“New Year's in Rome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Miami, FL
“New Year's in Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel was very centrally located. The staff amazing. The rooms large by Rome standards.

Everything we requested was met with a "can do" attitude.

New Year's dinner at Imago's Restaurant was pricey at 875 Euros per person, but the location could not be beat for firework viewing. We had Rome laid down at our feet and could see the fireworks all over Rome without having to deal with the crowds, etc...

Yes, it is pricey but worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 28, 2013

Greetings from the Eternal City!

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome to celebrate New Year’s Eve, but also for your note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your positive note about the rooms, the staff and the view gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments.

Kind regards,

481 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Hassler — contributes to the current success of luxury hotels — by giving a new energy to the place that will be useful beyond the 2012/13 winter season by having upgrading and replaced just what was needed: gone are the heavy velvet curtains that used to drag on the floor of the stairs. In their place are modern scrims. Gone is any sense that the furniture has collected some dust. Open was the sparkling gem of a gym with its endless windows and views, and an outdoor patio. Yet the charm of the whole place remains intact. That change of climate has affected not just confidence in the service and exceptional management of this great hotel, but also creates a new focus for using the hotel as a way to prepare to get out of it — to enjoy Rome — to attend to meetings, more relaxed, more rested, more well nourished.

So there was a good reason to select staying at the Hassler above all other hotels when in Rome — figuratively speaking — “on the top of the world,” as you might described the inspiration for it being at the top of the "Spanish Steps."

We arrived on New Year's Eve. Other guests walked over shiny-as-ice stone surfaces and clean carpets wearing party hats, noise makers and emblems on the chests of blazers. Some of them carried fur coats, which were promptly put away by the concierge — not least, one (which must have stayed here many times) comfortably showed us the way to the main floor's secret smoking room so we wouldn't have to be outside in the cold if we didn't want to. The hotel made a point of both inviting us to join the many parties, meal service, or to relax and stay out of it. We chose the latter and were perfectly comfortable doing so. In the morning, traditional New Year's treats were left in our room to enjoy-- eat.

This was a fresh and faultless vision, based on their guest's lust for expected tradition, travel, comfort-- thoughtfully, mindfully. And the entire hotel staff, to a person, were the first to be helpful in any way that was asked-- all without ever being overbearing, or unwelcoming to us-- two dudes that had never stayed there together before. Oh, and upon checking in, we were upgraded to a better room that we had booked.

I am not so sure about the giant clam of a bar that was installed in the courtyard. I have to go back and see how that works come summer!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note full of appreciation. I am glad that you liked the redesigned trimmings, the service and that you generally found everything to your satisfaction.

My aim as a boutique family hotelier, with five generations of tradition, is to provide a blend of service and atmosphere, to make you feel that each stay is a “home away from home” experience and with your lovely comments, I pride myself in being able to say that sometimes I manage to accomplish the goals that I fixed for myself.

Greetings from the Eternal City and kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Hassler is an incredible institution. Their recent upgrade and renovation seems like it's going quite well. The service is absolutely top-notch. Staying at the hotel is an absolute joy. The view all the way across Rome of the Vatican from bed was absolutely storybook. The staff is charming and cheerful.

Getting room service there, although it may cost a day's salary, is out of this world: two men hustle in with a table and it's an enormous production and totally delightful.

They also have the largest elevators in Europe. (No, but seriously, you can fit five people and a suitcase in them!)

I imagine it's exceedingly difficult to pull a storied hotel into the 21st century, particularly in Rome. They are doing an admirable job of it. On my next visit, I'm sure they'll have licked the Internet problem entirely. (No, we certainly did not spend 15 Euros a day for the Internet. It's 2013! Goodness no. But I can forgive them for this.)

Don't miss: the tucked-away bar on the ground floor, with its secret glassed-in smoking area. Also: the patio off the gym is one of the single best vantage points to view Rome.

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Higher is always better when you're atop the Spanish Steps!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was nice to read your enthusiasm about your stay and I was pleased to learn that we met your expectations and you enjoyed our renowned quality of service, care and attention.

Your kind words of appreciation were also passed on to the staff.

Greetings from the Eternal City and kind regards,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The service is second to none.. The concierge are extremely helpful in every way, to booking great restaurants, organizing guided tours, etc. The rooms are clean, well appointed and the service staff are excellent. The location is great, you walk out of the Hotel down the Spanish steps and you are in the centre of Rome for all your shopping and eating needs. Old charm with oustanding service. Look forward to staying again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
“Hassle free Hassler”

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for your lovely note of appreciation.

I am happy that you found everything to your satisfaction. My aim, in the hotel business, is to allow my guests to experience a unique and enjoyable break and make them feel “home away from home” – and with your lovely comments, I pride myself in being able to say that sometimes I manage to accomplish the goals that I fixed for myself. Your lovely words of appraisal were also passed on to the staff.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to return.

western cape
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Hassler Hotel, near the Spanish steps is a well known 5 star world class hotel in a location that is difficult to beat. We found it a little difficult to find as we could not drive up the Spanish steps, but following the cobbled streets was worth the effort. The public rooms are very elegant and the staff charming. The bar man remembers you name and the roof terrace dining is second to none in Rome with amazing, amazing views and great food. The rooms can vary in size but all are superbly furnished and spotless. All the main sights are within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 15, 2013

Greetings from the Eternal City!

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your note about the food, the rooms, our service and the location, gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments.

Kind regards,

Frisco, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just seconds away from the Spanish Steps, the Hassler is one of the best hotels in Rome. It is tranquil at all times and, even though the hotel is adjacent to the Spanish Steps, almost no noise gets through the walls. At night, the Hassler's redesigned outdoor lounge allows for a nice drink before dinner, while listening to a great piano player. The Hassler is also minutes away from a nice park that not many tourists go to (about a 10 minute walk). The service was great and the Hassler has not disappointed us in any of our four stays there.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you again for having stayed at the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

It is indeed our constant aim to make our guests feel at home and to render their stay as memorable and comfortable as possible, so you can imagine how glad I am each time a client takes a moment to let me know how much they enjoyed their stay with us.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the Hassler for a week between christmas and new year's 2012. For a 5-star hotel in the heart of the city, we cannot recommend this hotel enough.
The hotel is in a perfect location at the top of the Spanish Steps. The views are fantastic and many historical sites, lots of shopping and other places of interest are only a short walk away.
We found the staff at the hotel to be excellent. They are very attentive, well-trained and exceedingly capable. They seek to ensure every guest is happy and they succeed.
We stayed in a street-facing grand deluxe room which was very comfortable and gave us a nice view of the city. The rooms housing the classic or more elaborate suites likely had the better views, but we were happy nonetheless. Rooms have great robes and slippers which are welcome after exploring the streets and sites for hours at a time.
The staff working the breakfast buffet in the Salon Medici were outstanding. By our second day, they knew our preferences, etc. My wife and I didn't have to ask for our coffee drinks to have soy instead of cows milk after our first breakfast. Nice!
Overall, we had a great stay and would most definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that wants great service in a perfect location, particularly anyone who is visiting Rome for the first time.

Room Tip: Street facing rooms have great views, but will be noisier than garden rooms. Rooms are furnished dif...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to share with us your satisfaction.

I am happy that you had a great time with us. My aim, in the hotel business, is to allow my guests to experience a unique and enjoyable break and make them feel “home away from home” – and with your lovely comments, I pride myself in being able to say that sometimes I manage to accomplish the goals that I fixed for myself. Your kind words of appreciation were also passed on to the staff.

We look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

President and Managing Director

Been to Hotel Hassler? Share your experiences!