“Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 1,264 hotels in Rome
Puerto Rico
“Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

During the 50s and 60s Hollywood had a big influence in Italian tourism due to films like "La Dolce Vita". On those days, many visitors chose to stay in big Dame Hotels like The Excelsior at Via Venetto. Today, Via Venetto and all its wonderful Hotels are always good choices, but the action has moved a bit down the street (hill).

For my trip to Rome, I searched for a 5 star hotel with great location. Every traveler is different and every destinations has its peculiarities. This time, I wanted luxury accommodations on site. The Hassler Rome was a splendid alternative. Clean Renovated Rooms, Excellent Service and Fine Dinning on top of the Spanish Steps. The Hassler is Not a big Dame, it's a charming, exquisite spot in the middle of everything. You can safely walk to Piazzas, monuments and the famous Via Condotti, home street to Channel, Dior, Valentino and other designer boutiques.

Walking is the best way to move around Rome. Location was Priority One. At the Hassler Rome Hotel, we found a safe location to walk anytime of day or night... And for me, safety matters.

I don't recommend this Hotel if internet connection is of importance. They do have difficulties providing this service to their guests. Otherwise, stay at the Hassler, have some coffee or tea in their tea room with the soft sound of Italian music in the background, smoke a cigar or sip some brandy at their cigar bar, just leave everything behind and enjoy La Dolce Vita and the Magnificence of Rome from a privilege hill at The Hassler Rome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

It is indeed our constant aim to make our guests feel at home and to render their stay as memorable and comfortable as possible, so you can imagine how glad I am each time a client takes a moment to let me know how much they enjoyed their stay with us. I was sorry tor read about the difficulties you encountered with internet, but please be informed that the whole system is being presently reviewed.

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Hotel Hassler is stepping into old world luxury with new world modern conveniences.
Hands down the most comfortable bed/sleeping in our multi city luxury European trip.
Hands down the most wonderful and experienced staff in our multi city luxury European trip.

They have recently upgraded and retained all the old world charm.
The restaurant IMAGO - yes it is expensive - we were there Christmas - but one of the best Michelin star restaurants we have ever had the pleasure to dine at - While the food was fabulous, again we must cite the staff - every single member of the staff from the captain to the servers

The layout of the room (jr suite) was perfect
Maximized the space yet felt roomy

We went all out last year on atrip and stayed at the Ritz Paris before they closed and the HASSLER surpassed the RITZ in service - which is saying something
Cannot recommend highly enough

Expensive and worth every penny

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome but also for having taken the time to share your lovely words of appreciation.

My aim as a family hotelier, with five generations of tradition, is to provide a blend of service and atmosphere, to make you feel that each stay is a home away from home experience and with your comments make me feel that this time I succeeded.

We look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores other opportunities for you to return.

Kindest regards,

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel was very centrally located. The staff amazing. The rooms large by Rome standards.

Everything we requested was met with a "can do" attitude.

New Year's dinner at Imago's Restaurant was pricey at 875 Euros per person, but the location could not be beat for firework viewing. We had Rome laid down at our feet and could see the fireworks all over Rome without having to deal with the crowds, etc...

Yes, it is pricey but worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 28, 2013

Greetings from the Eternal City!

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome to celebrate New Year’s Eve, but also for your note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your positive note about the rooms, the staff and the view gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments.

Kind regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Hassler — contributes to the current success of luxury hotels — by giving a new energy to the place that will be useful beyond the 2012/13 winter season by having upgrading and replaced just what was needed: gone are the heavy velvet curtains that used to drag on the floor of the stairs. In their place are modern scrims. Gone is any sense that the furniture has collected some dust. Open was the sparkling gem of a gym with its endless windows and views, and an outdoor patio. Yet the charm of the whole place remains intact. That change of climate has affected not just confidence in the service and exceptional management of this great hotel, but also creates a new focus for using the hotel as a way to prepare to get out of it — to enjoy Rome — to attend to meetings, more relaxed, more rested, more well nourished.

So there was a good reason to select staying at the Hassler above all other hotels when in Rome — figuratively speaking — “on the top of the world,” as you might described the inspiration for it being at the top of the "Spanish Steps."

