound proofing was much better and we had a really cool balcony which over looked the beautiful country side, I even saw 3 horses down below, not sure if the hotel owned them or not?

Just like the previous reviewer mentioned the hotel arranges a daily shuttle into Rome which is €5 per person per way. We did this everyday and by the time 7pm came around to catch the bus back to the hotel, we were pretty exhausted from all the walking and site seeing.

The only problem is as the location is so remote, there is not much variety to choose from when it came to picking a venue to eat at, so we always decided to eat at the hotel's restaurant.

Now the food, OMG sooo good (This is the reason for my excellent star rating) The eggplant and cheese stuffed pasta was yummy. The tempura deep fried vegetables were so addictive and the gnocchi with mushroom was good too. We only tired dessert once and I'm not sure what it was, but it tasted good, a cheese cake type filling with thin sweet pastry twirls and served with fresh cream.

The breakfast buffet didn't quite match the evening meals but I couldn't get over the variety of cakes they serve. I'm usually just a plain cereal or oats girl myself for breakfast, but it was a good opportunity to try different things.

The hotel is beautifully set up for wedding functions, in fact there was one while we were, but I didn't even really notice it, must have finished at a decent time. They also had a car club thing going on there too, (I took pictures of that too).

All in all I think this charming hotel is quite romantic and is a great place for couples, and responsible adults, probably not the best for a group of teenagers or young adults, as they would probably prefer the city where all the action is.

Room Tip: I think the upgraded suites would have been very nice
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel just outside of Rome. Me and my partner went for a 2 night break to Rome and had pre-arranged hotel transfers from the airport directly with the airport for €60 each way and thank god we did! The hotel is in a very remote location and to get there by public transport would have taken a few hours. The hotel arranges a daily shuttle into Rome which is €5 per person per way which is a bargain- although it means an early start as you leave at 9am and return at 7pm. The hotel can also offer a service which can drop your luggage to the airport for €7 per suitcase which is great if you choose to go into Rome for the day and then straight to the airport. When arriving to the hotel we were greeted by the friendly Maria- when shown to the room we had already paid for we were not too impressed - It was small, dingy and had many wasps flying around. We enquirer about a different room and were shown some of the impressive suites. It is definitely worth looking at an upgraded room when you reach here as we managed to haggle the price for an upgrade to a gorgeous suite for an extra €50 per night which on the Internet was £230 per night- a big thank you to Maria for sorting this out for us! This hotel has its own pool a 5 minute Walk away and is pretty much always empty which is great for some peace and quiet. The grounds of the hotel are absolutely stunning and unless there is an event on always very empty so again perfect for quiet lounging around. like I previously said this hotel is in a remote location so we struggled for food as the only place to eat is the restaurant hotel which does nice food but slightly limited menu. There are 2 restaurants 5 minutes down the road that are open for dinner and a disco on some evenings. There is also one shops that sells snack food, water, beers, etc. the breakfast was lovely, cereals, fruits, pastries, cakes, juices, eggs and hot drinks made to order. The hotel did have a wedding on one of the evenings we were there and although the music did go on until the early hours it really did not affect us. This hotel was perfect for us and provided us tranquility in between exploring the bustling, busy city of Rome.

Room Tip: As for an upgrade then negotiate a price.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had a brilliant holiday here. We had read previous reviews about the hotel shuttle that would pick us up from the airport so I contacted them to enquire. They were so helpful and picked us up (it's cheaper than a normal taxi). Once arriving we were met with the fantastic location and lovely staff. We were then shown to our room which was amazing. Nice and big and the bed was very comfy. Also, we didn’t hear any noise from our room (101). We used the shuttle into the centre both days and it’s well worth it. It’s cheap and reliable. It takes you there about 9 and picks you up at 7 so you get a nice long day there - may sound like a long time but doesn’t feel it. Rome itself was great, made me glad that we weren’t staying in the centre though as it’s so busy and at the hotel it’s so peaceful. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and it was lovely, not too much choice but it was good and not bad value. Much better than the pizza place down the road! We tried there as there were so many good reviews on here, after being unsure if it was open or not, we got a seat in this big empty restaurant with no one else there. The food was awful.... Frozen readymade starter and the pizzas were burnt and very salty, however it was very cheap. I would not recommend this place. Tip - the beer in the mini fridge in your room is cheaper than the beer from room service or at the bar.

Room Tip: Room 101 was lovely - no noise problems, our own space outside with a table and chairs and a view ac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Relais Castrum Boccea? Share your experiences!