“Absolutely top service, great hotel, terrible internet” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Hassler
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Trinita dei Monti 6, 00187 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #88 of 1,266 hotels in Rome
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Absolutely top service, great hotel, terrible internet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Hassler Hotel for two nights with a group of work colleagues and friends - just for an entertaining couple of days in Rome.

Service - the service is unbelievably good. Exactly what you would hope and expect from a five star hotel. Polite, professional, incredibly helpful, very knowledgeable about Rome. The service really made this stand out from most hotels I've stayed in over recent years.

Rooms - I believe the hotel is partially refurbished. I was in a refurbished room and it was absolutely beautiful. Small, but this is to be expected in this part of the world. Classy and lovely.

Internet - TERRIBLE!! From the moment I entered the hotel I wrestled with the internet. On day 1 an internet technician came to my room and tried to tell me there was something wrong with my computer. Until my colleague arrived and ALSO couldn't get on the internet. Then they quickly had a technician come to the room to change the receiver in my room. But after an hour or so, I was kicked off the internet - so another call to the man. Day 2 - couldn't get on again. I was told that they are changing something related to the internet on our whole floor. They offered no solution to my problem (i.e. couldn't tell me where else I could get on the internet) and wouldn't listen to what was actually happening on my computer. But again, one colleague could get on the internet and one couldn't. I was tired of fighting, so decided my work could wait. Day 3 - couldn't get on the internet AGAIN. Same error message as the day before. So I went to reception to show them and they had a solution!!! So irritating that no one had offered me that solution the day before.
ALSO a bit annoying that the internet is 15 euros per day - which you don't really want to pay to have wi-fi on your iPhone... would be better for the internet to be free.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night's sleep, DON'T choose a room at the front of the hotel - car horns...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, December 21, 2012

Greetings from the Eternal City!

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to share with us your satisfaction concerning your recent stay with us.

All comments I receive from my clients are very much appreciated and a necessary tool to understand if I succeed in my aim to render each and every stay as memorable and enjoyable as possible. In this specific instance, I am happy to be able to ascertain that this goal has in some way been accomplished. At the same time, I’ve also taken note of your remarks concerning the internet access, which I would like to reassure you that we are presently reviewing.

On a closing note, I hope the future holds in store another opportunity for you to return to the Hassler.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

485 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Understated elegance. View to die for. Best location in Rome.
Eat in the restaurant upstairs. One of the best meals in Rome.
Ask for a room up high, facing the front of the hotel.
We shall return, probably this summer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome and also for your lovely note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, I really appreciated you sharing your judgment of satisfaction with us.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to return.

President and Managing
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We where staying in Rome for a few days during November and as always when staying in Rome we call at the hassler for a snack, from the moment we arrived all staff give us their full attention , the service is one of the best anywhere, thank you , i would recomment this hotel to anyone looking for service, attention , good quailty food and presentation, and lastbut not lease knowledge of the area,when i return to Rome i will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you personally for your lovely comments, and moreover, I was delighted to read renewed words of appreciation you kindly expressed.

It is a pleasure to read that guests do return to the Hassler time after time and that we continue to succeed in meeting their expectations.

I hope you get an early occasion return to Rome again, and fit in another snack at Hassler!

New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We went to Rome in October, and decided to stay at the Hassler, where we spent almost two weeks to celebrate our anniversary. From the moment we checked in, everything exceeded our expectations. Check-in was not only easy but personal. We were led to our room, which was beautifully and romantically appointed, with a view to the church next door. Exactly what we had hoped for on this trip! A series of welcome gifts from the management awaited us, and this touched our hearts (and brought tears to my eyes). As we explored our large room, its wood carvings and gorgeous furnishings, we also noted that it had every modern amenity quietly tucked away in small corners -- warm, fluffy bathrobes awaited us in the self-lit closet. Every light in the room, from the central chandelier to the lamp lighting the landscape painting, had a dimmer, adding to the romantic atmosphere. And the discreet (thank goodness) flat-screen television set allowed us to watch news from everywhere imaginable -- from Italy to Spain, CNN to BBC, France 24 to Germany.

Other posters have spoken of the bathroom, but I have to say, WOW! It, in itself, was an amazing place. A huge jacuzzi tub, separate shower, separate toilet with bidet (married couples, in particular, will appreciate this separate toilet feature, I think ;0)), and a double sink. Add to that the house brand Amor Vero products provided (this scent will forever remind me of Rome, and, if you have a chance, purchase the fragrance; yes, it is that wonderful), and there were mornings I never wanted to leave the shower, evenings I could have stayed in the bathtub until my skin pruned.

