“Decent food,pleasant surroundings, so what's with the menu?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Dispensa dei Mellini

La Dispensa dei Mellini
Lungo Tevere Dei Mellini 31/32, 00193 Rome, Italy (Campo Marzio)
+39 06 3212633
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #194 of 8,759 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
South Yorkshire
“Decent food,pleasant surroundings, so what's with the menu?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We ate here after reading good reviews on TA and realised that it was in staggering distance from our hotel. It's a small place, facing the river and is easy to miss.

The atmosphere inside is pleasant and the young woman doing most of the service was immediately welcoming. The young guy whom I took to be the owner spent rather too much of his time watching football on his computer to assist her for the greater part of the evening.

The food we had was well cooked and generally nicely presented and at the upper end of what we paid in the three or four restaurants we visited. I had a fillet of pork from a breed of black pig that was especially pleasant although the Roman crisp shape chips that came with it were rather on the cool side when I got them and not half so eatable as the freshly fried ones I had at Piccolo Irpinia the following night. Vegetable tempura and a cheese and potato starter were, however excellent.

What irked me about the place, apart from our being deprived of the attention of the male part of the serving team due to sporting commitments, was the absence of a usable menu. What served as a bill of fare was a small two sided blackboard being toted about the tables. The result was that one was faced with the menu and the server much at the same time and the business of deciding what to have from a reasonably long list became a rather truncated affair. Admittedly, the board was left for perusal while others were being served but not for the amount of time that allowed civilised thought.

I realise that some may find this arrangement to their liking but I can't see the point to it other than as a means to organise when customers may start their deliberations as to what they are going to eat. I don't mind a blackboard on the wall, I don't mind a bit of paper with the dishes scribbled or typed on it but I need something to look at for a few minutes before I make my choice, not a quick shufti with a server standing over me, helpful or not.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hampshire, England
“Fantastico!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Owner/manager of the restaurant was very helpful, and keen to explain the menu, which was extensive. His command of English wasn't bad, but he kept apologising for not being that good. That all added to the charm. The food was lovely, the best we had, but the downside was that it wasn't very hot. Shame. The plates were stone cold. The owner was keen to help us choose a nice bottle of wine, and the overall experience was good. Wish we'd gone a second time.

Visited February 2013
“Superb Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate here on our first night in Rome as TA advised it was one of the best near to our hotel and we were not dissappointed. The food was excellent and freshly prepared. The staff took time to explain the menu to is in English and we enjoyed the wine he recommended too. My wife had pasta and it was superb and my need steak tower with potatoes and sauce was excellent. Many locals came in to eat as the evening proceeded which made the atmosphere great too. The tiramisu, coffee and grappa to finish the meal did not let it down either. A must if nearby.

“A blast!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

A great place, tiny and warm, I've felt to be at home.
Overall the atmosphere is just what you need after a day spent walking in Rome.
Eleonora and Lorenzo are excellent host.
The bill wasn't expensive though, especially considering the superlative quality of the food.
I can't wait to go back in Rome to taste other specialities.
Next time I'll go earlier than 9:30pm as most of the tasteful dishes were not available.

Miami, FL
“Lovely little restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This reataurant was recommended to us by our B&B. Reservations are highly recommended as is very small and intimate. Great atmosphere, the servers I believe are the owners of the place, very helpful they take the time to explain everything thats on the handwritten menu as well as recommend you a good wine. All the ingredients are very fresh. Great food and wine a very memorable experience.

• Visited March 2012