We arrived on New Year's Eve. Other guests walked over shiny-as-ice stone surfaces and clean carpets wearing party hats, noise makers and emblems on the chests of blazers. Some of them carried fur coats, which were promptly put away by the concierge — not least, one (which must have stayed here many times) comfortably showed us the way to the main floor's secret smoking room so we wouldn't have to be outside in the cold if we didn't want to. The hotel made a point of both inviting us to join the many parties, meal service, or to relax and stay out of it. We chose the latter and were perfectly comfortable doing so. In the morning, traditional New Year's treats were left in our room to enjoy-- eat.

This was a fresh and faultless vision, based on their guest's lust for expected tradition, travel, comfort-- thoughtfully, mindfully. And the entire hotel staff, to a person, were the first to be helpful in any way that was asked-- all without ever being overbearing, or unwelcoming to us-- two dudes that had never stayed there together before. Oh, and upon checking in, we were upgraded to a better room that we had booked.

I am not so sure about the giant clam of a bar that was installed in the courtyard. I have to go back and see how that works come summer!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note full of appreciation. I am glad that you liked the redesigned trimmings, the service and that you generally found everything to your satisfaction.

My aim as a boutique family hotelier, with five generations of tradition, is to provide a blend of service and atmosphere, to make you feel that each stay is a “home away from home” experience and with your lovely comments, I pride myself in being able to say that sometimes I manage to accomplish the goals that I fixed for myself.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Hassler is an incredible institution. Their recent upgrade and renovation seems like it's going quite well. The service is absolutely top-notch. Staying at the hotel is an absolute joy. The view all the way across Rome of the Vatican from bed was absolutely storybook. The staff is charming and cheerful.

Getting room service there, although it may cost a day's salary, is out of this world: two men hustle in with a table and it's an enormous production and totally delightful.

They also have the largest elevators in Europe. (No, but seriously, you can fit five people and a suitcase in them!)

I imagine it's exceedingly difficult to pull a storied hotel into the 21st century, particularly in Rome. They are doing an admirable job of it. On my next visit, I'm sure they'll have licked the Internet problem entirely. (No, we certainly did not spend 15 Euros a day for the Internet. It's 2013! Goodness no. But I can forgive them for this.)

Don't miss: the tucked-away bar on the ground floor, with its secret glassed-in smoking area. Also: the patio off the gym is one of the single best vantage points to view Rome.

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Higher is always better when you're atop the Spanish Steps!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was nice to read your enthusiasm about your stay and I was pleased to learn that we met your expectations and you enjoyed our renowned quality of service, care and attention.

Your kind words of appreciation were also passed on to the staff.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The service is second to none.. The concierge are extremely helpful in every way, to booking great restaurants, organizing guided tours, etc. The rooms are clean, well appointed and the service staff are excellent. The location is great, you walk out of the Hotel down the Spanish steps and you are in the centre of Rome for all your shopping and eating needs. Old charm with oustanding service. Look forward to staying again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
“Hassle free Hassler”

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for your lovely note of appreciation.

I am happy that you found everything to your satisfaction. My aim, in the hotel business, is to allow my guests to experience a unique and enjoyable break and make them feel “home away from home” – and with your lovely comments, I pride myself in being able to say that sometimes I manage to accomplish the goals that I fixed for myself. Your lovely words of appraisal were also passed on to the staff.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to return.

Kindest regards,

western cape
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Hassler Hotel, near the Spanish steps is a well known 5 star world class hotel in a location that is difficult to beat. We found it a little difficult to find as we could not drive up the Spanish steps, but following the cobbled streets was worth the effort. The public rooms are very elegant and the staff charming. The bar man remembers you name and the roof terrace dining is second to none in Rome with amazing, amazing views and great food. The rooms can vary in size but all are superbly furnished and spotless. All the main sights are within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 15, 2013

Greetings from the Eternal City!

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your note about the food, the rooms, our service and the location, gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments.

Kind regards,

President and Managing Director

Been to Hotel Hassler? Share your experiences!