Morning breakfasts were a delight, with a wonderful choice of eggs and every conceivable pastry (as well as many I had never conceived of, but crave to this day), all served by a staff that remembered us each day, our names, beverage preferences, seat preferences, everything.

I don't know if it's the time of year and the people who go to Rome in October, but the Hassler felt a little like something out of an Agatha Christie novel, in the best sense. We saw many of the same guests from breakfast at dinner at Salon Eva in the evenings, leading to chats about where to go, what to see, and a sense of community that large, impersonal hotels simply lack.

This leads me to another thing: the food! We ate at Imago, which has some of the best food in the world (not an exaggeration), served in a place with one of the best views of Rome. I had never enjoyed a meal like this in my life, and highly recommend Imago to anyone and everyone going to Rome, wherever they are staying.

But, if you are a guest of the Hotel Hassler, don't miss Salon Eva for dinner! It is such a delight! This intimate tea room serves up an incredible dinner each evening, and many hotel guests, after a long day of sightseeing, find themselves relaxing in its beautiful surroundings, listening to the American Songbook as played by a wonderful pianist, and eating incredibly prepared Italian fare, often cooked to order, in this beautifully decorated dining room just off the lobby. We were lucky enough to be there during white truffle season, and a simple meal of pasta al burro with white truffles gave me a taste of what heaven must be.

The Hassler makes you feel like you are staying in the gorgeously appointed home of a duke or prince. Everything is always quietly perfect, and the staff seems genuinely happy to work there.

It's not that we will return. It's that it is the only place we will stay when we visit Rome. I have never experienced such perfection in a hotel. Well done does not even begin to express our thanks and appreciation for everything the staff at this exceptional property does right, each and every day. Many, many thanks. Until we meet again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, to celebrate your wedding anniversary and also for taking so much of your time to share with us the lovely impressions you have about the stay.

My aim as a boutique family hotelier, with five generations of tradition, is to allow my clients to experience a unique and enjoyable break and make them feel “home away from home” – and your lovely and flattering comments of appreciation make me happy to know that in this instance, my goal has gone well beyond my best expectations!

It has also been my pleasure to pass on to the staff concerned, your vivid description of gratification, concerning your dining experience at Imàgo.

On a closing note, I hope the future holds in store other opportunities for you to return and repeat and maybe even exceed this experience!

washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The magic began at check in. Gracious, welcoming staff. Room 608 with a terrace and 360 degree of Rome. Room beautifully decorated with every convenience imaginable. Comfort and class with all the right attitude. We will definitely return. Thank you all. We were treated like royalty.

Room Tip: 608 is top floor. Quiet. View cannot be beat.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 22, 2012

Greetings from the Eternal City!

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your note about the room and the service gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments.

We all look forward to welcoming you again to the Hassler in the near future.

Kind regards,

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week. we were sure that this hotel is the BEST in rome. BUT - we were wrong. Although the hotel is nice, the breakfast is good and the rooftop restaurant is impressive - the room and the hotel itself is old, tired and glooming.

We don't recommend this hotel because if you want a really great hotel in rome you should look else where. this hotel is too expensive and too old.

i strongly recommend you to check the jumeirah hotel at via Veneto. this hotel in my opinion is THE BEST in rome for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 16, 2012

Greetings from the Eternal City!

Thank you for having stayed at the Hassler while in Rome, and also for having taken time to share your impressions, which I always find extremely important – whether they be positive, or negative – as in this case.

Obviously, I was sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations, but would like to reassure you, that while maintaining our historic texture, we are presently implementing various novelties which I hope that, despite your immediate reaction, you might decide that during some future occasion you would like to experience in person.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are many hotels in Rome, so you're guaranteed many lodging experiences -- but if you want that white glove continental service, stay here. The plant is gorgeous, and advantageously located near the radial center of the city. The staff is courteous, friendly, and solicitous, and they forgive your poor Italian should you choose to parlo in the native tongue. We had a room overlooking the garden, and felt comfortable from the start. The best part of the Hassler's set up is the bathroom, not surprisingly: Double sinks, marble all the way, separate shower and toilet. You have to have a serious bathroom to contend for the top slot, and this place scores in that regard. Also, the proprietor personally responded to my guest review card -- what do you think of that?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 14, 2012

Greetings from the Eternal City!

First of all I would like to thank you again for having stayed at the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

It was very nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciated your detailed description of all the aspects you found to your gratification.

We look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

President and Managing Director

Been to Hotel Hassler? Share your experiences!