“One of the best in Rome” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Hassler
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Trinita dei Monti 6, 00187 Rome, Italy   |
Ranked #85 of 1,267 hotels in Rome
Belfast, United Kingdom
“One of the best in Rome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We where staying in Rome for a few days during November and as always when staying in Rome we call at the hassler for a snack, from the moment we arrived all staff give us their full attention , the service is one of the best anywhere, thank you , i would recomment this hotel to anyone looking for service, attention , good quailty food and presentation, and lastbut not lease knowledge of the area,when i return to Rome i will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you personally for your lovely comments, and moreover, I was delighted to read renewed words of appreciation you kindly expressed.

It is a pleasure to read that guests do return to the Hassler time after time and that we continue to succeed in meeting their expectations.

I hope you get an early occasion return to Rome again, and fit in another snack at Hassler!

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We went to Rome in October, and decided to stay at the Hassler, where we spent almost two weeks to celebrate our anniversary. From the moment we checked in, everything exceeded our expectations. Check-in was not only easy but personal. We were led to our room, which was beautifully and romantically appointed, with a view to the church next door. Exactly what we had hoped for on this trip! A series of welcome gifts from the management awaited us, and this touched our hearts (and brought tears to my eyes). As we explored our large room, its wood carvings and gorgeous furnishings, we also noted that it had every modern amenity quietly tucked away in small corners -- warm, fluffy bathrobes awaited us in the self-lit closet. Every light in the room, from the central chandelier to the lamp lighting the landscape painting, had a dimmer, adding to the romantic atmosphere. And the discreet (thank goodness) flat-screen television set allowed us to watch news from everywhere imaginable -- from Italy to Spain, CNN to BBC, France 24 to Germany.

Other posters have spoken of the bathroom, but I have to say, WOW! It, in itself, was an amazing place. A huge jacuzzi tub, separate shower, separate toilet with bidet (married couples, in particular, will appreciate this separate toilet feature, I think ;0)), and a double sink. Add to that the house brand Amor Vero products provided (this scent will forever remind me of Rome, and, if you have a chance, purchase the fragrance; yes, it is that wonderful), and there were mornings I never wanted to leave the shower, evenings I could have stayed in the bathtub until my skin pruned.

Morning breakfasts were a delight, with a wonderful choice of eggs and every conceivable pastry (as well as many I had never conceived of, but crave to this day), all served by a staff that remembered us each day, our names, beverage preferences, seat preferences, everything.

I don't know if it's the time of year and the people who go to Rome in October, but the Hassler felt a little like something out of an Agatha Christie novel, in the best sense. We saw many of the same guests from breakfast at dinner at Salon Eva in the evenings, leading to chats about where to go, what to see, and a sense of community that large, impersonal hotels simply lack.

This leads me to another thing: the food! We ate at Imago, which has some of the best food in the world (not an exaggeration), served in a place with one of the best views of Rome. I had never enjoyed a meal like this in my life, and highly recommend Imago to anyone and everyone going to Rome, wherever they are staying.

But, if you are a guest of the Hotel Hassler, don't miss Salon Eva for dinner! It is such a delight! This intimate tea room serves up an incredible dinner each evening, and many hotel guests, after a long day of sightseeing, find themselves relaxing in its beautiful surroundings, listening to the American Songbook as played by a wonderful pianist, and eating incredibly prepared Italian fare, often cooked to order, in this beautifully decorated dining room just off the lobby. We were lucky enough to be there during white truffle season, and a simple meal of pasta al burro with white truffles gave me a taste of what heaven must be.

The Hassler makes you feel like you are staying in the gorgeously appointed home of a duke or prince. Everything is always quietly perfect, and the staff seems genuinely happy to work there.

It's not that we will return. It's that it is the only place we will stay when we visit Rome. I have never experienced such perfection in a hotel. Well done does not even begin to express our thanks and appreciation for everything the staff at this exceptional property does right, each and every day. Many, many thanks. Until we meet again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, to celebrate your wedding anniversary and also for taking so much of your time to share with us the lovely impressions you have about the stay.

My aim as a boutique family hotelier, with five generations of tradition, is to allow my clients to experience a unique and enjoyable break and make them feel “home away from home” – and your lovely and flattering comments of appreciation make me happy to know that in this instance, my goal has gone well beyond my best expectations!

It has also been my pleasure to pass on to the staff concerned, your vivid description of gratification, concerning your dining experience at Imàgo.

