“Single female traveler - Locarno was perfect!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Locarno Rome
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via della Penna, 22, 00186 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)   |
Ranked #573 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Boston
“Single female traveler - Locarno was perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

I stayed in the "Annex" - the ANAHI. It's a little hotel across the street (the entrance seems more like a residence) - a tiny street. Apparently the Locarno acquired the ANAHI and it is now part of the Locarno but they still call it by it's old name. I'm explaining this because it was difficult to understand the situation when I was booking the room.

There is no smoking allowed in the Annex, which is fantastic. It has five floors, and the fifth has only one room - mine! Had my own staircase, even, and there was a locked door at the bottom of it as well as a locked door for my room. I felt very, very safe (and I'm a safety stickler). I had a private bath in my room, and there was a little rooftop terrace outside the corridor - I was the only one up there. The room was much larger than your typical European room, and it was very clean.

The icing on the cake here is that they charge less for rooms in the Annex because they don't provide room service there. Who wants to eat room service in Italy?!? (Btw, the included breakfast is very good). And there's no smoking! 105e/night. It was great. There were a few glitches (my TV remote didn't work, had a little difficulty with the shower one day), but for the most part it was great, and I loved the staff. (Oh, and the shower head was like one you see in a spa - like a rainfall!)

I'll stay there again when I get to return to Rome, and I'll request my room. :)

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2005

The Locarno has charm and ambience. It is in a wonderful location and my room was very quiet. My favorite part of this hotel was the outdoor terrance decorated with lemon trees where you can have breakfast or just sit and relax - a small oasis. The roof deck has wonderful views over Rome. For value I think this is a excellent choice. I stayed in a single room which though small had all that I needed. The location is wonderful for exploring Rome and I ended up walking to many of my destinations.

• Stayed May 2004
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2005

We loved this hotel. Our room was in the new building overlooking the courtyard. The room was clean, good sized bathroom with tub/shower. Breakfast was excellent. Location was convenient for walking everywhere and close to subway. We'll stay here again our next visit to Rome.

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2005

We stayed at the Locarno over the May bank holiday weekend. The location is first-rate- close to everything- and I mean everything- even the Vatican is a 15 min walk away. The breakfast is good- best of all it is served in the leafy courtyard which is a delight to sit in at all times of the day.
Now for the negatives- we arrived to be told that our €150 room in the new annexe had been "flooded" due to a faulty pipe and we could take our pick of a new hotel across the river or a small room for the 1st night and a suite for the 2nd night. we were shocked when we saw the small room- it was no bigger than a closet and was most certainly not worth the €100 rack rate they claimed- more like a €30 hostel room. After much insistence by my husband (we said the very least the hotel could have done was infomed us via telephone since the "flooding" was claimed to have happened the previous day) the girl at the reception made a few calls and informed us that she would be putting us up in a room in the old building and would have to send some other people to another hotel! room was smallish but okay. Did not see any senior management at the hotel - if indeed there had been flooding surely owner/mgr etc could have been present to explain situation rather than have desk clerk fob us off?

rest of stay was good- staff helpful on the whole. Do recommend but be wary of efforts to change booking/switch rooms etc.

• Stayed April 2005
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

we loved everything about this hotel and hope to return one day. Best breakfast in Rome...lovely courtyard and rooftop...I can't imagine staying in any other hotel there.

Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2005

Have just returned to Ireland from a four-night stay at Hotel Locarno and we couldn't say a bad thing about it. Our rooms were in the original hotel - they were very spacious with good-sized bathrooms. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location is central to all major attractions. As for the breakfast, it was just scrumptious!! All in all, an excellent hotel and would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed March 2005
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2005

Funny...I posted a review of this hotel explaining the horrible experience that we had here. Apparently, they decided to remove it. I would visit the bar again, and breakfast was great, so were the bikes. But we would never pay for a room in The Locarno again. Our room in the "old section" was of 1 or 2 star quality. They did not honor our request for the new section. We have stayed in about 10 different hotels in Rome on various trips and this was our poorest experience to date- not just the quality of our room but the indifference of the desk staff. In short, if you do decide on the hotel, make sure you are gauranteed the annex.

• Stayed October 2004

Been to Hotel Locarno Rome? Share your experiences!