“Great location in Rome but Smoky and noisy.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Locarno Rome
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via della Penna, 22, 00186 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)   |
Ranked #529 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location in Rome but Smoky and noisy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This has potential to be a great hotel as it has so many old world character features. We stayed here on a Friday evening which was busy, popular and noisy. The room was really good and comfortable but on the ground floor you could hear the Friday evening bar nightlife. The outside patio allows smoking which quickly infiltrated the ground floor.
We will definitely give it another go and ask for a room further away from the main saloon.
Staff were efficient, although friendliness was not high on the priority list.
We would have also liked to have been served breakfast on the rooftop. By the time we had our breakfast - 9.00 am there was not much selection left. Suggestion - eat early.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor noisy. Eat Breakfast earlier for full selection in busy periods.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HTL_Locarno, Direttore at Hotel Locarno Rome, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Annie & Charles,
Thank you for your review and for choosing Hotel Locarno for your stay in Rome last June 5th. The room you had is located in a very nice corner of the hotel as you agreed and we are sorry if the buzz in the evening may have caused disturb to you..that buzz is one of the reasons that make the Hotel Locarno a very cosy and requested hotel. We also know that smoking can be a problem for who does not smoke but as you may know smoking outside cannot be limited in Italy by the owner of the hotel therefore especially in summer time when the patio is very busy with in-house Guests and people from outside we always suggest to non-smokers to request rooms at the Dependance or on the opposite side of the bar. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next stay with us, it will be my pleasure to help you in choosing the room that would be most comfortable for you.
My best regards,
Claudia Giuliani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Greek first
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here several years ago, and wanted to return because it was a great location, the room was clean, safe, and comfortable. I was hoping to ask for the same room - it had a great view.

Turns out they've done renovations and that room doesn't exist anymore! Also, all their single rooms in the Anahi (an annex across the small street from the main hotel) are now on the ground floor. I explained that I'd feel safer not being on the ground floor, and they upgraded me to a double room without question.

The room was once again very clean, the bathroom was really nice, great TV, free wifi. There is a nice roof deck on top of the main hotel. Everyone there was very friendly, and breakfast in the dining room was very good.

They provide a car service to and from the airport which is slightly cheaper than a taxi, and also more convenient.

All in all a great stay. I'd return yet again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Hotel is located near Piazza del Popolo and within walking distance of Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Vatican and Flaminio Metro station. Free breakfast is great, with a variety of sliced meats, eggs, juices and prosecco. Your choice of espresso, cappuccino or Cafe Americano. Hotel staff all speak English and are very friendly and available to help. I needed to print a reservation I made online, and Vanessa was able to assist me. Hotel has old-world charm, and bar is lively and packed at night. Rooms are decent size, and are clean. One downside was our bed, which was very hard, but overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Rooms across the street from main hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Hotel Locarno is a classic Italian style hotel with lots of character. It's location is excellent for sightseeing, restaurants and shops. The staff were friendly and helpful. However, with all its charm and original fittings, it is a bit run down and if improved would be so much better. We got upgraded at extra cost but it made a big difference as we were a family. However, the showers were awful and not what you would expect from a 4 star with a 4 star price. The beds were hard and not very comfortable, the TV/DVD old and dated. The roof top had an amazing view but not sure used as no facilities for beverages. With no double glazing it can be quite noisy at night. The breakfast was excellent and all the staff very friendly. Overall we had a lovely stay, but with improvements it would be an extra special hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
København, Danmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Locarno (4 stars) at the end of April 2013 for 6 days. We arrived late evening and were assigned room in the hotel annex, which can also be found on the Internet under the name Hotel Anahi (2 stars).
Next morning we approached the front desk, as we were of the firm opinion that we had booked a 4 star hotel. The hotel expressed, that we were not entitled to anything other than Anahi when our order confirmation from Hotels.com mention the word "dependance".
We contacted Hotels.com (DK) who fixed this situation, so we the last 5 nights stayed at the Hotel Locarno.
The hotel itself has a wonderful location, and if they spent some time and money, they would also have had a really lovely and unique rooftop.
The hotel is somewhat worn. A little dingy and dark. The rooms are very small, interior consists of a bed, two chairs, a mirror and a table for a very old TV.
The buffet breakfast was sparse and a bit boring. Note, however, fresh fruit salad and great coffee.
Can not recommended.

Room Tip: Never accept the annex (sometimes called Hotel Anahi) 2 stars
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I traveled alone from the U.S. with my teenage daughter. Because we were two ladies traveling alone, location was most important for me. It is within walking distance to a rail station, restaraunts, shopping, travel agency, and many sites such as Piazza de Popolo and the Spanish Steps. There are also a couple of basilicas within walking distance. We booked a lot of private tours and could walk to most of the meeting points from our hotel. Now, the room was substandard from American standards. I here that this is pretty typical for reasonably priced hotels in Rome ($200-250 per night range). I traveled the first week of April when the weather was about 75-80 degrees Farenheit. There was no air condition and the beds were very, very hard and uncomfortable. I felt like I was sleeping on concrete slab with a thin mattress on top of it. There was only one channel on the television with a decent reception. The hotel was very clean and the breakfast buffet was wonderful!! There is everything from danishes, bacon, eggs, potatoes, fruit to free cappuccino. The dinner menu is especially delicious as well but a little pricey. There are plenty of delicious and reasonably priced restaraunts within walking distance and more shopping stores than you can imagine. We spent most of the day outside of the room on tours or site seeing. I only noticed the terrible accomodations late at night when we returned to the room. If I had to do it over again, I can honestly say that I would still have chosen to stay at this hotel because of the location. I asked around, and I am sure that noone who stayed in that area got a better deal than me who was in my price range. If you don't like your room, ask for another one. In all fairness, the hotel was willing to give me another room but my busy site seeing schedule did not allow me enough time to change rooms when the rooms were actually available.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room, ask for another one. In all fairness, the hotel was willing to giv...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The best thing about the Hotel Locarno in Rome is it's location, very close to Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and a couple of blocks from Piazza Popolo. I was in a standard guest room just around the corner and one flight up from the courtyard bar space. Surprisingly, our room wasn't loud, but the bed was very old, uncomfortable and lumpy, the bedding itself was worn, stained and tattered. The room was small - I was prepared for that, and clean enough. It was very warm (first week in May) and the air conditioner did not work at all - and in the state that it appeared, I cannot imagine that it will ever work again. I cannot imagine how warm it would be in the summer months. My sister stayed in a room in the original building with the same situation. The drinks in the bar were twice as much as the restaurants across the street as well. Finally, the staff was polite enough, but didn't go out of their way to help make us comfortable. If you spent the extra money on a suite, the room may be more than adequate. We stayed at a similar type of Hotel in Venice (Hotel Canaletto) and although the room was small, the bed itself, linens, bathroom amenties, etc were all top notch. Overall I think my expectations were realistic for this type of hotel and it just didn't hit the mark. My instinct is that there are better options within the same location that would provide a more comfortable accomodation.

Room Tip: Look for something comparable with better ratings in this location as it was super convenient to man...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Locarno Rome? Share your experiences!