On a closing note, I hope the future holds in store other opportunities for you to return and repeat and maybe even exceed this experience!

washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The magic began at check in. Gracious, welcoming staff. Room 608 with a terrace and 360 degree of Rome. Room beautifully decorated with every convenience imaginable. Comfort and class with all the right attitude. We will definitely return. Thank you all. We were treated like royalty.

Room Tip: 608 is top floor. Quiet. View cannot be beat.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 22, 2012

Greetings from the Eternal City!

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note of appreciation.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every client’s expectation, your note about the room and the service gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments.

We all look forward to welcoming you again to the Hassler in the near future.

Kind regards,

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week. we were sure that this hotel is the BEST in rome. BUT - we were wrong. Although the hotel is nice, the breakfast is good and the rooftop restaurant is impressive - the room and the hotel itself is old, tired and glooming.

We don't recommend this hotel because if you want a really great hotel in rome you should look else where. this hotel is too expensive and too old.

i strongly recommend you to check the jumeirah hotel at via Veneto. this hotel in my opinion is THE BEST in rome for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 16, 2012

Greetings from the Eternal City!

Thank you for having stayed at the Hassler while in Rome, and also for having taken time to share your impressions, which I always find extremely important – whether they be positive, or negative – as in this case.

Obviously, I was sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations, but would like to reassure you, that while maintaining our historic texture, we are presently implementing various novelties which I hope that, despite your immediate reaction, you might decide that during some future occasion you would like to experience in person.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are many hotels in Rome, so you're guaranteed many lodging experiences -- but if you want that white glove continental service, stay here. The plant is gorgeous, and advantageously located near the radial center of the city. The staff is courteous, friendly, and solicitous, and they forgive your poor Italian should you choose to parlo in the native tongue. We had a room overlooking the garden, and felt comfortable from the start. The best part of the Hassler's set up is the bathroom, not surprisingly: Double sinks, marble all the way, separate shower and toilet. You have to have a serious bathroom to contend for the top slot, and this place scores in that regard. Also, the proprietor personally responded to my guest review card -- what do you think of that?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, November 14, 2012

Greetings from the Eternal City!

First of all I would like to thank you again for having stayed at the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

It was very nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciated your detailed description of all the aspects you found to your gratification.

We look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

greensboro ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this grand hotel 9/29 after our cruise. Best hotel I have ever stayed in from the location, service, room, staff, food and drinks. This trip was for my birthday and the Hassler went out of their way to make our stay special. After a day of touring we came back to a chilled bottle of sparkling wine along with a beautiful fruit tray. They even let us take the wine to the roof top bar to see the sun set. They also gave up an upgrade to a large room with a balcony. Can't wait to go back to the Hassler when back in Roma.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely words of appreciation.

It is our constant aim to make our guests feel at home and to render each stay as comfortable as possible. So as you can imagine, I was delighted to learn that we succeeded in doing so, while you were here celebrating the special occasion of your birthday.

We look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you to the Hassler sometime in the future.

Greetings from the Eternal City and kind regards,

Saint Paul, Minnesota
1,090 helpful votes 1,090 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Pros: Check-in was well-organized and timely, I was led up to the room and given a tour of the premises by a staff member. Room was clean with all of the basic amenities. House cleaning was perfect. The location is almost impossible to beat: at the top of the Spanish Steps with a Metro station (and an elevator!) minutes away. Dining was excellent; the breakfast buffet was lavish, Salone Eva had a great menu, and Imago was magnificent (see separate review). Service from the concierge, porters, doormen, etc. was overall prompt and courteous: in short what I would expect from a hotel of this caliber.

Cons: Tough to come up with many…. I had some minor problems with the TV menu in my room (I’m usually used to a printed dossier that describes the hotel’s services) but that’s about it.

Summary: A traditional luxury hotel in the mold of The National in Moscow or the Grand Bretagne in Athens. I would definitely stay here again and am looking forward to a future visit in the years to come. Those looking for a modern ultra-luxe (spa, pool, faux golden lions, etc.) experience may be disappointed but should stay at the Hilton Cavalieri anyways! If The Hassler is good enough for Audrey Hepburn it’s good enough for me. Thumbs up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having spent your time at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken time to share your comments concerning the stay.

It was a pleasure to extend your words of appreciation to the entire team. I always expect staff to do their best to make each stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible, so I am pleased to read that with you, we succeeded!

We all look forward to welcoming you again to the Hassler in the near future.

President and Managing Director

Been to Hotel Hassler? Share your experiences!